SAU Community

time for rego

Hey guys i am a little unsure about what the go is in that with my last car i could take it to any authorised rego place to get it inspected for RWC. went into dickson motor registery and they said i had to take it to them as it was an imported car...

now i have heard a fair few bad things about them so if i do actually have to take it to them what should i be careful of or double check before i drop it off eg the turbo timer has been removed the only thing that is not stock on the car is the exhaust which is just a cat back... so this question is more for p1r4t8r as i know yours has a cat back exhaust + a pod did yours pass if so i think mine should be ok...

also i have a QLD rwc do i need to get a ACT rwc if so that is homo sif not have the same rules for each state...

With those mods, i'd say you'll be fine mate. Just make sure all the things for compliance were done. Take the compliancing paperwork with you if they query it. But yeah, just a cat back, should be no problems. Good luck

Best to keep ur car as stock as possible. Make sure that the rims and tyres are either standard or match what is listed on the placard. This should be on the sticker in the door well near the latch thingy. Exhaust will be a problem if over the noise limit in dB. I think maybe round 90-95dB?

Yep, all imports *have* to go over dickson pits for a roadworthy before registration.

From the sounds of it you should be fine, make sure you have either a *ENGLISH* tyre placard on the inside drivers door sill, or an 045 certificate from compliancing. I got f@#ked over hard for missing both of these, and in the end hand to get the wheels engineered.

Exhaust noise is 90db at 3500rpm, if youre 1 or 2 db over theyre usually ok with that.

Just be nice, be yourself, *do not* get your parents to take it in for you as they hate this. All of the guys there are extremely helpful, and at the end of the day if they fail you on something, dont get pissed at them as theyre only doing their jobs.

Yeah they're good blokes over there, as long as you don't have any illegal mods. I have NSW rego, but they made me take it through the pits as i got pinned with 96dB exhaust. then they picked up one of my headlights' angle was off, my car was too low and the tyres were shot. i'm glad i got these things fixed because now the car runs better.

The odd thing was they let me through with with a BOV and a Pod filter. i always thought these were hated by the RTA, but these guys didn't care.

I think it depends which guy you get and what moods he's in as to how picky they will be. Make sure that whatever compliance items are listed in the 045?? paperwork, has actually been done. Mine got picked up for having no "Max 80km/h" sticker on the space-saver, no owners manual and there was some dispute with seat belts, because it is an S2 with the twin airbags apparently the fine print allows for the japanese belts to be retained. Oh yeah and mine had a 3 inch cat back and went 101dB at dickson. If u can, have another person there to witness them do the exhaust noise test, ensuring that they keep the sensor at the correct distance from the end of the pipe.

DAVE is the guy you want, he's a great bloke and really does like imports(he has a fully worked deep violet commodore, with 19's a TV and heaps of other stuff) i thought i would be really clever and try to get my dad to take it over etc...anyway they knew it was mine and didnt care, at the end of the day all i had to get put on was a rear high mount brake light, which i installed myself and only cost $35. they could have done me for my drift handbrake, computer, and a couple little other things, but they were happy to let them go because they werent an issue to my or other drivers safety. cant ask for much more than that.

i guess there are really 2 ways of going about going over the pits.

1: you can take as much aftermarket gear as possible of your car and hope they pass it or only pin you for something tiny, if at all.

2: go in with all your mods on it and hope they do you for the really obvious stuff and then let you pass once you come back with the defectable bits off the car.

anyway, they really are a great group of guys down there and we could do much worse!!!

oh also they DO read these forums, thats how they knew it wasnt my car when i took it over.

Also a HUGE thankyou to all everyone from the ACT forum and the Syndicate boys for their kind help and advice and helping me get my car through!!!

hope all goes well for you mate.

Andrew.

no owners manual and .

?no owners manual? Sheesh!!! what did you end up doing about that?? Do people actually get owners manual's when they buy Skylines? Wouldn't they all be in Japanese anyway???? Am I missing something here?

Gosh my 'line hasn't got ANY compliance papers let alone an owner's manual -

(Naturally its got the green plate - I wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't)

I think the guy i imported it through was being a bit lazy, but he did all those fiddly little bits without a hassle, he put a stock exhaust on so it would pass, then put the cat-back on after it all passed without any extra charge, so it worked out ok. I think they mite have an "understanding" with their local RTA in NSW so those niggly little things go through without a problem.

