SAU Community

Haltech Iat Vs. Oem Iat Rb26 ?

7 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I prefer IATs post throttle body, however probably no real difference

It's a valid thought, given pressure drop over a partially closed throttle could & would cause a temperature drop. But I'm of the opinion that for a central inlet plenum like on single turb RBs, there's no ideal place that sees all the flow going past. Wherever you put the sensor it will only see the flow local to that spot. Unless of course you go FFP, in which case you can easily put in straight downstream of the throttle.

Does it matter? Maybe not. Probably not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Well, it is trivial to drill a hole and tap a thread into the thick cast alloy of the cross pipe.

It's not as thick as you think. I drilled and tapped mine for the IAT that came with my Haltech PnP kit but ended up ditching it and getting Plazmaman plumbing with a dedicated bung welded on. The pitch on the M14 x 1.5 sensor left very little thread engagement.

16 hours ago, soviet_merlin said:

Do you have to, though? That sounds quite messy to me. Surely it would be easier to place it a bit further down. And drill into easily replaced piping instead. See the old replies above as well.

FWIW the Blitz intercooler kit on my RB25 has a nipple on the elbow of the pipe going into the plenum. No need for drilling. Looks vaguely like this:

icse_kit.thumb.jpg.8b812b1f0af04400a6217b480d96ede2.jpg

My R34 that I’m doing this for, came with a blitz intercooler but I don’t see the exact pipes listed in your picture.