SAU Community

Cant Close R34 Bonnet Because Turbo And Engine Hits It

slow34

hey guys ive just bought a r34 gtt and its got a fibreglass bonnet on it currently but im pretty sure its illegal with the vents facing backwars to the windscreen. I got the stock bonnet with it but it wont close i was wondering if anyone had this problem and theres an aftermarket replacment bonnet of some sort or would it be easier to do some fiber glassing and fill in the holes or even perhaps go to a pannel beater and see if they can bend the stock bonnet a little bit. At the moment its hitting the cover for the timing belt and i think if i get it a bit lower then that it might hit the turbo wont know until i try. Any help would be appreciated thanks guys

post-133477-0-29116900-1394615583_thumb.jpeg

Can always try washers between the bonnet and hinges to lift it a bit and adjust the latch. May help, may not seeing that the clearance problem is at the front, May not look the best either but will be good for engine bay airflow..May help. Cheers

• Like 1

looked to me like a RB26 at a quick glance

unusual problem. Obviously why the other bonnet was put on.

Photo is deceptive - it appears the bonnet "should" close

without seeing for myself I got no help other than what XGTRX^ suggested.

/ReverseCowl/BognSpec.

That's odd.

Not an Rb30 bottom end is it? lol

Does your factory hood have the sound deadening on it?

if it does - remove it and see if that works.

I thought the same thing. Might be an RB30 bottom end?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

you can run without the top timing cover, just try removing it and you might get enough room. Washers on the back wont lift the front much at all. If its a 3026 there is not a lot of chance fitting but if it is a 25 or 26 block and is just hitting a little then taking the timing cover off could be enough.

you can run without the top timing cover, just try removing it and you might get enough room.

Doesnt that kill the CAS? IIRC you need spacers so the CAS sits the same distance away as it would with the cover in place.

The 1st time I put my engine back together I did it without the front cover. When I fired it up I heard a funny noise which turned out to be the cas or one of the bolts rubbing on the timing gear.

So yes you need the cover or you can run spacers like I do.

Yeah you can pull the washers out of the seal and use them as spacers if you dont want to run the cover. Spacing the CAS out is important but