SAU Community

Newcasle

NYL83R

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark: Thanks for the tip. The motorbike course yesterday was so boring. Was all silly stuff you should already know - how to mount a motorbike, how to engage clutch, how to start motorbike etc. When the time comes to do the P's test, you can give me some pointers. Is the L's computer test at the RTA difficult, or just common knowledge?

Chris

Mark:  Thanks for the tip.  The motorbike course yesterday was so boring.  Was all silly stuff you should already know - how to mount a motorbike, how to engage clutch, how to start motorbike etc.  When the time comes to do the P's test, you can give me some pointers.  Is the L's computer test at the RTA difficult, or just common knowledge?

Chris

Yep I hear you. Super boring. You don't go over about 30kmh and 2km from my house is an 80 zone I take to work - so very daunting when I had zero bike experience...took a few days to warm up (read: build confidence!) to doing 80.

I'd be very happy to pass pointers for the P's. The best advice I can give right now, is to plan on hiring a CB for the test. If you ride a ZZR or a CBR or anything like that, the U-turn and cones are nearly impossible. My ZZR was plenty fast, but designed for handling at speeds above walking pace. I practiced for probably ten hours over a few weeks (in a cul de sac) and still only just scraped through on the ZZR. I tried the test on a CB250 and nailed it 100% (no touches/ feet down/ etc.)

Re: the comp test - take the time to study up on the bike stuff. There is all the normal L-permit q's, plus lots of bike specific. An hour of reading will prob save you time/effort/$$. Most if it is the stuff you forget 5 mins after leaving the RTA, like how close in metres can you park to a bus zone? and similar stuff.

Well now that I've typed all this I realise it I should have sent it via PM. Apologies to all the guys reading this who don't ride! :P

Mark

Whilst I'm in the Newcastle thread, to any other guys in the Bay/Medowie/Terrace/Maitland area (ie. northside) always seem to get stuck behind people driving at 80kmh in the 100 zones? Richardson road past Grahamstown dam, and the road out to Maitland are terrible for it.

I don't understand it. Are the drivers unaware? I find that hard to believe as it happens too often to be tourists/non-locals. Which makes me think that it must be people who choose to do 80kmh in some attempt to reduce road accidents... whilst everyone else gets fed up and overtakes (higher risk, yeah?).

I'm sorry guys, I just feel like ranting, cause I get so sick of it. You overtake and the driver is happily tooling along below the speed limit. The areas are 100 for a reason - there's nothing else there! No merging, no driveways, nothing! And I seem to get the "Flashy Flashy" high-beams from them as I pass, as if I'm some P-plater driving a turbo V8 with a car full of passengers in the middle of the night!?

Man, people need to get a grip. Self-included. I know i'll get where I'm going eventually, but to me it highlights the driver ed thing. If people are uncomfortable being in control of their 2-ton 4WD at 100kmh, either go take some professional training or ask someone else to drive.

*sigh*

Mark

SHOULD COME!  

Fresh ?? paul and stace?? mic33r?? ER34GTT?? BNR32?? guilt top?? lenno ?? bojo1???

Sorry guys, I've just been really busy lately. I'll try and make it to a cruise next year (assuming my car isn't sold by then), but it's just hectic at this time of the year.

Whilst I'm in the Newcastle thread, to any other guys in the Bay/Medowie/Terrace/Maitland area (ie. northside) always seem to get stuck behind people driving at 80kmh in the 100 zones? Richardson road past Grahamstown dam, and the road out to Maitland are terrible for it.

I don't understand it. Are the drivers unaware? I find that hard to believe as it happens too often to be tourists/non-locals. Which makes me think that it must be people who choose to do 80kmh in some attempt to reduce road accidents... whilst everyone else gets fed up and overtakes (higher risk, yeah?).  

I'm sorry guys, I just feel like ranting, cause I get so sick of it. You overtake and the driver is happily tooling along below the speed limit. The areas are 100 for a reason - there's nothing else there! No merging, no driveways, nothing! And I seem to get the "Flashy Flashy" high-beams from them as I pass, as if I'm some P-plater driving a turbo V8 with a car full of passengers in the middle of the night!?

Man, people need to get a grip. Self-included. I know i'll get where I'm going eventually, but to me it highlights the driver ed thing. If people are uncomfortable being in control of their 2-ton 4WD at 100kmh, either go take some professional training or ask someone else to drive.

*sigh*

Mark

I know exactly what you mean. The palce I used to get stuck all the time was on the way to Williamtown from Newcastle on NB road. I used to work out there, so I'd have to put up with it daily. It was crazy.

Yep it's up for sale on Carsales right now. I've had it since 2001, so it's time for a change. I'm staying in the import scene though, but going across to Toyota. Hopefully I'll be in a JZX100 Chaser by the start of next year.

The Skyline was good, but I just don't drive it much anymore. I'll still be a regular on the forums though, as I can't find any decent Toyota forums (and I like this place).

Mark: P's shouldn't be too hard on my bike I've already got, a TTR 250 and the instructors told me its very easy to do the U-Turn on a trailbike. I bought this a month ago, then realised you can get up to 650cc on your L's on the weekend. I would have a gone a XR400 or similar, but the 250 will be plenty quick enough for now. Organising a sand paddle and 2nd rear rim so I can take it out on the beach!!!

Hay Guys,

just seeing if any one is up for a cuize in early Jan, i ahave had my car for about 4 months now and i a m keen to got for a cruize with some other lines. Even for a small cruize to the bay or similar.

Ta

P.S have a good and safe Chrissy.

• 2 weeks later...

Gezzzz that seems like a huge cruze, I'm up for it. I Just hope im not feeling too seedy that Sunday. Actually I'll go just for the fact I wana see a heap of another skylines all at once, Line up the whales in force~! Should be some car mags taking shots too.