SAU Community

My Introduction / What Type Of Oil Should I Use / High Idling

Bartjan

Hi there everyone, and happy new year!

My name is Bartjan. I'm from Holland, The Netherlands.

Searching for some info I came across this forum and it looks like it holds a lot of knowledge about the M35 Stagea.

That's why I joined you because I have some questions, and I probably will have some more in the future.

Last friday I bought a 2003 Nissan GH-M35 Stagea. 125kkm on it.

The car has been imported by somebody who moved out of Japan and took it with him to Holland in 2006.

About a year ago this person had to move back to Japan and sold this car to the person I bought it from.

He could not find anyone to sell it to, until I showed up.

The car has been standing still for about a year.

I have been driving it just a bit around town and made some trips and i put about 200km on the odo.

Dispite a flat battery and a flat tire, that I changed immediately, the car runs really great!

At this point there are only two basic questions I would like to ask.

-> Wat is the best brand/type motor oil I should use?

I really want to change the oil and filter, because it's a bit dark and I'm not well informed about the service history.

I live in a climate where min/max temp is around 0C winter -30C summer.

-> Second is: When I start the car it runs really smootly around 800rpm.

After an half hour drive, the engine is well warmed up the idle sticks at 1600rpm.

When I park the car and put it in P or N, it stays respectively at 1600rpm.

When I rev it a little to 3000rpm it goes down to 1600rpm and repeatedly goes up to 2200 rpm and back to 1600 rpm in a rythmn.

When I turn the ignition of, wait for 3 minutes, and start the engine again it idles again around 800 rpm.

What could this be?

I know the car has been standing still for a while, maybe this has to do some with this behavior.

I would really appreciate your help on this issue,

Thank you,

Bartjan

Edited by Bartjan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies!

Changed the engine oil and filter. I still need to fix the high/hunting idle.

And I also have an airbag warning light.

Last weekend I wanted to do a read-out with an Autel Maxiscan MS509. The connector fits to the car but I didn't get the vehicle to respond to the scanner.

Could it be possible that I don't have the right cable with the right pin-out?

Could someone tell me what type of cable I should have?

And can I reset things like an airbag warning with this device?

Thanks!

RE oil: run 0W-40 fully synthetic. Brand - whatever is available locally.

Agreed. I like Mobil M1.

For the high idle, I had a very high idle both cold and hot when i first got the car, and performing the idle learning procedure fixed it but I dont know if it will help in your case. It was difficult to get it to trigger.... You might need to create an account for this link;

http://m35stagea.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=206&sid=6e695677a13eeadf8a8c47b2f2c9d542

The scanner probably wont work. They call OBDII a standard but that seems to be a very generous interpretation of the word "standard". You'll probably need a Consult 3 or 4 to read it.