SAU Community

BURN STOCK CHIP or PFC?

Scooby

Guys,

does anyone have a preferred approach based on experience? i can go either way but i'm leaning towards the PFC specifically due to availability of experienced tuners. I've also heard it stated that the stock ECU won't adequately handle Z32 AFM or larger injectors and doesn't have the flexibility of the PFC; while outcomes will depend on the tuner I'm more interested in the inherent ability of the units.

Thanks

Get a used PFC and hold on to your old ECU. You will be able to sell parts (PFC, Z32 AFMs etc) separately for near what you bought them for when you eventually get rid of the car.

Hi Scooby, If you want to do a number of upgrades all at once, then chipping the standard ecu is OK value. If you want to a number of upgrades over time (tuning in between) then the PFC is much cheaper.

If youre going to do your own tuning with the PowerFC then im assuming that youre comfortable using the W/B O2 and changing around the settings in the ECU. You can get an EEPROM burner for $60US and chips are about $15US. You have to get the Wideband O2 either way and the software for ECU tuning is free. -In my opinoin- i would get the eeprom burner and do it yourself. Of course ive never wanted to shell out that much and use the PFC, so i dont have any expierence with it.

the different of Power Fc is the new one come as a packet (power FC + commander), while u can buy the Power Fc alone before.

The packet price is lower than before, but then it's not good for people like me - who don't want the commander!

If youre going to do your own tuning with the PowerFC then im assuming that youre comfortable using the W/B O2 and changing around the settings in the ECU.  You can get an EEPROM burner for $60US and chips are about $15US.  You have to get the Wideband O2 either way and the software for ECU tuning is free.  -In my opinoin- i would get the eeprom burner and do it yourself.  Of course ive never wanted to shell out that much and use the PFC, so i dont have any expierence with it.

Does the software allow you to see what load points the car is using?

Unless you can tell that you a pretty much running blind with tuning.

I would definitely recommend the PowerFC and FC-Datalogit as well :D