SAU Community

R32 Gts+t Daily/street

Other box was pulled down and inspected. This was the selector fork.

0UmVW6N.jpg

The remains of the box can be salvaged into a good one with the help of some new synchro's, bearings, sleeves etc along with of course a new selector fork. So the plan is to get that done and keep it on the shelf

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Went up to The Bend for DSA Winterfest the other weekend. Primary as a volunteer to help out but with an opportunity to do some driving later in the day.

Y0UKvqG.jpg

zhBWlvU.jpg

Had a bit of time on both the skidpan and my first proper sessions on the main track.

Between sessions we thought there was the smell of gear oil but couldn't see any drips and assumed the freshly installed gearbox may have been slightly over full and was coming out the breather.

Called it a day and drove home. Half way home there was a very loud whining sound which came and went based on load. The weather was very windy with the threat of a storm rolling in so I kept on my way. I was fearing that the freshly rebuilt gearbox was the cause of the noise. After making it home I had a good look under the car and...

G45PPXK.jpg.

Left it in the carport overnight and got some sleep

• Like 2

Further investigation found that a ring gear bold had come loose and punched a hole in the housing before presumably being grabbed by the magnet.

CirjvWS.jpg

ICvmh45.jpg

imblamL.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Jesus, someone forgot to use loctite and torque down the bolts properly? (I'm assuming the diff shop did it)

unsure but the diff has been in the car since ~2017.  I bought it used but had alleged been checked over. Either way that's 30-40 track days + street driving. 

Shocked and impressed i did ~30mins drifting + 120km ont he freeway with it likely in this state

• Like 2

I acquired another stock R200 and have pulled the broken diff out the car. I am going to take them both to 1110 this week and go from there.

Hopefully the centre is salvageable but if not a new 2-way centre, probably KAAZ or OS-Giken, will be needed. I am open to recommendations for good 2-ways (any recommendations of jUsT WelD iT/ JUSt sHiM iT will be ignored).

Here are some extra photos of the carnage

r0k8Z5Q.jpg

Lw66klb.jpg

QaVjNuj.jpg

0pXDmei.jpg

• Sad 1

Fun Fact the diff did ~ 3,984,053 revolutions in my ownership before the bolt worked itself out and caused real problems 

~ = approximately. based on the tyre size and km's driven ish.

Yes another bolt was also partially out. There does not seem to be any locktite on one that came out at least.

Well it has been confirmed that the Nismo 2-way centre is only really good for spares now. I know the half shafts are specific to the Nismo.

The person who will be setting up the new diff has recommended:
For track KAAZ or Cusco
For street OS Giken

So I am open to thoughts from people with personal experience with various 2-ways. Considering the main use case of the car is driving to the track, doing a track day drift or grip, then driving home. I am leaning towards the KAAZ normal or Super Q variant. 

22 minutes ago, CRSKmD said:

So I am open to thoughts from people with personal experience with various 2-ways

A few of my mates (that decided not to be a tight arse) installed Nismo 1.5 ways into their S15s (3x of them in total) and I can tell you they all drive so nice. Gentle engagement, locks and unlocks when you need it. U-Turns (at low speeds) don't end in violent wheel chatter or hopping.

Meanwhile, me being a tight arse, opted for a KAAZ 2-way. It feels like I have a welded diff half the time lol... eventually got the shits, and took the diff to Smithfield Diff & Gearbox and asked them dumb it down a bit and rebuild the stupid thing.

It's much better now lol.

29 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

A few of my mates (that decided not to be a tight arse) installed Nismo 1.5 ways into their S15s (3x of them in total) and I can tell you they all drive so nice. Gentle engagement, locks and unlocks when you need it. U-Turns (at low speeds) don't end in violent wheel chatter or hopping.

Meanwhile, me being a tight arse, opted for a KAAZ 2-way. It feels like I have a welded diff half the time lol... eventually got the shits, and took the diff to Smithfield Diff & Gearbox and asked them dumb it down a bit and rebuild the stupid thing.

It's much better now lol.

I had a Cusco 1.5-way 4.08 early on, then changed to a Nismo 1.5-way 4.11 and then to a Nismo GT Pro 2-way 4.36.
The Nismo GT Pro was the nicest of the lot but i had it set fairly tight so it did end up clunking and carrying on in carparks.

I know you can stack the plates on most clutch type LSD's a certain way to effect the engagement.

If it was a street only car I might do the nismo again but the advise from someone who builds and services them is that they are not as good as they used to be and not as suitable for my use case as the other options.

which KAAZ variant did you get? normal or super Q

It was close to 10 years ago, so I don't believe the Super Q was out, so safe to assume it's the normal KAAZ unit.

It was also an used one, already in a R33 ABS housing, ready to go from Japan. Had relatively mild use, because it locked very well for a good period of time.

I don't understand any benefit of a 2 way diff over a 1.5 way one, either street or track. You don't want your wheels locking together under deceleration in either case.

No idea about the other brands, I've only used Nismo 1.5 and shimmed GTR 2 way

33 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I don't understand any benefit of a 2 way diff over a 1.5 way one, either street or track. You don't want your wheels locking together under deceleration in either case.

No idea about the other brands, I've only used Nismo 1.5 and shimmed GTR 2 way

For grip i'd agree but for drift the consistency of the rear end behaviour on deceleration is needed.
It is...manageable... for grip but does promote understeer or additional rotation on corner entry which is a compromise i'm happy to make so that it works well drifting too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

If I could turn back the hands of time, I would have just bought a 1.5 way Nismo. However the KAAZ 2-way came up for a good price and it was still in quite good condition so that was snapped up instead.

With the 2-way, you get used to it around the circuit. It does disengaged however not on a hard decel.

yeah,  having had a 2-way of some description in the car for the last 6-7 years i think i will stick to that configuration. but might even up re-stacking it be be a little gentler if needed. Just waiting on quotes and then we'll see.

In the mean time here is some POV drifting on the skidpan. Trying out a new camera angle/setting on the GoPro

• Like 2

• 1 month later...