SAU Community

Personal Import

theforce

Hey Guys/Girls,

I'm in the process of making up my mind on importing a car from Japan but read on VicRoads website that cars after 1988 can't be imported unless its a personal import or by a registered shop.

Eligibility

Only a Registered Automotive Workshop can import a vehicle that is manufactured after 1988 and that is not a personal import.

If you wish to personally import a vehicle you must:

• be of driving age
  • be an Australian citizen or a migrant holding permanent residency in Australia
  • have owned and used the vehicle while overseas for a period of not less than twelve consecutive calendar months
  • not have imported another vehicle into Australia in this category in the last 12 months.

So where does this leave the average joe who hasn't owned the car for 12 months overseas or doesn't own a workshop? or does the above quote only apply to less than 15 year old cars?

Obviously I don't wish to dish out a couple of G's for someone to do the importing for me, I've looked it up and it can be done quite easily.

Any help would be much appreciated.

:D

Edited by theforce

Go through an importer, it's not worth the extra headaches to do it yourself... They know the in's and out's of the system, and they know how to fill out all of the paperwork and who needs to be paid when... All it takes is one letter to be wrong on some of the forms and it's delayed in the wrong place for a few days, and you're suddenly hit with Storage and Holding fees...

Do it yourself if you wish, but I've seen a lot of people on here who have had it come back and bite them in the arse.

Yep definitely get an import shop to do it for you. If you were to import it, would you be going over to Japan personally to inspect it?

The benefit of the importers is if you can't make it over to Japan to inspect it, a lot of them provide detailed inspections by mechanics and give you a full report on what's wrong with the car, along with hundreds of photos before shipping it over (you'll need to pay a deposit before getting this information).

I'm deciding between a R32/R33 GTR or a Mitsubishi GTO (or 3000GT whatever its called) but recently just found out pre-1996 GTO cannot be imported which rules out the pop-up headlight front end :angry:

Can anyone quote a route estimate of what an importer may charge? I might call around soon but I'm really keen on going through the process myself just see what its like...a learning experience. And No, I won't be going to Japan to inspect the car, if the pictures look good and the cabin/engine bay clean then that's good enough for me.

#@xALmoN

Who's Iron Chef?

Have a look on J-spec's website:

http://www.j-spec.com.au

Generally, you're looking at around $2,500 for shipping + 5% import duty + 10% GST + $3,000 compliance + $700 rego + stamp duty + $1,100 importer fee. So a $7,500 car can end up costing $15,000 on the road. The costs do add up, so check if it's worth it over buying locally.

• Like 1

I'm deciding between a R32/R33 GTR or a Mitsubishi GTO (or 3000GT whatever its called) but recently just found out pre-1996 GTO cannot be imported which rules out the pop-up headlight front end :angry:

Can anyone quote a route estimate of what an importer may charge? I might call around soon but I'm really keen on going through the process myself just see what its like...a learning experience. And No, I won't be going to Japan to inspect the car, if the pictures look good and the cabin/engine bay clean then that's good enough for me.

#@xALmoN

Who's Iron Chef?

Honestly an import broker will save you so many headaches and stress :)

• Like 1

#@xALmoN

Who's Iron Chef?

Or speak to an importer and give them the details of the car you want to bring in and see if they can do it for you.

• Like 1

recently I've heard of a few stories of people buying cars from Japan personally and not knowing whether they can be imported etc, pretty much bought a massive paperweight
Iron chef or j-spec would be the two companies to go through

• Like 1

#@xALmoN

Who's Iron Chef?

No offence intended, but if this^ tripped you up, you do not want the headaches of entering this world without someone holding your hand every complicated step of the way...

https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=w9mGU-eSKcKN8QeT54GIBQ#q=iron+chef+imports

• Like 2

I take it no one here has imported one themselves who could tell us about the process?

Several years ago when I was really keen on a FC RX7 I researched the import process like a Phd Thesis, pretty much got all the dots lined up. The place you buy it from in Japan normally have their own or recommended transport and so landing in at an Australian dock is no big deal. Even the paperwork to get it cleared from the docks is very doable if you plan it in advance. What I mean to say is, the process is pretty straight forward if you sit down and do the homework.

Have a look on J-spec's website:

http://www.j-spec.com.au

Generally, you're looking at around $2,500 for shipping + 5% import duty + 10% GST + $3,000 compliance + $700 rego + stamp duty + $1,100 importer fee. So a $7,500 car can end up costing $15,000 on the road. The costs do add up, so check if it's worth it over buying locally.

That's true actually, normally I just double the price in Japan to get an estimate when comparing to local cars.

No offence intended, but if this^ tripped you up, you do not want the headaches of entering this world without someone holding your hand every complicated step of the way...

https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=w9mGU-eSKcKN8QeT54GIBQ#q=iron+chef+imports

Yeah I haven't heard of him before. If I were to buy I'd buy directly from the seller in Japan, no middle man.

recently I've heard of a few stories of people buying cars from Japan personally and not knowing whether they can be imported etc, pretty much bought a massive paperweight
Iron chef or j-spec would be the two companies to go through

That's what I mean, if you don't sit down and do the homework then you're bound for headaches, if you research the process and plan out the process, it'll be a cakewalk.

tbh it's more work than what the $1100-$1200 costs that the agents charge, also they have people that check out the cars in Japan which gives you a better idea of the cars condition etc as auction sheets can miss out on some things

Going from experience with importing (other things than cars) I would again advise an import broker. But from looking at this thread it looks like you have made up your mind so I say do it and be sure to post back here on how you go :)