SAU Community

Switching From R34 Gtr To R35 Gtr ?

Longz

It has an auto mode without even using the paddles. Then you have semi auto, when you press a paddle it shifts almost instantly.
I'm not hating on the r35, i obviously love the car and if i had the money to buy one and maintain it i'd do it in a heartbeat. but still i hate seeing manual coming to an end into the future and the internal combustion engine itself.

I'm sure people hated seeing the steam engine come to an end also. I bet you feel really connected to it when shoveling coal all day!

Lol, personally I can't wait till they perfect the batteries and we can start playing with brushless electric motors

I have a couple of RC cars, 1 is a CEN Nemisis 7.7 nitro, that's a $1200 race truggy, the other a $350 Acme Domiator brushless EBay special, guess which one spanks the other

• Like 1

Quite funny reading some of the comments what people think and believe about R35's....

Till you have driven a R35 on the track you will never own an older GTR, cant beat the felling of power sliding an AWD R35 while pulling the paddle shift to select the next gear.

From the 3 nsw 2009 modle R35 that have done several supersprint, time attack and drag events none have had transmission problems all are modified and run around 400kw @ the wheels. Just change the tranmission fluid every two track days. We all have used aftermarket fuilds in our cars that cost $260 for the 10L. Not sure why but Nissan do not have a listing for replacment filters in the R35 transmission, they just change the fluid and thats it. I bought some aftermarket transmission filters, dropped the pan and replaced them and got solinoids cleaned. filter are about $500 and done this when i got to 30,000km.

Have not had any other issue with my 2009 car that dose get driving very hard as most of you would know.

I am considering buying an R34 as I have had 4 TCM failures on my R35. It is expensive to repair and there is limited expertise in QLD. At times, I imported components from the states, other times from Dodson and Willall Racing. I really enjoy the car and have had it for 4 years but it is very inconvenient to have a breakdown in city traffic! Also very hard to get this car on a flatbed truck which I have done 4 times. Most flatbeds can't accommodate the low front end on the R35. One time, my wheels were all locked due to a sensor failure and the car could not be moved. I have replaced numerous components in the TCM and every time, I think it is going to last but there is always something new. I never launch the car. I do track it 4 times a year at a very amateur social level though but I have an HKS TCM cooler keeping the oil temps under control. I also upgraded the engine oil cooler. Something to also keep in mind is that in my experience, a stock R35 is not ideal to be tracked. It's brakes and TCM can't cope with the temperatures. Especially the TCM overheats after about 10-15 laps. Check out the GRT life and Heritage forums. There is a myriad of information on the R35 on there. Good luck with your decision! I am still not sure what to do but on Friday my car was stuck in neutral twice for a brief moment and I can feel another failure coming! Perhaps the R34 is a better track car as far as reliability goes?

• Like 1

Yes, but probably more than I would like to pay for a car that I want to track. And then if any changes are made to improve cooling for track like a TCM cooler or if one used other lubricants than OEM, the warranty is gone.

Does Nissan honour the warranty on unmodified but tracked GTRs?

Something to also keep in mind is that in my experience, a stock R35 is not ideal to be tracked. It's brakes and TCM can't cope with the temperatures. Especially the TCM overheats after about 10-15 laps. Check out the GRT life and Heritage forums. There is a myriad of information on the R35 on there.

Doing 10-15 laps in a road going R35 on the race track...Wow. All the NSW guys do maximum 3-4 laps in a session anything more than that and your bound to have issue and hurt things. I over heat the tyres after 1 hot lap so my usual track run is 1 warm up, 1 flying lap, cool down lap, 1 flying lap then cool down lap and pits.

What fluid you using in the transmission?

This, the 34 is a passion thing and the 35 is a better newer car, smart money is on the 35, as for quicker check sig and that is about to get faster soon and including buying the car I'm still under $80k

$3k for a service is not much for someone that just forked out $180k for the car, it's all perspective really

Heh, so true. I was standing behind a dude at the coffee shop in the building I work in and he was complaining about the service cost for his car. The guy serving him asked how much the service cost. "$16,000" came the reply, "How can they justify $16,000 for a service?". "What kind of car do you have?" asked the coffee dude. "Oh, a Lamborghini." came the response.

I wanted to tap him on the shoulder and say "Mate, they can justify the service price the same way you can justify spending $550,000 on a car - because they can." I have since learned the car he owns is a 2011ish Murchie.

One of my favorite saying - "It's all relative."

• 1 month later...

Geezus there are some mis-informed people in this thread. And alot of it i can tell comes from carpark banter and rumors from people who don't know or have not even bothered to ask an owner if it is true or not.

I have a 2012 GTR and an average service comes in at $250-$400

Recently my car ticked over to 20,000km and i decided to perform a major service of sorts.

I bought all MOTUL/Nimso Fluids - Engine Oil, Trans Oil, Diff Oils, Filters, Gaskets, and Coolant for just under $1000 delivered.

Here is the advertisement here:

10516770_10152809247818000_1103458688784

As for squeaky brakes, yes this is because of the stock pads. The stock pads are also very dusty. My rotors are due for replacing soon and aftermarket options are not only BETTER, but CHEAPER than OEM too.

I recently drove a friends R34 GTR as i had never driven one before and it was my hero car. To be honest, besides the look of the car, and driving manual, i would take the R35 GTR any day over the R34.

The low down tourqe and response from the V6 TT is just lightyears ahead of the aging RB26, the R35 GTR still scares the f**king bejeezus out of me sometimes when i put my foot down, and the g force it pulls which my wife keeps telling me is like being on a roller coaster. These days as well to be honest, i prefer the DCT transmission - it shifts faster, you can pop it in auto in traffic, launch control.... so much to do with it.

Even the R34 owner didnt want to get out of my car.....

And on a final note - there is so much aftermarket tuning being done and still constantly developing as time goes on the platform keeps getting better. Especially in regards to transmission issues - these are non existent with newer model GTRs, even things like the annoying bellhousing rattle has finally been fixed by Nissan. Tuners have also tweaked the TCM Roms to provide better and faster shifting, less clunking and overall better drive ability than stock. Then you have so much datalogging and ecu capabilities, such as traction control, launch control, BOTL, Rolling Launch..... just to name a few.

Such an awesome car to own..... R35 wins in my books.

Edited by BLISTC