SAU Community

haha so i guess you have not heard anything about it. I read that people take out R31 diffs and use them in the utes, am I mistaken?

R31 has a live axle so is far more of a possibility for a conversion.

Granted it's a Skyline, it's just that everyone tends to think r32 33 34, all having irs which would be totally mental to swap.

Any live axle diff can be swapped anywhere. Chop off mounts, shorten if required, weld on new mounts, new tail shaft. Off you go.

Do you know of anyone who has tried this Ben? I have had a basic search on the net and not much info as yet

Not specifically but can't see it being a problem. Although the r31 is 4 stud. Perhaps a vf diff would be a better choice.

Plenty of places can do the work for you depending on you location. Or if you can weld you can do it.

Rod tech in sa for example.

Sorry dude, that was an auto correct. Vn

Ahhh yes, I have heard some where you can use VN diffs. Are they borg warner?

Can't see why anyone would replace a weak arse Holden diff with another weak arse R31 diff.

I was unsure how tuff they would be, just doing some ground work at the moment. Do you know how much HP they can handle?

The 28 spline diffs I certainly wouldn't call weak. Definitely not the strongest so depending on your application if it is sensible or not.

The r31 silhouette has same strength diff a s vl turbo from memory.

R31 BW's are popular in LX and LH toranas aren't they? I don't even think they have to be shortened at all, they're almost the perfect width.

VL commodore has 25 spline (pintara) but 5 stud axles. Turbos were 28 spline like all rb30 R31s.

VN to VS, EB Falcon to EL and R31 all used the same borg warner. Just had different ratios. I think they came in some chevs and fords in the US. So they can handle a decent amount of power. 308 and 5L don't make much power so I wouldn't worry about breaking one.

• Like 1

I think my point is that the R31 diff is not a sufficient upgrade over the original WB diff to worry about the amount of work involved in doing the swap. Seems to me that if you were going to the effort, you'd use a decent diff, not some appliance grade BW.

Edited by GTSBoy

The above is true. Ive seen the BW78 in Datsuns behind FJs and SRs, All Rbs in r31s. The diff gets loud, sounds like a UFO is flying behind you. Goes bang between changes, stupid backlash. LSD is hopeless even after a rebuild, they last a couple months and single spin again. But Ive never seen one break

If you go down this route, mini spool it or get a KAAZ center. Perhaps look at Hilux diffs I think theyre 31 spline, thicker axles than a 9", 4 pinion lsd

Nice reply fellas, cheers!

The above is true. Ive seen the BW78 in Datsuns behind FJs and SRs, All Rbs in r31s. The diff gets loud, sounds like a UFO is flying behind you. Goes bang between changes, stupid backlash. LSD is hopeless even after a rebuild, they last a couple months and single spin again. But Ive never seen one break

If you go down this route, mini spool it or get a KAAZ center. Perhaps look at Hilux diffs I think theyre 31 spline, thicker axles than a 9", 4 pinion lsd

Thanks for clearing up the LSD issues with the BW, I was going to look at them but not now. My ute has a 350 chev (not sure on HP) and the diff was a 6cyl small salisbury, one skid and it spat teeth every where. I will look into the hilux diff.

Do you know the difference, if any, between Strange and KAAZ centers?