SAU Community

33 Gtst or 180sx HELP!

Disclaimer : these are only my opinion, so don't come flaming my ass for it. :flamed:

I'd be leaning towards to 180SX purely from an aftermarket point of view. Face it, comparing what the japanese market have for SR20DETs and vice versa for the RB25DET, the ol' SR wins. Partly due to their popularity for drift usage as well...

Interior wise, I'll have to agree the old-school plastics and seat material aren't the best looking thing in 2004, compared with the R33 Skylines which is much more spacious. Now depending on who you are, I find the R33's interior too big, the seating position doesn't exactly inspire confidence, whereas with the 180SX I find that you're sitting in the car rather than on it.

+ the R33s GTSt/s are too heavy and underpowered from factory...but I guess that's why there's always the GT-R up on top of the food chain. :kick:

r33goesoff: are you sure you've raced your mate in the 180? either his car is stock and yours is heavily modified, or theres something seriously wrong with the way he's driving or his car.

I would go a 1994 model 180 or 2litre turbo silvia (same thing, whichever one you like the look of the best).. drive it around, take it to skid pan days, spend very little on it to make it go fast..

The reason being, the s13 is a lot easier to break the traction barrier and will teach you far more about driving a performance rear-ender than a skyline will. Its also 10x more fun to drive. They FEEL faster and the acceleration is more punchier as its a smaller, lighter car.

Around corners? probably the s13. :)

If you HAVE to have a skyline, get an r32. The r33 gtst is a hero car :D Don't buy one of these unless you like to wear your underpants on the outside.

Spend 15k now on something fast and small, then in a few years from now you can upgrade to an r34 or an older gtr.

You should be able to pick up a 95 for 25k easily. I just brought one in from Japan, and all up including insurance, comes to about $17,800 and I have a 95 series 1.5 GTST. Im also pretty young as you can see, however I learnt to drive on an older car before purchasing the Skyline as it really doesnt matter if you bang it here or there, where as if you did it in your line, you probably get really annoyed!!

Im only using 3rd party property as I dont really want to fork out so much just for insurance. The only thing im really worried about, is theft of the skyline, so thats why im spending big on the security part of the car, because its a one off payment.

Go for something that will get you a-b that you can learn and build your skills up on, and in the mean time, save your $$ for your Skyline, thats what I did and no loans involved so no interest :)

BTW, im pretty sure Justcar dont do fire & theft for N.S.W

Thanks for all your help guys. I have decided that I would be better suited to the 180. That shot was gold!

But this dose not mean that I will never buy a skyline. I'm gunna wait untill I can appreciate/afford it a little more.

So 15 grand will get me a decent 94 180 will it? (SR20DET. Gos without saying really) How about body kits for them? Anyone know of any good brands to go for? And how's the size of the back seat? Will my mates have to eat their knee caps every time I go over bumps? I'v only bin in one, a long time ago so I can't remember. Can't be any worse than a series four RX7's right? It's not as pointless as those back seats is it?

thanks laters

There's a few VERY nice 180's for sale every so often.

I'd say $15,000 would get a very good, stockish SR20 5-speed.

Closer to $20 gives you a bit more mods.

I'd hate to say this but the Skylines do tend to 'insulate' you from the outside a bit much - a more 'raw' car like the S13 would be better from a learning standpoint. Pretty much just as fast, just as fun to drive.

Screw bodykits... you're here to learn, not to cruise Chaps! Keep the body clean, put on some good tyres and cheap Aussie rims.

Back seat room I found a LOT worse than the Skylines but so what? Not my problem...

T.

Ahh the old 180 vs R33 debate.

I was saving/researching for 18 months untill I knew both the s13 and r33 like the back of my hand. I had a budget of 17.5k and decided the 180 was the car for me, based mainly on the fact that performance was my biggest concern. Shopped for another 5 months trying to find the perfect 180 for me.

Ended up buying an r33 with fmic, bodykit, safc, ebc, hks super drager low k's etc etc, running low 13's for $14,500 and never looked back.

My advice is to just shop around and wait for a good deal, in all the fun of getting our turbo cars we forget about our loans. My 5k loan was hard enough to pay back :D

Ahh the old 180 vs R33 debate.

I was saving/researching for 18 months untill I knew both the s13 and r33 like the back of my hand. I had a budget of 17.5k and decided the 180 was the car for me, based mainly on the fact that performance was my biggest concern. Shopped for another 5 months trying to find the perfect 180 for me.

Ended up buying an r33 with fmic, bodykit, safc, ebc, hks super drager low k's etc etc, running low 13's for $14,500 and never looked back.

My advice is to just shop around and wait for a good deal, in all the fun of getting our turbo cars we forget about our loans. My 5k loan was hard enough to pay back :D

Damn, that was a good price, what year model and was it manual ? As for bodykits on the 180, I say go for the BN kit, which kinda looks phat! You should log onto www.nissansilvia.com because they always have alot of 180's for sale, the guy on this forum selling his has the BN kit (Druzilla32)...

Thanks for the link Mr_G. Sweet as site.

Yeah i'm not that worryed with the back seat TOnyGTSt. Not like i'll ever be in it, so it won't be my problem ether. But I really don't want a two seater. And no I gotta have a body kit. Gotta give it a bitta personality? So it don't look like 'just another 180'. Don't get me wrong it'll be just mags, paint and the kit. I ain't one of those wannabe drift kid's that slaps like a thousand HKS, Greddy, Apex'i, Trust ect stickers down the front quarter pannles of his stock s13 and thinks he's Japan's new D1 master. lol. Their's a right time and place for that kinda driving.

Also I just bought a Blitz Fatt-X turbo timer for my exa and I got it home and you guessed it jap instructions. So I was hopen if anybody could help me out with finding a way to decode them. And yes they are on the site but no they don't want to translate in any programs I have. Or if anyone has installed one and has english instructions could they please mail me? Thanks again. Later

tough choice. i just bought a 180sx and my mate picked up an R33 gtst for $13500. car has only done 75000kms on the clock. he got a pretty good bargain. (good thing about living in WA, all the overseas asian students but jap cars and sell them really cheap when they have to go home. 5 months later my mate sold the skyline for $20 000)

ive driven both cars and i find the skyline has better top end, then my 180. i used to beat the skyline in drags until my mate put a FMIC on and got it tuned. skyline chews more gas but it has a better interior and a lot more leg room than the 180. only a midget would be able to set in the back of the 180. the stock 180's look shit house. both engines are reliable and good for heaps of mods.

heres my 180.

My Silvia has been an absolutely fantastic, very very fast car.

If anyone in QLD wants to buy it, its a 1991 Silvia K's (sr20det of course) .. only a few minor modifications.. its the best condition s13 i've ever seen, but i'm biased. :)

I'm ugprading to a GTR soon, and would take $13500 for it. And yes, i have smoked many r33's with this car.

I say go for the 180. I've seen plenty of skylines with nice looking body kits on them. If you are gonna put a body kit on the car you buy then get the 180 cause I've hardly seen any out there with nice looking body kits on them.

R33, i used to own a S13 and sell it in 6 months. Buying a skyline is one of the best thing i have done in my life :)

R33 is a pretty all round car, once u own it then u will find out what u really want, then go for a R32, S13, S14 or maybe WRX if u don't like yr skyline.

and yes, people love me when i drive a skyline, hate me when i own a S13.

i think skyline is even head turning then my S15 now :)