SAU Community

Glazed Rotors

Hey guys,

I think i might have glazed my rotors (pictures attached - ignore the rust as I just finish washing it) so will try to clean that up this weekend

The surface is not rough and brakes doesnt squeel (it did when i was bedding in) so not sure if i'm just over-thinking things

post-38031-0-35988100-1391091043_thumb.jpg post-38031-0-26850300-1391091068_thumb.jpg

Just wondering what's the best method to do it?

Just googling around and ppl suggesting sanding it down using 1200grit then with 2500 grit, and sanding the pads to remove the mirror finish as well then rebed the pads?

Thanks!

Edited by ichi-go

They shouldn't be rough. They should be nice and smooth. If they rust that convincingly after a wash, they probably don't have much in the way of pad binder glazed onto them. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are having problems with the brakes. Brakes shouldn't squeal. If they don't shudder and they bite hard, then they are probably fine.

If you want to clean up glazing, the best way is to go out and re-bed the pads. You need to work your way up to high speeds and hard braking, followed by working your way back down after keeping them quite hot for a while.

Hmm you do have a point about the rust, didnt have any problem with the brakes, no shudder and bite hard

I was on the track the other day and i did feel the brake had like an unsmooth surface when you apply the brake (not sure how to describe that feeling) but it was ok the whole day, it was only towards the end of the day that it happened... and my rotors do have this look when it didnt have rust on it:

imag0114mk.jpg

So i assumed i had glazed the rotors

I would try to deglaze with a rebed procedure before going to the effort of taking it apart enough to put paper on the rotors. If you sand the rotors you really have to grind the pads back a bit on concrete too, which can lead to them not being even enough etc, and then further glazing problems.

• Like 1