SAU Community

Oil Leaking From Between Head And Block

• 2 years later...

sorry to revive the thread i have the exact same leak happening on my car. I am about to pull the head off and redo it. The engine is a 25/30 too and im not sure if the previous engine builder made a feed to the cam journal. So I thought id check that while the head was off.

what was the root cause to the oil leak?

It was coming from where my 'fabricator' had tried to weld a fitting to the head for the external VCT. That head turned out to be junk and I had to get a new Neo head. The second head was then tapped and died and a fitting screwed in instead.

Where exactly is yours leaking from? And how is your external VCT feed setup

• Like 1

I too have a similar situation but mine appears to be from the rear passenger side.  I have noticed a bit of oil around the front cover but it doesn't drip from there at all. Haven't looked into it much as i have walked away from it and other things for a bit. I re torqued my head just to make sure and used a rb30 mls cometic 1.3mm head gasket. Head was fully refurbed by a head shop and block was also machined sqr to deck  when built to get 100% 0 deck height and blue print it.

It was coming from where my 'fabricator' had tried to weld a fitting to the head for the external VCT. That head turned out to be junk and I had to get a new Neo head. The second head was then tapped and died and a fitting screwed in instead.

Where exactly is yours leaking from? And how is your external VCT feed setup

The issue is that I bought the car with an RB25/30 built engine.The sneaky bugger must have washed it off or something before I inspected the vehicle.

I've attached a picture below of what it looks like. I'm hoping it's the shitty blank off that's been used. If that's the case it will be an easy fix.

IMG_20170311_155527.jpg
IMG_20170311_155522.jpg

On 3/11/2017 at 4:30 PM, Borci88 said:

Are you sure it's not just a leaking cam seal Bryce?

I'm hoping its something minor like that. It would suck regardless having to replace cam seals. Ill start by replacing the blank off to see if that solves the issue.

• 2 months later...

Can someone tell me the right 3-Bond to use.

I'm going to be attempting this tomorrow. Would rather not undo the cams. I know it's dangerous and could snap the cams. But has anyone taken off the front cam caps to ad sealant without snapping the cams?

So I took off everything to get to the cam seals and this is what I found.20170527_163835.jpg

Seems to be oil leaking from both seal. The backing made this more evident as you can see from the picture. Now following the advice posted here. The front cam cap should have a bit of sealant on it. There isn't any on this head. So I'm just going to use Ultra Black RTV on the mating surfaces. I couldn't find any 3-Bond orange. 20170527_163742.jpg