SAU Community

Why Do Gtr's Seem To Be Advertised With Lower Mileage Vs Same Age Gtt's?

Hi there,

in the ongoing discussion on the miracles of sea travel as a cure for aging (a slow cruise from Japan to Australia seems to take years worth of driving off), it struck me that there was a big difference between the km's showing on GTT vs GTR cars of the same era. So i did a bit of late night research and captured a sample set of ~ 230 R34 vehicles.

Average km's driven by GTT's 1998 to 2002 = 7797km/yr

Average km's driven by GTR's 1999 to 2001 = 4672/yr

This doesn't seem like a great difference yet for some years there is an average of half the km's advertised for GTR's compared to GTT's. There's also a strange effect that later model vehicles are offered showing higher average km's than earlier models.

Published for comments and discussion.

GTR Count km/yr GTT Count km/yr

1998 0 114675 84 7167

1999 58159 13 4274 120755 54 8050

2000 100000 1 7143 111338 54 7953

2001 65140 8 5011 118364 17 9418

Average 66115 22 4672 116978 127 7797

No i'm not a dealer but wanted to understand where my car sat.

Cheers

Ned

post-539-0-91832400-1397014897_thumb.jpg

Edited by ned

90% are altered. Your research is futile unless you have the true km.

But if they were true, I would say it is due to a gtr being majority a weekend car and a gtt to be a every day car.

The one does cost 4 times as much as the other after all

They also probably don't bother with winding back GTST's where as GTR's are a lot more desirable with low kms.

I don't think I've ever seen a GTR at the dealers with over 100,000kms

I did note that dealers GTR's were all around 50-60,000 km but GTT's at dealers could be 90-120,000 km

where are you getting the data from? carsales in australia?

your better off basing the data from japan so you get a better idea of actual kms

http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/auction/auctions_results.htm

search through these and you will see there is plenty of GTRs with close and alot more than 100k kms..

They also probably don't bother with winding back GTST's where as GTR's are a lot more desirable with low kms.

I don't think I've ever seen a GTR at the dealers with over 100,000kms

It's all to do with winding back surely. Nothing to do with the cars themselves and how they've been driven. Just it might seem a bit more plausible that a GTR has been a weekend car, so they'll wind 'em back to 80,000 odd and hope to get a pretty penny from some poor sod. It's not as believable that someone has kept their GTT in the shed as a weekend car - especially when quite a few are autos on Carsales too.

(I'd keep an Auto GTT in my garage for weekends tho... Still a very fun car)

The R32 GTR has done 3,330kms per year on average for the last 3 years (weekender)

Prior to that it was mostly off the road since 2006. (2 engine rebuilds and many modifications including a respray)

I bought it with appx. 100,000 on it late 2003.

So it has done on average

10,000kms per year for 10yrs in Japan (providing clock not rewound)

1,000kms per year for 11yrs in Australia (10,005 in the last 3)

KM's on clock as said above does not indicate how the GTR has been treated.

(my daily IS an auto 34GTT high flowed :) ) 140,000kms on odo

Edited by Sinista32

KM's of R3' series Skyline is pretty much all Bullshit in Aus.....

I imported my 34GTR with 107,000KM's on the clock and it's in better condition than those of half that :-)

If you look on Carsales even R35's these days have between 20-50,000 KM's on them from 2009. The chances of getting an R34 with a genuine 50thou is unlikely, and you'd be paying a pretty penny for it.

But on topic, GTR seems to be locked away in garages and only brought out on weekends. GTT is seen more as a daily drive

your better off basing the data from japan so you get a better idea of actual kms

search through these and you will see there is plenty of GTRs with close and alot more than 100k kms..

Yes all data was from Australian sites (Carsales / Drive / Gumtree) as when I mention the km's on mine (100,000 km plus for a 1999) I often get strange comments about how high it is ....."because I saw one with XXXX km for sale recently"...

I just thought I'd put some actual data behind a suspicion I had that GTR's get more "polish" before arriving than GTT's.

But maybe all the comments are wrong and they ALL only get driven on the weekends?

Edited by ned

Hey GTR-34A thanks for the link, i just had a good look at this site and its a good read! Do you know why so many R34 GTR's on there would be sold with no mileage readings?

no problem,

yea i did notice that, not sure why... maybe its just a hole in their records...

pretty handy to see what cars are selling for though... and to compare what actual genuine 50k kms car sell for in japan, and see what the dealer advertises them for over here... easy to tell things dont quite line up