SAU Community

Harness Bar...?

Adz2332

Dan,

Interested in more info on your half-cage? Was it supply only or installed for that price? Weld-in or bolt-in? Can it be upgraded to a 6 point later? Any pics. We are in a similar position - want to use a harness for trackwork, but not sure about fitting a harness bar if a half cage isn't much more expensive.

On a side note, that harness bar from Trackart looks like the shoulder straps may run above horizontal for shorter drivers and/or lower seats, which isn't allowed in Cams rules.

I looked into harness bars about 9 months ago and ended up getting a half cage with harness bar. I found that a good harness bar was going to be $600-700, and a half cams approved cage with paperwork was a bit over $900 from Fabraications.

For the extra couple of hundred I also have roll over protection and a stiffer chassis. All my squeaks and rattles have gone. It feels like a brand new car!

where was said half cage from?

Dan,

Interested in more info on your half-cage? Was it supply only or installed for that price? Weld-in or bolt-in? Can it be upgraded to a 6 point later? Any pics. We are in a similar position - want to use a harness for trackwork, but not sure about fitting a harness bar if a half cage isn't much more expensive.

On a side note, that harness bar from Trackart looks like the shoulder straps may run above horizontal for shorter drivers and/or lower seats, which isn't allowed in Cams rules.

It's a weld in half cage (don't think the bolt in was a different price). Mine came out to be a bit over $1k (inc install) as I also got them to tap the holes for 6 point harnesses in both the driver and passenger seats, and had them paint the cage. It can be upgraded to a 6 point later.

Got it from Greg at Fabraications in Melbourne. He measures and bends for every car, so it fits perfectly.

Don't actually have any pictures of the cage from inside the car. I can take some on the weekend and post or email them to you if you prefer.

• 1 month later...

I'd be buying Fatzmans one if I was after a harness bar!!!.

Nobody in this thread addressed the question about seat belts,,,so I thought I would.

4 point harnesses are ABSOLUTE CRAP. As fast as you can tighten the shoulder straps up,,,they are pulling the lap straps up as well,,,to the point of having the lap straps above your belly button. A frontal impact will see you basically submarining under them.

I've had the mis-fortune of driving and being a passenger with 4 points and I hated it. Upgrading from 4 to 5/6 quality points is just a crazy exercise because it means having to buy another set of belts. Buy it once and it's done.

Now as far as I'm concerned your choice between 5 and 6 points is sexual. Girls are okay because all there bits are tucked in (well they should be) and boys have to accomadate 2 gonades and the old fella. I had a 5 point in my old sports sedan and I could never get my man bits to sit comfortably. The 6 point I now run in the radical and the skyline allow me to adjust all my manhood nicely,,,one goes this side,,,one on the other and you mister,,,well you always go to the left (only poofs adjust to the right). One of the secrets to going fast is to be comfortable in the car and have all your gear in a happy place is paramount.

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 1

4 points work fine if you have a proper seat and your harness mount points are in the correct locations. Trying to use a 4 point on a std seat or cheap race seat can be problematic

Nope have to dis-agree with you Troy,,,4 points don't stop submarining and if your running a proper seat you should use the hole provided by the manufacturer,,,thats why they go to the trouble of making a 5th hole.

Cheers

Neil.

I made sure when i grabbed my 5 point harness the buckle was on the waist strap so day to day can just run the 4 point. When doing motorsport events i could then use the crotch strap. With my Racetech seat and where my harnsesses are secured the thing doest ride up and with an upright seating position there is no way i am submarining. So i never even bother to use the crotch strap.

Appreciate not all installations will be the same but rather than disagreeing with you more trying to point out it is still installation specific IMO

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'd be buying Fatzmans one if I was after a harness bar!!!.

Nobody in this thread addressed the question about seat belts,,,so I thought I would.

4 point harnesses are ABSOLUTE CRAP. As fast as you can tighten the shoulder straps up,,,they are pulling the lap straps up as well,,,to the point of having the lap straps above your belly button. A frontal impact will see you basically submarining under them.

I've had the mis-fortune of driving and being a passenger with 4 points and I hated it. Upgrading from 4 to 5/6 quality points is just a crazy exercise because it means having to buy another set of belts. Buy it once and it's done.

Now as far as I'm concerned your choice between 5 and 6 points is sexual. Girls are okay because all there bits are tucked in (well they should be) and boys have to accomadate 2 gonades and the old fella. I had a 5 point in my old sports sedan and I could never get my man bits to sit comfortably. The 6 point I now run in the radical and the skyline allow me to adjust all my manhood nicely,,,one goes this side,,,one on the other and you mister,,,well you always go to the left (only poofs adjust to the right). One of the secrets to going fast is to be comfortable in the car and have all your gear in a happy place is paramount.

Cheers

Neil.

Damn good explanation - i have to say.

Well said about the 4 point - in an emergency - if your legs have not enough support - ie : in a roll - you will submarine below the belt or come loose under the belt - better to get a 6 point and be done with it once and for all..