SAU Community

Turbo Flutter/plumb Back

I know this is a really controversial topic but being new to owning a turbo car that turbo flutter sounds cool and makes an impression to me and my friends. I've lots of mixed replies when I've asked people how to get a flutter. One friend told me ''Buy an aftermarket BOV and make sure its plumb back!'' But then another friend told me "You can't buy plumb back BOV's and to take it to a workshop and ask them to put a line on it back to the air filters/AFM." Can you guys help me out?! I know some people will say '' Have fun rebuilding your engine in a few years. '' But it's a personal choice and i would really appreciate the help!

It won't wreck the engine. Could potentially wreck the turbo which then might decide to fly through your engine. Being that the exhaust wheel is the weak wheel it's more likely to die but still

It may not happen. But still

Flutter works best with no BOV (flange blanked off) or any BOV with an adjustability that's set to very hard. Atmo BOV'S will screw up the way the car runs too and won't be recommended by anyone on here

• Like 1

The flutter you speak of is compressor surge. That SUTUTUTU sound is because aftermarket bovs have STIFFER springs to prevent boost leak. The stiffer springs can also cause the bov to not open at all, causing the air to rush back throguh the turbo, giving that famous ricey VSHHHSUTUTUTUT.

If you want the flutter, take out your blow off valve, and put it in reverse, so the valve never opens, or just block off the BOV all together. You should now hear some significant fluttering.
If you want a louder flutter, install a POD filter, that shizz amplifies induction and flutter sounds. Want it even more louder? Get a steal intake pipe, then you'll hear it from down the street.

That being said, compressor surge sucks lol. And its a massive cop magnet. Provides no performance benefits, unless your BOV is leaking on high boost. If anything, it provides negative effects such as premature wear on your turbo.