SAU Community

Ebc Install

Hey guys, done a lot of searching but couldn't really find what I wanted, hence thought I'd post.

Installing a Gizzmo IBC-R ebc tomorrow, want to cut off my aftermarket boost gauge off the dash and use the red and black wires off that for the ebc, that ok? Assume it is +ve and ground. Got a test light to check. No need for the boost gauge now, do most of you keep yours?

And RPM signal from ECU - pin 7, yellow wire is it? Just going to splice into it. Is that pin7 read looking top down at connector face or top of connector?

Finally I assume I don't need a touch up tune as I will keep the same boost (controlled by a manual T controller) 22psi currently dropping off to 18psi from 4200rpms up? Hoping to keep consistent 22psi to 7400pms.

thanks Ron

Edited by rondofj

I had one of these, good unit, brought boost on quickly. Issue I had was you have to press the 2 buttons at once for some settings and it wouldn't always register at the same time, so any "learned" setting in the closed-loop mode kept getting erased.

They don't register vacc on the display, only boost, so you might want to keep your gauge anyway, if that matters to you.

Can't remember on the rpm wire but don't recall it being hard to find/do.

Test light is no substitute for a multimeter. C'mon, you can buy a cheapy for literally $5 at Jaycar.

I would keep a gauge over the digital display of an EBC ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Provided the gauge is accurate that is. If/when I get around to fitting my EBC, it will be hidden in the glovebox anyway. Let's face it, once set up you rarely need to touch it, let alone see it, let alone let a cop see it.

ECU tach wire? No idea. Have you looked at the wiring diagram? The shape of the ECU loom plug usually makes it obvious which pins are where.

Tune? Quite possibly. You will (hopefully) be running more boost up top than it was tuned with, so you will be off the end of the regions of the map that the tuner has actually dealt with. What happens then is a matter of how well the ECU extrapolates and whether the tuner did anything out in that region. He may have "extended" the tune by just continuing the trends of fuel and ignition numbers or he may have tried to protect you by making it richer and more retarded out there, like Nissan do.

Hey mate.

I installed this same model in my r33 about 2 months ago. You are correct on the tacho wire being no.7 however you need to wire a resistor inline to get the signal the EBC needs.

If you connect it with no resistor inline you wil get crazy RPM readings and the EBC will have issues.

I have a bunch of 10K resistors that will do the trick (I bought 50 from china for $2.)

You can have one for free... I live in seven hills.

Another thing worth noting with gizmo boost controllers is that you do not just dial in boost PSI. You have to set your Gain (0 - 100) and your Peak (0-100) and this will give you different boost leavels. You start at 0 then keep increasing untilo you get to your desired boost level or you start getting spiking. WIll dig up a post that explains it really well.

What boost controller do you set target boost psi?

Greedy no

Turbos mart no

Gizmo no

Not sure Ben... I guess I just assumed alot of boost controllers out there you can just set a PSI value and the controller does all the work for you.

Just trying to help out a member of SAU..

What boost controller do you set target boost psi?

Greedy no

Turbos mart no

Gizmo no

The HDi unit does. Set and forget.

Hey Michael, thanks for the offer mate, I would like to make a visit tomorrow after lunch sometime if you free, want to see how you did yours, esp that resistor and ecu pin. And maybe get a few tips on how to use the controller as well. Are you free over the weekend? My no. is 0416424446 if you don't mind dropping a text?

thanks man

Ron

Test light is no substitute for a multimeter. C'mon, you can buy a cheapy for literally $5 at Jaycar.

I would keep a gauge over the digital display of an EBC ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Provided the gauge is accurate that is. If/when I get around to fitting my EBC, it will be hidden in the glovebox anyway. Let's face it, once set up you rarely need to touch it, let alone see it, let alone let a cop see it.

ECU tach wire? No idea. Have you looked at the wiring diagram? The shape of the ECU loom plug usually makes it obvious which pins are where.

Tune? Quite possibly. You will (hopefully) be running more boost up top than it was tuned with, so you will be off the end of the regions of the map that the tuner has actually dealt with. What happens then is a matter of how well the ECU extrapolates and whether the tuner did anything out in that region. He may have "extended" the tune by just continuing the trends of fuel and ignition numbers or he may have tried to protect you by making it richer and more retarded out there, like Nissan do.

thanks for confirming mate, touch up tune it will be...

Was thinking of mounting the ebc up on the steering column but now you said it, I think it will go inside the ashtray. Pretty tiny unit and will fit. And maybe keep that boost gauge and tee the boost line off it, I kinda like the boost gauge and seeing it flick up n down but don't like too many gadgets in my car, simple is key. Already have the PFC commander sitting on the vents using a phone holder.

Can I tee the wires off the boost gauge too or is that a no no? And yes got a multimeter aswl..cheers

Edited by rondofj

As long as the power draw for the various devices is less than you can sensibly run through the wires you want to tap into, then yeah, you can run extra devices off existing wiring. Keep in mind though that the power to run the solenoid probably comes through the boost controller, so its power draw might be more than you'd expect.

Managed to partly hook up the ebc today, got the ground and +ve off the ciggy lighter wires and boost hose tee'd off the gauge. Display lights up and works.

Need to wire up the rpm wire but not sure if a 10k resistor is sufficient as mentioned by the guy a few posts above. Anyone with experiences?

And is the Mac valve ok to be cable tied to the ABS pipes running along the firewall? Doesnt have built in brackets to fix to anything..:(

The Gizzmo also doesnt have ports noted as NC and NO-these are called 1 and 2.

Got the ebc installed and set now with some testing- set the duty at 58 and gain at 30. This gives 21.6-22 psi boost as a rough base. Fine tuning and rpm point setting will be on dyno after I wire up the rpm wire n resistor, a SAU member Michael has kindly offered to show how its done on his, will be seeing him shortly. The ebc is mounted vertically above the left knee with velcro dots from Bunnings after the original double stick tape fell off.. Any other suggestions? Was thinkin top of steering column but dont like all these bright gadgets too visible

post-49401-14009920015147_thumb.jpgpost-49401-1400992044702_thumb.jpg

Learnt that the R34 ecu pinouts is totally different to the R33 and is very hard to find on net. The tacho signal seems to be pin5 which Im sure is the post-49401-14010039588937_thumb.jpgblack/white striped wire. Can anyone confirm? Wires held up too tight and dont wana pull and damage any cables..post-49401-14010039353737_thumb.jpg