SAU Community

Formula One 2014

Professor Emmanuel Gay carried out a second operation to remove a large blood clot within the brain itself, after Schumacher's condition briefly stabilised Tuesday morning AEST.

The two-hour surgery successfully removed the large haematoma and subsequent scans had shown a slight improvement.But the doctors are wary of any prognosis, short term or even long term and said he was still in serious danger.

They would not be drawn on how long he would remain in a coma and said the next 24 hours was critical.Professor Gay said: "There is still some blood and haematomas everywhere, that's why the situation has to be looked at hour by hour, we are looking at a serious brain injury and the situation can still develop.

The other haematomas are not accessible, they are not of the same size as the one removed.''During the second surgery, the doctors were able to reduce the pressure on the brain and said the former Formula One driver was in a phase of relative stability.

Doctors said the first operation soon after the accident was to remove a blood clot that was just outside of the brain, and it had been too risky to eliminate the large blood clot within the brain on the left side of his head.

But surgeons took advantage of a small window of stability to conduct the second operation, which they said had resulted in better control of the intracranial pressure."On the controlled scans taken this morning [it showed the haematoma] was evacuated and the level of intracranial pressure has certainly improved, but scans shows other lesions on the brain," said Professor Gay."They will be supervised and followed and up, we will supervise situation on an hourly basis in intensive care."

The doctors earlier remarked that Schumacher would have been killed instantly on Sunday morning if he had not been wearing a helmet when he fell and cracked his head on rocks in the off piste ski area in Meribel ski resort in the French alps.

Two days after the accident, he remains in an induced coma in intensive care at the University Hospital of Grenoble with his wife Corinna and their children Mick, 14, and daughter Gina-Marie, 16, at his bedside. Other family members have also arrived to support Corinna, hospital officials said.

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/sport/motorsport/michael-schumacher-slightly-improved-but-still-critical/story-fncei7d9-1226792370825

Schumacher improves following second operation

Surgeons treating Michael Schumacher said they have detected an improvement in his condition but have cautioned that the grand prix champion is still not out of danger.

After consulting his family, surgeons performed a second operation overnight to relieve pressure on his brain.

While the doctors said there are some positive signs and there is a slight improvement in his condition, they disclosed that more lesions were discovered on his brain.

Professor Jean-Francois Payan said: “We have received a transitional improvement on the brain for Michael Schumacher which meant that we could take a new scan without putting him at risk.

“This scan showed that he is relatively stable.

“So this morning we took more scans and we have noticed we have evacuated the haematoma which is situated on the left hand side of the brain which means the situation is better controlled than yesterday.

“The scans showed that the haematoma was correctly evacuated and there was an improvement.

“But scans show that there are other lesions on the brain and show these lesions need to be kept in check and we need to check on these every hour.”

The second operation took around two hours however the medical team treating Schumacher said the ensuing hours will be crucial to the outcome.

Surgeons remain standfast in not divulging any prognosis about Schumacher’s future.

“We can’t say that he is out of danger but we now have a bit more time in the evolution.

“The hours to come will be crucial to the outcome.

“Yesterday we found a window of opportunity to do this operation at the beginning of the evening.

“With the permission of the family who also wanted to do this.

“We still can’t say we have won but there has been some highs and some lows.”

Schumacher, whose condition remains critical, remains too fragile to transfer to another hospital and any decision to do so will come at a later date.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/12/31/schumacher-shows-improvement-following-second-operation/

I thought they had pneumatic valves?

or are they only pneumatic assisted?

or is this a new thing with the new engines?

I'd like to know much more about the new engines, why do they have to be so secretive :P

I thought they had pneumatic valves?

or are they only pneumatic assisted?

or is this a new thing with the new engines?

I'd like to know much more about the new engines, why do they have to be so secretive :P

pneumatic valve springs. they've always been cam actuated.

I'd rather watch R/C cars racing than than FormulaE, if that is what they are going to be like, especially with the ridiculous 100m dash that the drivers have to do in the middle of the race when they change cars after 20 minutes.