SAU Community

Fixed Back Race Seats - R32 - Height Issues

Hey All,

The time has come for me to put some proper fixed back race seats in my R32 GTR, so I organised to visit a seller today to "Try some on" so to speak, and found the most bizarre problem;

I am a short, dumpy sort of body shape, only about 180cm, 95kgs, and pretty stocky.

So after jumping in a few seats from Velo, Racetech, Sparco and Cobra, it appears that an X/Large is the best to accommodate my butt, shoulders and hips, and that's fine. But every single seat I sat in, my shoulders covered the harness slots in the back.

Both I and the sales rep were a bit confused, given that I don't have an abnormally long torso or anything, but nothing we could find worked as they all had the harness slots too low for me. The best we could find was one of the Racetech seats which my shoulders covered about 90% of the harness slot - The rep stated (and I agreed), that my harness angle would be considerably restricted even at that position.

We tried swapping the seat cushion padding between the seats to try and lower me into the frame a bit more, but no joy.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Or does anyone perhaps know of a certain seat that has particularly high (or large) harness shoulder slots?

Seems to be an odd problem to have, given that I'm not tall at all, I wonder how taller blokes deal with the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I'm the same height as you, although admittedly smaller framed at 70kg, and I have no qualms with my (genuine) Bride seats. It might be worth seeing if you can get yourself in one to try it on. I know most guys here will scoff at this suggestion, but they are styled similarly to the standard seats, so if you're currently using the standard seats with a harness no worries, then it may be worth looking into. That or maybe a Recaro, considering the other popular brands didn't suit your needs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will try and get a look at a proper Bride and see if they're any better.

Roy - Racetech was one of the main brands I was testing in, tried about 3 different variants, all were wide optioned, and non HANS (Still street driven car, so definitely don't want the wrap-around head rest).

Edited by Hornet2572

Hmm - Might be on to something there, Roy. I'm sure the fella from the supplier told me some were HANS and some were Non-HANS, and I just assumed that the HANS ones were the wrap-around ones, but maybe not. I'm going to chase them up again this week and see if they've had any luck with suppliers etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good to hear you found a suitable one mate. I am using a Sparco Pro 2000 and my shoulders cover a small portion of the harness holes, but still enough for me not to be able to run a harness safely so Im just using the stock seatbelt for now. Where did you end up getting your seat from?

Cheers