SAU Community

Hx35 On Rb30Det

menthol369

Hey guys,

im not too cluey when it comes to applying specs of turbos to suit different engines, but im wondering if this HX35 would be suitable for my needs.

Turbo Specs :
HX35 7-blade:
A/R- 0.89
Compressor inducer- 56mm
Compressor exducer- 76mm
Compressor trim- 54
Turbine inducer- 69.5mm
Turbine exducer- 60mm
Turbine Trim 75

thats all i could find on the turbo.

Heres what i want to achieve
330-350rwkw

Heres my current setup

rb30e block ( completely standard )
s2 25det head, VCT
660cc injectors
45mm hypergate
nistune z32
z32afm
BP98
+ supporting mods ( cooling etc)

Previously i was running a KKr660 that made 278rwkw @15psi.... but didnt make full boost till 5k which is horseshit.
So my question is will that HX35 be a suitable size for the 330-350rwkw im aiming for?

There is very little information available on Holset gear, since they are not sold into the performance aftermarket.

You have done well to find out that much info on the specs, but obviously there are more details that will dictate what it can flow, and how it will perform with regards to spool/response.

Those impeller dimensions aren't radically different to a GT3576, or a budget Kinugawa TDO6H-25G. Either of those will support 320rwkW plus/minus 10kW depending on setup and tuning. But you'd expect them to perform differently from each other, and the Holset.

What is drawing you to the Holset?

Personally I wouldn't use it. Why do you want to?

I suppose they are cheap, but in the scheme of things so are gt35s.

I've got an xr6 gt3576 with no housing for sale very soon. (Makes some bearing noise when shut down, pretty typical of xr6 turbos, search YouTube and see) for cheap.

That and a kando housing would be a budget option that will work.

well its this or a T67-25G
^ for that option i have to fork out cash up front and live on bread crumbs for awhile and not have a drivable car for ages.

The holset however is brand new and a mate has it which i can pay hinm\ at a later date

but from what i can see they are a very similar turbo, the other huge draw to it is the 500,000Ks warranty that holset offers to cummins/whatever which makes it rather apealing in relaibility terms.
That and rebuild kits are really common for the same reason.

on the SOHC 30e they are pos pressure at around 2500 which is also a massive plus ( this is mainly a track car)

Daniel you'll probably find the T67 is not as good as TDO6H turbine spec for your engine and application, if you chose that route.

Why not try the Holset, especially if the price and terms are right. If it doesn't perform to expectations, it should be relatively straightforward to rejig the inlet and dump pipe plumbing to take a different turbo. Got any ideas on what you'll use for an exhaust manifold?

That's a lot of mumbo to be trying to put to the ground in an R31 chassis... ??

Id give the holset a go. A mate of mine ran a hx35 on his rb25 many years back and it stood up ro the punishment he gave it. Very cheap to rebuild also. The hx35 is similar to a gt3076r in response and power output. And as mick said sound pretty awesome coming onto boost.

I'll clarify my cheap comment.

In relation to everything else spent on the car, a garret turbo isn't crazy expensive. Of course there are cheaper options, but if on a really tight budget be prepared to blow it anyway.

its a HR31, which kind of handle the power better than a live axle... depends on the cornering situation.
But im running slicks and managed to set the car up reasonabley well for the power it currently has.

Its just got a steampipe NZ mani ( hybrid performance) i think they are called.

spose i could always go eflex and cams to squeeze the extra power out if the holset runs out at 310-320 odd.

• 1 month later...

all you guys bagging out holset an know nothing about them,

these turbos are being used in nz very successfully on track drift and drag cars,

rb25 s2

hypertune copy plenum

id1000cc injectors

china 80mm tb

3inch intercooler piping

walbro 400lph pump

6boost manifold

45mm hypergate

superspark coil packs

trust fmic

tomei poncams

haltech pnp

greddy vct sprocket

tomei exhaust camgear

last but not least HOLSET hx35

took my gt35 off an replaced it with holset best thing iv could have done hitting full boost 24psi 1100rpm earlier an making 12 kw more on the down low less nothing changed except turbo same tuner same fuel

430kw@24psi

^^ Stout result that. Well done. :yes:

What fuel, and other than the HX35 family, what are the exact turbo specs?

Would like to see a dyno sheet just for interest sake.

The OP was asking about something suitable for a 30DET engine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...