SAU Community

Do Points Reset From Probrationary To Full Liscence?

I cant find a direct answer anywhere, trying to find out if going from probationary to full liscence, whether your points reset or just gain extra points. So for e.g. if i lost 3 on my green Ps and left with 2, will i reset to 12 on my fulls or will i just bump up to 9?

The demerit points you accrue are removed 3 years after the date you were convicted of the offence.

This means either from your court date, or the date you paid the fine.

In qld they do reset when you change to an open license no matter how long ago the offence was committed. :)

There is nothing worse than fixing up previous owners shonky jobs.

Cheers for the info :). So i reset after 3 years? too easy. So hard to navigate through all those vic roads pages =='

If only Victoria was like queensland, their slightly more lenient with issues like these :(

The VicRoads page is actually pretty reasonable, it does spell it out pretty clearly.

Where you've got confused is thinking going from Ps to Fulls - you get a reset. VicRoads website does not say that at all, in fact it does not distinguish between P or Full as the Demerit Point system applies regardless. It's just the amount of points you can accrue on Ps/Full that is defined, given the different laws that apply.

So a case of looking for something that doesn't exist in a ways :)

This means either from your court date, or the date you paid the fine.

In Victoria (as per the OP) - the Demerit points apply as soon as the offence is committed, regardless of guilty or innocent (or you taking it to court) - they take effect immediately.

So if you go to court and WIN, only then do they get removed. That can take a year and in the mean time you can lose license based on points even though the matter isn't decided.

It's a very stupid and broken system and shows how disjointed it all is, but that's how it works down here.

I hadn't noticed OP was Vic based, so my comments are clearly not correct, as they're based on my experience in NSW.

Apologies for the misleading info.

The VicRoads page is actually pretty reasonable, it does spell it out pretty clearly.

Where you've got confused is thinking going from Ps to Fulls - you get a reset. VicRoads website does not say that at all, in fact it does not distinguish between P or Full as the Demerit Point system applies regardless. It's just the amount of points you can accrue on Ps/Full that is defined, given the different laws that apply.

So a case of looking for something that doesn't exist in a ways :)

In Victoria (as per the OP) - the Demerit points apply as soon as the offence is committed, regardless of guilty or innocent (or you taking it to court) - they take effect immediately.

So if you go to court and WIN, only then do they get removed. That can take a year and in the mean time you can lose license based on points even though the matter isn't decided.

It's a very stupid and broken system and shows how disjointed it all is, but that's how it works down here.

guilty untill proven innocent, same as suspected defects given by unmechanically minded or trained police officers..... but thats another can of worms.

Its still pretty confusing, but i understand what you mean :) I only lost 3 demit points on my final few months on my Ps for something silly, and i was confused to whether i stay on 3 even on my fulls or bump up to 9 (or just reset to the full 12). As long as I dont have to live with 3 demrit points for the next 3 years ill be happy, gives me piece of mind :)

I hadn't noticed OP was Vic based, so my comments are clearly not correct, as they're based on my experience in NSW.

Apologies for the misleading info.

no its my fault! Didnt state i was from victoria.