SAU Community

6 Channel Cdi With Series 1 Style Coil Packs, Anyone Tried This?

GTRNUR

I've been thinking of a way to put together a discrete, yet powerful ignition system for an RB. Yes there are plenty of other conversions out there using GM/LS1 coil packs, but all look like a dogs breakfast due to the wiring alterations. I'd like to keep it all looking tidy and incognito.

So I figured, what about boosting the output from a standard series 1 style coil pack with a decent 6 channel CDI amplifier.

While not having the highest output voltage, the Splitfire coil packs are known for being reliable. I figure a set of Series 1 style (R32/R33 style) coils, and an AEM 8 channel CDI would make for an interesting combination.

The AEM CDI puts 540v on the coil primaries, and fires with multi-spark below 3000 rpm and twin spark after that. The input triggering can be set to low or high, so it will suit any ECU as well.

If anyone has tried anything like this and would like to share it would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I've just paired up some splitfires with my 500R CDI unit. Mine is only 4 channel so I'm running 3 channel wasted spark.

Mercury Motorsport posted about a similar set up a few years back.

About to turn up the boost so will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Eric, that's what I wanted to hear. So long as I am not pioneering it, I'm going to give it a try as well.

That speed hunters car is exactly what I want to avoid. Looks like crap! And frankly to hell with keeping coils cool. Completely unnecessary when the igniter isn't built into the coil. The coils are sealed in high temp resin and are designed to get hot.

Do you know if you ran your coils in parallel or series? I figure they would have to be in parallel to eliminate any resonate ringing effects between the coils as they discharge. Such a thing could potentially cause a false ignition spark in the partner coil. Not that it should matter with a waste spark arrangement.

Mine are run parallel. That's the way the Autronic 500R manual and SMC say to wire it up for wasted spark. Parallel charges each coil independently and when the field collapses that's what triggers the secondary coil and spark.

For CDI the unit controls both positive and negative coil wires running like a hundred volts rather than just 12v (14.4v). The result is bigger field but with less amps. So it really depends on the application.

Heat is still a consideration. The coils by their nature create heat and while epoxy bonded they are still metal with thin layer of insulation. I want to measure the heat in there on a track day. I'm sure it is an oven. If too hot, I might put some PC cooling fans in for air cooling.