SAU Community

Front Facing Plenum, Multipule Intake Mods And Engineering Certificate

V-Spec

lets say i have an r33 gtst, front mount and an airbox on

engineering cirt for the holes cut and its all legal, cops stop me, no dramas

lets say i change to a front facing plenum, that makes a no no 2 intake mods.

is there any way i can have this legal?

obviously with all the emissions plugged in?
is it not possible or will it require another engineering cirt?
i live in Victoria and aware the laws may be different per state.
thanks for the advice in advace
Rich

My understanding in VIC is 1 intake mod only, whether it be a aftermarket cooler, pods or whatever.

You shouldnt need a engineers certificate for intake mods from my understanding unless you were making holes that may effect the structural integrity of the car.

Most coppers dont know what they are looking at when you open the hood anyway, they are just looing for things that stand out with brand names and shiny or anodized.

Paint your front mount black, say its factory and tell them your front plenum is the only mod (and hope for the best)

Edited by GTRPSI

dont get me wrong, i could reem off pleanty of ways to evade. neo engine cover etc rb26 markings so police think its a standard intake etc

and i know you can get away with it for years.

but the question is there a legal way? at all?

when i got the holes cut for the cooler and got it engineered it was a load off my mind because i knew that 99.9% of police were off my case unless i was doing something stupid.

i can spin it when it comes between paperwork and cars but i want to know if there is any legal way what so ever to have this mod done.

It is a fairly blanket law, I don't think there is a way around it, the police will simply defect it anyway.

What are you hoping to achieve with the ffp? I have seen 430kw flow fine through the stock one...

scotty, im quite sure they will. and afraid it will always be that way.

in the past ive always been intelligible and nice enough to explain to the police that my car is legal and have the paperwork to back it up.

is there any strict engineering regulations that absolutly prohibit me from driving a car with those specs.

Can it be tested again and a cirtificate drawn out that it can be legal that way? hell, im willing to pay the $700 for it! What about hot rods. some of the things done to them is obscene and police seem to leave them alone although i acknowledge theres an obvious difference between the two.

i know what im proposing is not wise but is it possible??

Can you engineer an RB26 into it? That might get around the ffp bit anyway...

Return flow coolers are good for 430+, and I can fit 2.5 inch down past the radiator for cross flow setups. No need for cutting holes in the chassis unless you are planning 450+kw these days. How much did the cert cost you? All the bureaucrats have done is help us prove the stock gear flows more than enough. :P

scotty, i appreciate your replys, and i know the stock stuff flows well. i knew a guy who did a full port match vlt intake and exhaust including hiflow turbo with stock vlt gear in a r31 and made 260+ rwkw wolf3d + injectors on a standard throttle body!

but im not in the market to buy or flow standard gear as i already have the greddy plenum fitted and running. i f**ked the motor replacing the bottom end bearings as they were the wrong size so i bought a new motor, the greddy plenum fitted.

i need to know from someone with solid expierence around getting engineering cirtificates if its possible at all.

None of us can help then, you need to talk to an engineer willing to accept responsibility, and then it will need to pass an expensive emissions test, (which it will most likely fail) and as you have a programmable ecu the EPA will never pass. (unless you go straight LPG)

Engineers / VASS = Mechanical only. Not detailed emissions.

EPA = Detailed emissions.

Plenum comes under emissions. Put simply, you won't get that legal. You have to undergo full ADR testing in Vic as that's how it is. That'll cost you more than the car is worth.

Hot Rods are not a good example as they are pre EPA laws, plus they are cool, Police tend to leave them alone.

Also if the VASS signed off on any cooler holes in a Airbag equipped car and they are chassis cut, you will still get Police sending you for another engineers as they should not have signed off on that one and Police know that, again, if chassis was cut only.