SAU Community

Formula One 2014

I do want Magnussen to challenge for the championship, plus if I had the coin, one of my first purchases would be a MP4-12C or 650S.

Even though I am a Lotus and Williams fan. (don't particularly care for their current drivers)

And for those who are old enough to remember weekend at Bernies, this turned up in my inbox today, oh the memories of how much I relied on engine braking in my old XY, and the sound mmmmmmm

Some better quality photos from the weekend. Waiting to get to the rest of my photos, but these are a couple from race day:

13236493265_5a5a121bae_b.jpg
IMG_2750 by 89CAL, on Flickr

13236518405_05d6746a2a_b.jpg
IMG_2832 by 89CAL, on Flickr

13236899624_19f12fdc80_b.jpg
IMG_2837 by 89CAL, on Flickr

13236867534_970f5100aa_b.jpg
IMG_2841 by 89CAL, on Flickr

13236532285_d3962a495d_b.jpg
IMG_2846 by 89CAL, on Flickr

13236565465_d5a0921c01_b.jpg
IMG_2898 by 89CAL, on Flickr

13236915904_98b0ac3324_b.jpg
IMG_3021 by 89CAL, on Flickr

13236803703_552d55c859_b.jpg
Edit 1 by 89CAL, on Flickr

I do want Magnussen to challenge for the championship, plus if I had the coin, one of my first purchases would be a MP4-12C or 650S.

Even though I am a Lotus and Williams fan. (don't particularly care for their current drivers)

And for those who are old enough to remember weekend at Bernies, this turned up in my inbox today, oh the memories of how much I relied on engine braking in my old XY, and the sound mmmmmmm

Go the mini!!!

I also loved the little alfa 1750 now that's a cool car. :)

But not as cool as the mini. ;)

I don't really understand all the focus ont he sound all over the interwebs. Sure they don't sound as good, no argument there, but that is very secondary to the spectacle of motorsport to me. There was way more to like than dislike about the new cars imo.

less aero grip = more driving

more grunt = more driving

tyres that actually work was a very welcome sight!

You can see the drivers are having to actually pedal the things again. That hasn't been the case for decades. It was awesome! That's what the World DRIVERS Championship should be about. Noise? meh - who cares...

Again I agree with Harry. To me they don't even sound that bad, but that has far less to do with the spectacle than the actual driving. I just like the fact that it's all been given a shake up. Less grip, inconsistent electronic systems (brake by wire) sorts the wheat from the chaff. As always, they will have the technology nailed within a year or 2, and the effects will flow on to us mere mortals.

How many of you guys were there when Turbo F1's first came out? They were a laughing stock as they were always expiring in clouds of white smoke. It took a couple of seasons before they started getting their act together and winning races. Before long the world sat up and took notice. At the time there were a couple of manufacturers offering turbos, but they were either high performance sports cars, or fairly ordinary attempts by mainstream manufacturers (Laser, Sigma etc.) Now there probably isn't a manufacturer who doesn't offer at least one turbo model.

If they fine tune this new technology the same way it will be a big step towards giving us efficient, exciting cars. Personally I see the end game as a good thing.

People who complain about the sound have clearly either; not been fans for very long, or more likely, not attended this years race in person to witness the horror

The spectacle is gone, its now just cars racing. Thats the difference

I imagine it would be worse on the straights, but where I was at turns 3/4 it didnt seem as bad. I miss the scream of the V8's but was cool hearing the turbo whistle etc when they accelerated out of 3 then backed out into 4. Bit of turbo flutter for some of the cars to

I'd rather the V8's because they are a bit more special. But I can live with the V6 noise because I think the racing is still good

I imagine it would be worse on the straights, but where I was at turns 3/4 it didnt seem as bad. I miss the scream of the V8's but was cool hearing the turbo whistle etc when they accelerated out of 3 then backed out into 4. Bit of turbo flutter for some of the cars to

I'd rather the V8's because they are a bit more special. But I can live with the V6 noise because I think the racing is still good

hey I was at turn 3/4 also. B side row M I think it was a good corner for offs and failed late braking attempts.

Perez, maldonardo, Vergne and Raikonnen all had good offs there, shame raikonnen was too busy avoiding perez and binning it Q2

My hatred for Dennis has been renewed by the article on Autosport about DCs time at McLaren. Farking egotistical carntbag!!! Hope Mac eat d1ck all year!!!

Wow ok, I haven't read the article yet however Ron was always known to be a dictator and a bit of a flamin mongrel at times.

So far I'm liking what I've seen from young Kevin. :)

Yeh, good on him. Happy for a young level headed guy coming in and keeping an old fella very honest.

I was alwasy a DC fan, and the article touches on a debrief session when Mika and DC were in there with engineers and testing manager and mid de-brief RD walks in and asks "what are we doing..." . After the response from the testing manager he clarifies "well ok, now what are they doing" pointing at DC and his engineer.

The use of "we" for Mika and the team and then "they" for DC and his engineer. Only to later tell DC to move over in two races handing Mika wins...there is plenty on the article that sets the tone for how RD trends to treat people and divide the people in the team into corners. No wonder a guy like Montoya and Alonso had trouble fitting in with a wanker like RD running the show

Yeh, good on him. Happy for a young level headed guy coming in and keeping an old fella very honest.

I was alwasy a DC fan, and the article touches on a debrief session when Mika and DC were in there with engineers and testing manager and mid de-brief RD walks in and asks "what are we doing..." . After the response from the testing manager he clarifies "well ok, now what are they doing" pointing at DC and his engineer.

The use of "we" for Mika and the team and then "they" for DC and his engineer. Only to later tell DC to move over in two races handing Mika wins...there is plenty on the article that sets the tone for how RD trends to treat people and divide the people in the team into corners. No wonder a guy like Montoya and Alonso had trouble fitting in with a wanker like RD running the show

I see what you are on about, I'm just rewatching the gp now and they tried to interview Sam and he wouldn't speak to them..

James Allen said that Ron has gagged the team and only Ron and Eric are allowed to talk to the media now?

It's his home race ffs..

merc had the same issues but changed their fuel mapping when asked to.

redbull didn't...

it's pretty clear, regardless of their measures being claimed to be more accurate or not.

I don't see the FIA conceeding and making their fuel meter supplier and themselves look like fools.