SAU Community

Formula One 2014

What a race!

Fantastic to see Dan on the top step!

I guess massa misjudged the braking distance of the force India after they seemed to have the same rear brake issues. But yeah, Vetool should buy a lottery ticket. That would have been very nasty for him if that t-boned him

Seems Perez has got a grid penalty for moving racing line.

yeah i did think perez had moved in the braking zone, but the camera angle which would have been good was the massa onboard which cuts out right when it all happens...

but also massa maybe should have moved further left too

Tried to avoid all reports as I have not see the race yet but that failed so in reading comments hard to tell if Dan won by driving a good race or if it was by good luck or bad on others. Can't wait to get home and watch it though.

wow where did button come from

Having fresh tyres late in the race the commentators were saying how he was the fastest man on the track. He only passed a few cars, having massa and perez crash out in front of him jumped him up a bit

yeah i did think perez had moved in the braking zone, but the camera angle which would have been good was the massa onboard which cuts out right when it all happens...

but also massa maybe should have moved further left too

Its hard to say because the in car camera cut out, but it looked a bit like Massa turned into him a bit at the last minute. There was plenty of room, and it was rather dumb to get that close when such a good result was up for grabs.

Can honestly say for the first time in a while I was on the edge of my seat for the last 10 laps or so. So happy for Dan, was a great drive. Edge of your seat stuff

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Mercedes? Have they pushed the engines too far early in the year?

I doubt it, will probably be a minor problem that they will fix straight away, but would be good if they could have issues to open up the championship a bit again, few more different winners would make it a bit more exciting.

I think Perez had to brake a lot earlier than normal which probably caught Massa out, still a bit of a rookie error being that close...Perez was always going to turn in on him at some stage...

Tried to avoid all reports as I have not see the race yet but that failed so in reading comments hard to tell if Dan won by driving a good race or if it was by good luck or bad on others. Can't wait to get home and watch it though.

Well he had to make the most of three tiny little windows - the first to get past Vettel at the pit stop, the second to get past the Force it India and the last to get into the lead. So three from three and a really good win. Compare his efforts with, say Massa's, who ended up in hospital and probably cost his team near on a million bucks in repairs and lost prize money. Or Maldanado. Or Kimi.

lol I wouldn't call the pass to get into the lead a "tiny little window". More like a gaping big bloody hole! Rosberg's Mercedes limping along to the finish line down 160bhp less and no rear brakes...

It was a great move on Perez around the outside on the absolute limit - Seb commended him on that in the driver's room before the podium, but Perez was having rear brake issues as well.

Edited by hrd-hr30

My point was he didnt have long to get the three things done and any hesitation in any of them would have meant p2 not p1. Or p3 like his team mate. Not saying they were epic overtakes or anything just that he made the most of the little time he had.

Still we can always rely on you to find something to pick apart and rain on the yocal drivers parade with.

Anyway a MB motor that is 160bhp down is pobably not far from equal to a Renault given how rubbish they have been this year.

How is saying he made a great pass on Perez "raining on his parade"??? Deadset, you parocial Aussies are touchy!

Nor is saying that Merc had not MGU "raining on his parade". It's just true. He blew past down that straight like Rosberg was standing still.

If you want to talk about picking stuff apart and unfairly talking down drivers, that was you "Compare his efforts with, say Massa's, who ended up in hospital and probably cost his team near on a million bucks in repairs and lost prize money." when it was clearly Perez's fault.

Edited by hrd-hr30

No the Perez reference (Atleast the first half) isnt.

But this bit: "lol I wouldn't call the pass to get into the lead a "tiny little window"." where you have miscontrued the meaning of what I posted clearly is.

As for Massa it wasnt his fault but that is not the same thing as saying he should not have been so close such that it put him in a vulnerable position. Atleast he remembered to open his DRS on that lap so good on him. Williams needs the results, needs the points and having a car in the wall achieves nothing.

My broader point is that one of the ways you tell if a driver is good is that they make the most of the little opportunities that sometimes present themselves. Like Dan, Jensen and one or two others in Canada. Even Britney although he was probably more lucky than anything. The radio messages mid race were to push the brake bias backwards as he was losing time. It was more mischance than planning that meant this setup compensated for the MGU failure. Not using the rears up to that point probably meant he got home where Homo did not.

nah, I didn't misinterpret what you said. You said getting into the lead was one of three tiny little windows he had to make the most of.

Well he had to make the most of three tiny little windows - the first to get past Vettel at the pit stop, the second to get past the Force it India and the last to get into the lead.

That wasn't a tiny little window. That was a yawning chasm that even Chilton would have managed to "make the most of". All he had to do was drive past him down the straight with about 50kph advantage on his side. But if it makes you feel better to pretend that was a "tiny little window" of opportunity that Dan "made the most of" to steal victory, then go right ahead with your delusion...

RE Massa - shouldn't have been that close? Are you serious? It's hard to pass someone if you're not allowed to get close to them. You'd be singing a different tune if Perez had jinked at Dan taking them both out when he squeezed past... We wouldn't be hearing "Dan's fault for being so close to him" or " cost his team a million bucks" or "Red Bull needs the results, and the points and having a car in the wall achieves nothing", would we?

Edited by hrd-hr30
  • Like 1

nah, that was you turning it into a pissing competition...

Still we can always rely on you to find something to pick apart and rain on the yocal drivers parade with.

apparently pointing out that the merc was 160bhp down and had no rear brakes is nit-picking to "rain on the yocal drivers parade". More accurate to descibe it as Dan "making the most of a tiny little window to get into the lead"

deadset

Edited by hrd-hr30

Gotta agree with Harry here. Good on Ricciardo for taking the win, he was there to capitalise and did, but the Merc was seriously down on power and waiting for it's rear brakes to fail just like the sister car... Dan's pass on Rosberg was as straight forward as they come, and if Massa and Perez didn't come together, he would have had the exact same opportunity to do it on the last lap anyway

Not with the crash he wouldn't

and if Massa and Perez didn't come together, he would have had the exact same opportunity to do it on the last lap anyway

Missed read that last line Dezz

He was lucky he did make the pass on that lap, would have been nice to finish the race under normal conditions though.

Edited by stR33ter
  • Like 1