SAU Community

R32 Gtr Koyo Rad Shroud Vs Engine Fan

Has anyone else had an issue with the fan eating away at their shroud when using a Koyo radiator with stock shroud?

Mine seems to do it at high speed when the air pushes on the radiator just enough so that the shroud connects with the fan.

Never used to do it until I installed N1 engine mounts and happens only above 200km/hr. I thought I had fixed the issue by cable ties on the top uprights of the radiator to the rad support which worked fine which seemed to work ok but it began munching the shroud again at Racewars at speeds above 250km/hr

Pic below of the damage, it's not bad just don't want it to happen with my new shroud/fan

2014-03-24%2018.34.20_zps7qqqs9la.jpg

got the same problem with a hpi rad in a 34 gt-t

if I pull the passenger side forward it clears just after shaving the spot as well

might do as the other guy said and trim the face alittle

Radiator is thicker than stocker so the shroud is closer to the engine. I ended up jamming slices of rubber hose into the top mounts of my rad to stop it from being able to be sucked backwards by the engine fan.

If you watch some old BMI videos you see the Japs carefully cut out the the flat area of the shroud to prevent the fan from making contact...

Let me find a still/photo and show you what I mean.

** edit can't find on google images, and going cross eyed looking lol

If you watch some old BMI videos you see the Japs carefully cut out the the flat area of the shroud to prevent the fan from making contact...

Let me find a still/photo and show you what I mean.

** edit can't find on google images, and going cross eyed looking lol

I'm trying to get away with no cutting the fan or shroud on the new one

don't cut the fan at all, a little bit of unbalance on the fan and you pput heaps of pressure on ur water pump as its connected to the fan. my fan had the edges cut and broke my water pump into 9458-239840-3492 pieces at like 7000 rpm

• 1 year later...

Update on this, I tried several things including solid mounting the top radiator mounts, getting a new fan, getting a new shroud... All to no effective result and it kept just eating away at the shroud.

Seems to be an issue when you have a Koyo radiator with a stock fan/shroud and Nismo engine mounts.

I've ended up buying a Gktech fan (plus adaptor) and another new shroud and it doesn't hit at all, actually has a reasonable amount of clearance. The Gktech fan doesn't work as well as the OEM Nissan one but still is able to keep my temps in the low 80's in traffic. No issues while on track at all as the airflow is more than effective.

Thought I would post because I'm sure others will have the same issue in the future!

• Like 4

Update on this, I tried several things including solid mounting the top radiator mounts, getting a new fan, getting a new shroud... All to no effective result and it kept just eating away at the shroud.

Seems to be an issue when you have a Koyo radiator with a stock fan/shroud and Nismo engine mounts.

I've ended up buying a Gktech fan (plus adaptor) and another new shroud and it doesn't hit at all, actually has a reasonable amount of clearance. The Gktech fan doesn't work as well as the OEM Nissan one but still is able to keep my temps in the low 80's in traffic. No issues while on track at all as the airflow is more than effective.

Thought I would post because I'm sure others will have the same issue in the future!

Keep an eye on the GKtech fan; I ran one for a while and found that whilst it could control temps ok for a short while, temp would slowly rise in traffic until reached a point where it could no longer control, and temp would spike from high 80 to over 100 degrees in a very short time. This was whilst using a 3 core 50mm rad, and a brand new OEM fan clutch.

Back to an OEM fan, with nothing else changed and the car would never go over 86 degrees in any scenario

I know Mat Wooten (GeeTeeTee) had a very similar experience to mine with the GKtech fan.

It also sounded like a low flying aircraft all the time which drove me mad.

I had good success with a heat gun and a wooden roller on the shroud to push back the offending area that was fouling the fan under deceleration (engine mounts on the VQ are quite soft).

Just keep a wet rag handy to cool the area your working on as the shroud can sag or go brittle if you overheat it.

Keep an eye on the GKtech fan; I ran one for a while and found that whilst it could control temps ok for a short while, temp would slowly rise in traffic until reached a point where it could no longer control, and temp would spike from high 80 to over 100 degrees in a very short time. This was whilst using a 3 core 50mm rad, and a brand new OEM fan clutch.

I have done 3 sprint events and 2 track days with no issues. It's not a "traffic" driven car but I have been keeping a close eye on the temps. While the OEM fan kept the temp at thermostat temp at all times in traffic the GKtech rises to the point where the clutch fan kicks in and then stays steady there.

Even when idling in pits after belting the shit out of it on track I have not seen it go above 90deg

• Like 1

I have done 3 sprint events and 2 track days with no issues. It's not a "traffic" driven car but I have been keeping a close eye on the temps. While the OEM fan kept the temp at thermostat temp at all times in traffic the GKtech rises to the point where the clutch fan kicks in and then stays steady there.

Even when idling in pits after belting the shit out of it on track I have not seen it go above 90deg

That's a win then!

I like their products, but the fan does seem a little hit & miss on anything other than SR's.

If it works in your application; you can't argue, and the price is right too.

I had the same problem with a Ron Davis radiator, my fan caught the shroud and jammed while I was on track, at the time I only had my factory dash in there instead of my Racepak IQ3 so I didn't have any warning lights for temps, I didn't realise there was an issue until the Link G4+ put the car into limp mode when the water and oil temps went through the roof.

I've now gone to twin electric fans