SAU Community

Anyone for some Yankee Iron?

Roy

well i reken that my dream ride would be a Shelby Cobra

im planning to buid one when im older with a big block chev engine

hmmm nice car!

just for weekends and cruises :D

cept ill run it on gas with the price of fuel and all :)

course ill keep the import tho!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh btw i have u 2 blame :)

uve made me go after a c4(?) 86 vette  

can get one for 8500 or so but just need to find out how much to do a conversion n where the best place would b

LOL, when yoiu pick it up come and take me for a ride. The prices i have seen is about $12,000 to get the thing converted and registered, this does not include compliancing if its under 15 years old.

If you are looking at an 86 Vette be sure that it well maintained, or go for an 88 or later model as they had a revision that year meaning they have a bit more power, revised suspension, in 89 they got rid of the pesky 4 spd manual with 3 spd electronic overdive etc etc. For under 30k you can get a pretty sweet ride...wotn re-write speed records etc etc, but i woudlnt be able to stop smiling every time i drove one

Actually Roy, the ZL1 had the all-aluminium engine and was slated for use in racing but only saw a few drag strip passes before they were all put into cotton wool. The L88 was raced at Le Mans and used an iron block. They built a fair few of them as well so it's probably the L88 cars you were thinking of...

However, despite the ZL1's rarity, Road & Track managed a 10.3@238km/h with wheelspin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd with the Holley 1050 and larger-bore pipes (sans-mufflers). Back in 1969, the ZL1 was over $USD10,000 when a Phase 2 GT-HO Falc was only $4990.

When R&T did their massive "Outlaw Shootout" in 1970, they got the ZL1 Vette, ZL1 COPO Camaro, Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda Trans-Am (426ci Hemi, AO88D 4spd, Track Pack suspension)and a Mustang 428CJ (428ci Cobra Jet). The Vette owned them all on everything recording a perfect 100 (this was a comparo based solely on performance).

Personally, I could live with all those foibles mentioned. Every car has its own pitfalls (something known as "character" for fans of classic Italian/English cars) and that's something you've got to put up with.

While I'll probably never own my 65 Vette (a rough big-block version costs near $100,000), the thought of a woofly fuellie 327 still gets me droolin....

stop dreaming about old muscle cars, sell the skylines and live the dream.

rough idles, no aircon, wind up windows, permanant in car heating, huge fuel bills, hard to drive, no power steering :P

i wouldn't give it up for anything !!!!

Actually Roy, the ZL1 had the all-aluminium engine and was slated for use in racing but only saw a few drag strip passes before they were all put into cotton wool. The L88 was raced at Le Mans and used an iron block. They built a fair few of them as well so it's probably the L88 cars you were thinking of...

:P ZL1 ...

Oh ok, i thought the ZL1 was still iron block, I know the L88s raced in the domestic series, i thought it was the ZL1 that ran at Le Mans....sounds like im wrong though. :)

Is my memory correct in saying that the L88 ran triple 2 barrel carbs, was the ZL1 the same? :confused:

While I'll probably never own my 65 Vette (a rough big-block version costs near $100,000), the thought of a woofly fuellie 327 still gets me droolin....

:werd: ... got your Powerball tickets for toni ght...im getting mine in the way home from work :uh-huh:

Hmmm, triples deuces on the L88? I dunno, but I thought it came with a 4bbl and could be optioned at certain Chevrolet dealerships (like Yenko, Baldwin Motion, Dana, Berger and Nickey) with a "lo-rize" tunnel ram and twin 4bbls.

I thought the Six-Pack set-up was a MoPar-only thing.... :confused:

I saw a lovely black 67 Pontiac Firebird rag-top in Park St in the Sydney CBD last week. Had all the 400ci "Bad Bird" badges and was cool as f--k. Whoever built that motor put a biiiiig cam in it 'cause it was rockin' and rollin' at idle, turning so many heads. Traffic opened up in front of it and the driver booted it, leaving us all gawking at the wonderous exhaust note...