SAU Community

Anyone ordered an exhaust from Japan?

Hi,

Been looking at a full exhaust (turbo back) for my 33, probably going to go for a Japanese one. Just wondering if anyone's had one bought one from Japan before, and was it fairly straightforward?

At the moment I'm sorting tossing up full stainless (heavy = freight costs) or a titanium catback (lighter, less freight)..

*heavy = compared with the titanium one..*

I bought a cat-back exhaust from Japan, and the freight was HORRENDOUS.

Granted, it was sent via BAX Airmail and got here in 1.5 days, but it didn't work out to be much cheaper than if I bought it from here... It would probably be a lot cheaper if you chose a slightly slower shipping method.

Cat-back exhausts are HEAVY!!! When they brought it out of the customs warehouse, it came out on a forklift because it was so heavy and bulky (biiiiig box) and it wouldn't fit in my car (soooo long!)

also, if it's a one-piece exhaust (eg APEXi GT-spec), I think the shipping company may charge a lot for the sheer amount of space the box takes up, not just the weight. When I was in the market for exhaust, I tossed up buying direct myself or buying from local shop that had the Jap exhaust in stock, and ended up buying here. Less hassle and probably around the same cost anyway..

also, if it's a one-piece exhaust (eg APEXi GT-spec), I think the shipping company may charge a lot for the sheer amount of space the box takes up, not just the weight.  When I was in the market for exhaust, I tossed up buying direct myself or buying from local shop that had the Jap exhaust in stock, and ended up buying here.  Less hassle and probably around the same cost anyway..

Exactly what I bought (Apexi GT-Spec)... OMG, I nearly fainted when they brought out the box via a forklift...

First thought that went through my mind was "Holy chit, there ain't no way in HELL that thing is going to fit in my car!!"

Second thought was, "Whoa... no wonder shipping was so much!"