SAU Community

R32 Gtr No Spark To Spark Plug Need Help!

Colejr

hi i have a 19912 r32 gtr that ive been having issues with ever since the day i bought it, im from canada and i posted on gtr canada and didn't get any responses, i searched for days on both forums and i couldn't find any help with my problem. so i did a compression test and all cylinders are 135-140psi range and i swopped out spark plugs and coil packs and checked power to my wiring harness and its all good, but theres a miss you can hear through the muffler, the car wont idle up over 4k and the boost wont go over 5psi, i changed ecus and checked mafs and they all good, im stuck and dont know what to do from here any input would be great thanks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thread title does not match the actual post.

Is there no spark or is there actually some spark?

Have you considered that your 25 year old coils might be stuffed? Which would just happen to be one of the most common failures with these things, by the way.

I switched coils over to a working coil pack and it still did the same thing, I unplugged one of the working coil packs and there was a drop in revs and rough idle when I did it to that cylinder where I had the problem there was no difference to the idle or drop in rpm it just ran like normal

Um......still not following you properly.

Did you swap out 6 coilpacks to 6 known good ones, or did you only have one known good one to swap in?

Following from that, it sounds like you swapped in a coil on the cylinder where you have a problem. But it is not clear if the problem stayed even with a known good coil. If that cylinder still refuses to fire with a different coil on it, then the problem is not the coil.

If the situation matches what I said above, then it is likely that either the loom is faulty (the plugs and connectors inside can get corroded or broken) or it could be the ignitor module. Those modules are famous for dying and killing only one cylinder. You'll need to swaptronics with a known good one there too.

Ok thanks for your help, do you know of any aftermarket igniters available? And I'm going to put my multimeter on my loom at work tomorrow and see if I can find a problem with the loom.

Ok thanks for your help, do you know of any aftermarket igniters available? And I'm going to put my multimeter on my loom at work tomorrow and see if I can find a problem with the loom.

http://www.moristech.com.au/Moristech%20Price%20List%201st%20August%202010.pdf

The 6 channel ignitor.

Thanks for the address kiwi and don I can only try a new ignitor in a few weeks, parts aren't very available here in canada, most likely because r32's just became legal in the us

• 3 weeks later...

so my car seemed to run good for a few days, i was not driving the car because of the snow and im getting it inspected, but now the mis fire is gone really bad, i found a boost leak between the intake manifold and intercooler, theres spark at all the other coils except the coilpack closest to the fire wall, i need help please!

Have you changed the ignitor module as previously mentioned ? That is most likely your problem

If not then CAS next, both are well known to fail and drop one cylinder

There is a thread in here with instructions for swapping the GTR ignitor with the Z32 300zx one which is less known for failure

Yes xklaba I've swapped the ignitor with a known workings ignitor still no luck, the car boosts great now and wants to rev up but the mis is just to bad. It's also a little harder to start, won't start without a little gas, I've stripped my wiring loom and there was a bunch of joins in it, ok not sure if they were supposed to be there but doesn't look like a factory harness would be spliced joined and taped.