The owners manual is all english, but just has useless crap like a/c and stereo controls

as i said its only a few things i had heard so if you all give em big ups then i got confidence in them :P yea the car apart from the exhaust is stock so i should be good all the paper work is getting express delivered to me should arrive tomorrow some time now i just gotta wait for the car to arrive. Cheers for all the replies guys :)

Hey, hey. Sorry for my late reply. I didn't take the car down for rego, the guy we're buying it off did. that was a condition of sale that it goes for rego before we buy. Anyways, to my knowledge the car was exactly as you see it in the pics on my website, although we had the rear window tinting removed. The tinting seemed a bit dicey plus it looked stupid cause it was just on the rear windows.

I don't think there was any problem with it as far as i know. It's got a few minor mods done to it like blow off valve but they didn't fault it for that. However all this said the car DOES NOT have rego. we ran into some trouble with VIN numbers and a minor typo on some paperwork so we have to get that sorted out before we can get the plates.

blackdoggette, the owners manual doesnt have to be a proper one from Nissan - it just needs to be something in english that has important safety stuff like how to hook up baby seats to the child restraints... stuff like that.

I got failed for it too :P

luckily my compliancer supplied one (just a crappy photocopied thing, only about 8 pages)...i took it in and showed them and they were happy.

I also had to get a seat belt removed, cos it was complied at as a 4-seater but they'd put in 3 belts in the back making it a 5-seater :(

• 3 weeks later...
...it just needs to be something in english that has important safety stuff like how to hook up baby seats to the child restraints... stuff like that ... luckily my compliancer supplied one (just a crappy photocopied thing, only about 8 pages)...

now i know why the dealer i bought mine from gave me some crappy little 6 page booklet. i bought the english converted manual from those nz people if anyone wants to copy/read (not really worth buying - but nice to have).

j

now i know why the dealer i bought mine from gave me some crappy little 6 page booklet. i bought the english converted manual from those nz people if anyone wants to copy/read (not really worth buying - but nice to have).

j

Shell / jnr_j

I would love to get a copy of this - Can we arrange something? Although I have S1 and jnr_j - you have a S2 - wonder if there is a difference in the contents of 'the manual'?

Shell / jnr_j

I would love to get a copy of this - Can we arrange something? Although I have S1 and jnr_j - you have a S2 - wonder if there is a difference in the contents of 'the manual'?

This is the one I bought:

http://www.jpnz.co.nz/xcart/customer/produ...12&cat=8&page=3

It covers all R33s, s1 & s2 and GTRs.

pm me and you are welcome to borrow it for a while, it's a lot of pages to copy though!

j

that's odd, the only manual in my car was all in Japanese... perhaps the guy i bought my car off supplied it with one to pass at rego and then kept it afterwards. wouldn't be surprised as this was his third?/fourth? skyline he's imported.

This is the one I bought:

http://www.jpnz.co.nz/xcart/customer/produ...12&cat=8&page=3

It covers all R33s, s1 & s2 and GTRs.

pm me and you are welcome to borrow it for a while, it's a lot of pages to copy though!

j

I just discovered my photocopier here at work is awesome! :D

Can take in whole loads of pages, and copies them, then binds them, so so sweet :)

yeah i have an owners manual too, but it's in Jap... you can still understand lots of it by the funny little cartoons tho lol

If you need something to pass rego though, the Jap owners manual is no good whether its translated or not...cos it still doesn't have the instructions for child restraints etc (as they are all fitted here at compliance).

blackdoggette, if you want a copy of the booklet my compliancer gave me, just give us a yell and i'll photocopy it :)

I just discovered my photocopier here at work is awesome! :)

Can take in whole loads of pages, and copies them, then binds them, so so sweet :rofl:

Those copiers are great, but it won't help here. It's a bound booklet, so you can't feed it through or anything like that.

Probably the best thing would be if somebody could be bothered to scan it in, and produce a nice pdf version. It's about 280 pages and they're short and wide so that you can't fit 2 of them on an A4 copy, so copying/scanning is going to take a while...

Lets not forget credit should really go to JPNZ who translated the thing, they do deserve some reward (like people buying it!) for helping out Jap import owners. AU$45 is maybe a bit much to ask I guess, but we want to encourage companies doing this sort of thing by supporting them. Meanwhile I'm happy to lend my copy :rofl: