SAU Community

Rb20Det Turbo Doing My Head In.

I have the kando highflow (20g compressor, garrett stage 3 turbine wheel), and it's laggy for a lot of people.

Not a proper dyno that's why I didn't posted it on the RB20 dyno thread but it shows how the turbo behave :

S13+RB20DET+-+2014.06.07+-+15.31.46.png

For those who are not familiar with those units :

261 kW/294 ft/lbs.

Supposedly at the crankshaft, with the SAE J1349 correction factor.

This is a smartphone App that turn your car into an inertial dyno, precision is said to be accurate if set correctly. I've done my best to set the app the best I could but take those numbers with a grain of salt.

Holy crap nj1.whats it like to drive on the

street.

It's pretty good on the street but as mentioned boost doesn't come on until 4500 rpm but when it does it is quite violent....

I've got a R34 neo highflow turbo (hypergear) on my RB20.

Makes 240rwkw, full boost (20psi) at 4800, pump 98.

Could get more response by adjusting cam gears, which i'll do soon.

Result is on the last page of the RB20 dyno results.

VCT enabled SR20dets are surprisingly good, the ATR28SS2's managed to pull 275rwkws with 20psi by 4000RPMs on a customer's car yesterday.

The SS1x series are made for Rb20dets, the power delivery on those are more linear down low. and has the capacity to pull some good top end internally gated, as a factory bolton turbocharger.

We build SS1.5 billet fronted TD05 turbos also, those will out perform traditional 18G, at similar pricing levels. Those are best externally gated.

SR are awesome engines when it comes to spool turbo's.

A friend of mine have an HX35w on his forged SR20, with the VTC he sees 15 psi by 3800 rpm, VTC OFF he has to wait 5000 rpm to get the same boost.

This ability plus the torque off boost the SR has makes it an awesome engine.

It just sound like shit on boost, ping very easily on pump gas, heat heavily it's oil with factory oil cooler and doesn't like the revs with a standard head.

I hate working on one of them. It's just as everything has carefully been designed to irritate you. And a lot of bolt love to break the second you want to unscrew them.

In NA form they also perform quite well despite their head, sounds beautiful with cams and are almost unbreakable.

I have a HKS GTRS looking for a home if interested . It got me 271 at the wheels on E70 on a 33 25T engine .

Somewhere back in the mists Roy spoke about RB20s with these turbo's on them and I don't think the result was bad though I can't quote numbers .

The advantage with these turbos is they just about fall onto an RB20 or 25 like std dump standard mount flange and standard inlet hose .

I can't remember what revs these wake up at on an RB20 but I think it would be doing something under 4000 . Garrett sells cartridges for them if it got tired down the track .

I don't have water and oil lines but they aren't hard to organise , cheers Adrian .

There's an old thread here "Hks Gtrs RB20" from 2008 about a fella that was getting 18 pounds of boost from his engine at around 4100 revs .

In those days people seemed to like HKS 2530s and 2535s on RB20s .

If you want to spend money Garrett has updated their GT28 BB range with GTX compressors so a GTX2860R or GTX2863R should give you a lighter more efficient compressor wheel than the GT series ones .

A .

thanks guys.i bought the kinugawa td05 18g 8cm.I also picked up some denso 700cc injectors,nistuned ecu and some hks 264 9.0mm cams so when its up and running ill post some figures...

have a look around for some 4.4:1 gears.... rb20's love to rev, so depending on what your using the car for, the extra ratio is handy to get the car moving (essentially masks some of the added lag).

Cheers

J.

• 2 weeks later...

The best idea.

I just did it on my S13. Went from 3.916 to 4.363.

The car is way much better now, with still way too much top speed and an average cruising comfort.

With the previous diff the freeway was nicer with 300/400rpm less but as soon as the road was uphill or cruising at 90 km/h the car wouldn't accelerate in 5th gear and was barely pulling in 4th. I had to reckless drive it to get any acceleration and when the torque was there cops were the main problem because of the vastly illegal speed.

When it was ON, it was ON but I had to wait for it way too long.

With the 4.363 the car is much nicer to drive, pulls ok in 5th from 3000rpm and can manage a 270+kph.

The fuel consumption doesn't seem to have suffered from this change so far. So very happy of the change for now.

For a dedicated track car an even shorter final drive ratio wouldn't hurt.