SAU Community

R34 Gtt Brake Improvement Without Breaking The Bank

4 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I highly doubt the A1RM are rated up to 780 deg. C.. if so why the heck do they crumble like a cookie on the track and the likes of Intima SR and Project MU HC+ / HC800 pull up fine - and both are rated much lower.

The 780C came from this QFM page: http://qfm.com.au/page/6/Performance_Range

3 hours ago, admS15 said:

I just finished off my first set of a1rm at Winton yesterday. Copped solid abuse for six sessions from start to finish, no cool down laps, last session was 10 laps and best lap of the day was on that lap. Pads where 50% at start of the day, didn't crumble but wore them right down. The rears where qfm hpx and they didn't like that treatment, they ended on just about metal on metal. In saying all that, at more demanding tracks like sandown, I don't think they will go too well. They are ok for the not so serious track car but it's the old saying, you get what you pay for and since I got another set for $60 for the front, I have put another set on the front. I measured the disc and compared to the measurement I took when they originally went on and the wear was 0.6mm. I thought that was ok. 4 track days, 1 set of pads, 1 set of tyres and 0.6mm of disc. Budget racing brahemoji3.png

Thanks, good to know!

I need something that can take the Sandown 200->90km/h punishment down the front straight repeatedly, and I'm tossing between Intima SR or Forza FP3 as a step up from Remsa.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some R33 GT-R OEM brake ducts off a forum member (thanks!).

I went to measure them tonight and they're pretty hefty, the height is 50mm. I'm already height challenged in the front so mounting these beneath the undertray/liner is most likely not an option..

Does anyone run similar brake ducts in their R34 (GTT or GTR)? Is there any chance to squeeze these above the liner somehow?
Otherwise I might have to set up vents and soft ducting from the fog light openings. It's a series 1 front bar.

29285537045_e8a63b0523.jpg

29206908951_9a68e0596d.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished fabricating some front brake air guides over the weekend, made out of 0.9mm galvanised steel. The design is largely inspired by the UAS ones (thanks dan.1337 for the photo and link!) but also looking at the OEM GT-R V-Spec ones. The most time consuming part was testing a number of prototypes at varying levels of lock and suspension compression to ensure that everything clears at all times.

What do you guys reckon, should I make some for the rears too? I cooked my 650C pads in all corners last track day (granted not enough cool down laps). I have since had the rear heat shields removed too, which hopefully cools rotors more evenly but will probably heat up drive shafts/boots/suspension components more now...

Also the R33 front brake ducts won't clear at my ride height so I'm thinking of adding just some rubber 'fins' on the undertray to channel more air towards the air guides. Might be an overkill.

Here's some photos of the front brake air guides (car jacked up, suspension fully expanded), yet to be painted:

Front left with steering straight

29181240114_57fd470ef8_n.jpg

29181239684_9ed91b06b0_n.jpg

Front left with full lock in

29181239294_675032e74a_n.jpg

Front left with full lock out

29181238494_d62ed8873f_n.jpg

29696117682_7f6cbd79d1_n.jpg

Rear right with no heat shield

The prospective air guide would follow the curve of the lower control arm edge I imagine and feed into the small gap between inner edge of the rotor and the handbrake assembly?

29181237934_8209379537_n.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Nice diy there. They turned out quite well. Good workemoji106.png

Thanks man! A lot of the ones you see around tend to cool the disc face, I like the UAS style as it feeds inside the disc to allow the vanes to vent more effectively.

Also quick tip for anyone wanting to give this a go: the jigsaw with a metal cutting blade was a revelation after initial struggles with tin snips...

that's really cool!

did you just use those U bracket things (those brackets to hold up conduit) to attach it?

Lol :)

Yes three mounting points: 8mm bolt at the hot end, widened 25mm conduit bracket in the middle, wide cable tie in front. I'll try to get a photo from the back later.

18 hours ago, V28VX37 said:

Yes three mounting points: 8mm bolt at the hot end, widened 25mm conduit bracket in the middle, wide cable tie in front. I'll try to get a photo from the back later.

Here's how the front right looks from the inside, you can see the three mounting points:

29214831274_a331be8b78_n.jpg

Or maybe someone can scan them and produce them on a 3D printer.

Could work but probably over-engineered :) It's just a flat sheet cut up to right dimensions and bent. I might look at doing a template if these work at Sandown next week ;)

Both front and rear air guides went well at Sandown today, with no ill effects. No brake fade but I didn't get any good runs in either as I had to nurse the car, pretty sure the head gasket is gone :/

Here's the rear left mounted:

29745318780_6c8ac931b1.jpg

29745318980_49cd30dc88.jpg