SAU Community

What not to do when your RB25DET gets rebuilt!!!

Steg33

Just had my RB25DET fully rebuilt with forgies and all the machining to match and it's been run in properly with the mineral oils etc... The only downfall is that the ECU that was in it is a remapped Jap chip and mustn't have been tuned real or had parts changed since. So without over boosting it, the picture attached is what happens when you don't put it straight on a dyno. A bit of a learning experience (expensive learning) but just a warning to anyone looking to rebuild, don't assume your ECU will be ok for running in because obviously your motor died for a reason!!

If you want to make a grown man cry, melt his new forgies! :)

The even worse thing is that the car was booked in to get finished and the Power FC was sitting on the passenger seat looking at me waiting to put in and be tuned when the white smoke started appearing in the rear vision mirror again.

This time all is taken care of, motor's just gone back in and the car should be on the dyno in the morning. Hoping for some nice figures soon.

Paying cost for the parts and the labour is for nothing because Benny (ex-BMT) @ Chasers is looking after me because of the bad luck. So i could have come out worse if i had to pay full price for everything + labour. That's about the only bright side of this.

Still crying tho because it's bye bye to the motorbike to pay for it.

Ouch, what new turbo is gonna be strapped onto the side?

It's already got a 3037 internal gate on it when it got the first rebuild so the turbo hasn't even had a chance to boost up yet.

Motor was started this arfternoon and the car is being trucked down to Race Pace to be put on the dyno in the morning. Now got the Q45 AFM and PFC in it.

Damn thats crazy. If it had just been freshly rebuilt, why did you give it a bootful anyway? LOL

Anyways good luck with the new rebuild...

It never copped a bootfull, that's the thing. It was run in for about 3000ks running low boost and only got given a little bit lately just to drive it normally, never got past 5K rpm, not even near red line because i was paranoyed about the computer. Most of the ks were done commuting to uni.

Needless to say the computer i took out got stomped on and pieces broken off everywhere. Wasn't even going to be sold once it was named the cause.

Are you sure the computer was the cause? I threw in a GTR fuel pump and it delivers so much now I have to use full mechanical advance to stop the motor choking on fuel when I want power. It uses so much juice that the hole in the ozone layer follows me around :D

Sorry to hear of your dramas. I too await the hallowed PFC install and refuse to drive the car until then.

Isnt Load a result of RPM?

Load is measured by the AFM or MAP sensor (whichever it uses)

This is how maps are created, one axis is rpm the other load.

Imagine if you are at 2000rpm down a hill, compared with 2000rpm going up a hill - you use more throttle going up the hill, as the load is higher. So both cases use the same rpm referrence, but different load referrence

I threw in a GTR fuel pump and it delivers so much now I have to use full mechanical advance to stop the motor choking on fuel when I want power. It uses so much juice that the hole in the ozone layer follows me around :D

Sorry to hear of your dramas. I too await the hallowed PFC install and refuse to drive the car until then.

Tell me your MPG and I'll beat you no problems :(

When I had my motor rebuilt I ran it for 2,000km before a dyno tune.

It had the old road tune on the maps already.

Can was extremely terrible on fuel early on - like as if friction were high (???) and things need bedding in.

I had a Bosch 44 fitted and the car was terribly surgey... like as if too much fuel.

Ran it on a dyno, car went back to normal response.

Did a thorough road tune via laptop, car is more surgey new, better response but fuel useage is dead on 'normal' for this type of car (ie. high but hardly worth a raise of the eyebrow).

T.