SAU Community

Need Help With R33 And R34 Gt-r Rear Ends

Ok so I am nearing an end to my R34 GT-T to GT-R conversion. the motor, transmission and front diff are all from a R32/33 GTR not the R34 so the trans is a 5 speed and the front diff ratio is 4.11.

I just got R34 GT-R front and rear subframes complete with suspension, brakes, rear end, steering (front and rear although i am deleting the HICAS) . the rear diff is 3.54 ratio so i will need to swap that to a 4.11 to match the front diff. I also noticed that the Attesa ETS pump was not on the rear diff and subframe assembly. I thought that the attessa pumps were mounted on the Diffs on all years. I just got an R33 GT-R rear diff (4.11) and it has the pump mounted right to it. the housings to both diffs are very similar except the pointing points for the Attessa pump are not on the R34 GT-R rear end. was it located else where?

also a few other things i noticed. the bolt flanges on the R34 and R33 rear ends for the CV shafts are different. so I will not be able to run the CV shafts i have in my completed R34 GT-R rear subframe assembly if i put the R33 GT-R rear end in it.

does anyone know if i can take apart the diffs and put the ring and pinion or entire assembly from the R33 diff into the R34 housing?
OR can the part that comes out of the rear diff and has the ABS stuff on it and mounts to the CV shafts be swapped over to the other diff? basically put the abs/inner shaft part into the R33 diff so it will still bolt up to the R34 CV shafts?

hope this all makes sense. I am uploading pics also. hang tight i will post them shortly

All GTR axles are 6 x 1. They are thicker and stronger than the GTT. You will have to find a way to mount your attessa pump. I will look under my car later and see how it was done, We also change over the abs rings. The 3.54 diffs are sought after so you should have no trouble selling it.

first pic is the R33 GT-R rear end. 3 double bolt flange for the CV shaft.

the second pic is the R34 GT-R rear end. notice the evenly spaced 6 bolt for the CV shaft. can that cv shaft "yoke" with the ABE ring on it be pulled from the R34 GT-R rear end and put in the R33 GT-R rear end?

post-133961-0-20134700-1423775760_thumb.jpg

post-133961-0-18147800-1423775762_thumb.jpg

ok info update. i guess the rear end i bought was from an R33 Stagea. that is why its different. anyone know if the parts are interchangable? can i put the CV "yoke" (with the ABS stuff on it) from the R34 GTR rear end in this R33 GTR or i guess Stagea rear end?

OK by now you see that 6 x 1 is the bolt arrangement - the Stagea is 3 x 2. The Stagea diff will have either a crappy viscous LSD or no LSD so it is not much use to you. You may be able to get the R34GTR diff to work by changing the C&P if it was not a V spec but you will need 6 x 1 axles of the right length. The Stagea crownwheel and pinion is close but not exactly the same as the GTR ratio. It may still pay for you to look for an R32 or 33 GTR rear end - you should be able to sell the R34GTR no problem.

thanks for the reply!

over the weekend in removed both the inner half shafts out of the rear ends. the 6x1 GTR R34 rear end is 32 splined, the R33 stagea 3x2 are 30 spline so i was un able to put the GTR shafts in the stagea rear end.

next option, is what you said. I am trying to see if i can take the 4.11 C&P out of the Stagea rear end and swap it with the 3.54 C&P in the R34 GT-R rear end.

you said the ratio from the stagea R33 rear end is close but not the same as the GTR. the research i did i found that the R34 GTR is not close at all (3.54 ratio) while the R33 and R32 GTR have 4.11 ratio, as well as t he R33 Stagea (4.11) my front diff is 4.11 so ratio wise i should be dead on. correct?

my only question is the C&P directy swappable from the R33 Stagea rear end to an R34 GT-R rear end. the rear end i dont believe is a vspec, no coiling fins and i dont think it has A-LSD due to no fluid lines coming from the rear end other that the one vent tube.

Sorry I meant Stagea at 4.08 is close to the R33GTR 4.11 diff which you have in the front - I assumed you would not be using the 3.545 out of the R34GTR diff. I don't know if the Stagea CW&P will fit the R34 LSD diff - you will soon know - and as I say there is a small difference in the ratio but it may not be significant or you can overcome it with wheel/tyre combinations. I do think the 6 x 1 axles can fit the Stagea hubs as I have 6 x 1 axles in my Stagea (although I think the GTR hubs may be lighter than the Stagea ones if you want to saveweight) but you need to carefully check the lengths as in some case an axle may be an inch or less too short and fall out! 6 x 1 axles are found on all GTRs, GTS-4, some 300Z and the Stagea 260RS (pretty rare in the US I would think) and not all are the same length including being different left and right.

Sorry I meant Stagea at 4.08 is close to the R33GTR 4.11 diff which you have in the front - I assumed you would not be using the 3.545 out of the R34GTR diff. I don't know if the Stagea CW&P will fit the R34 LSD diff - you will soon know - and as I say there is a small difference in the ratio but it may not be significant or you can overcome it with wheel/tyre combinations. I do think the 6 x 1 axles can fit the Stagea hubs as I have 6 x 1 axles in my Stagea (although I think the GTR hubs may be lighter than the Stagea ones if you want to saveweight) but you need to carefully check the lengths as in some case an axle may be an inch or less too short and fall out! 6 x 1 axles are found on all GTRs, GTS-4, some 300Z and the Stagea 260RS (pretty rare in the US I would think) and not all are the same length including being different left and right.

hmmm so the stagea isnt a 4.11 rear end ratio? the company a purchased it from said it wass a 4.11. but then again they also sold me a stagea rear end not an R33 GTR, and when i confronted them they said they were the same, so then i proved them wrong and they were like oh we learned something new. I can return it but id have to pay the return shipping and that costs almost as much as the item.... DAMN having little to no support for skylines in the US!

to answer your question about the GTR R34 axles fitting in the Stagea rear end, they do no. the R34 GTR has a 32 spline shaft going into the rear end. the Stagea only has a 30 spline.

are you 100% sure that the stagea rear end is not 4.11? and its 4.08? that worries me that they will be off

I didn't say the GTR axles would fit in the Stagea diff I said the other end would fit in the hubs.

However if your diff was from a 260RS you are in luck as it will be 4.1 (you can easily check by counting the teeth on the pinion and the CW) and also it will have a proper LSD

I didn't say the GTR axles would fit in the Stagea diff I said the other end would fit in the hubs.

However if your diff was from a 260RS you are in luck as it will be 4.1 (you can easily check by counting the teeth on the pinion and the CW) and also it will have a proper LSD

Sorry I miss understood you. I am also lead to believe that the Stagea axles are not as long as the R34 GTR axles. not sure 100% tho. either way I dont even have the stagea axles, just hte inner half shafts.

You don't even have to count teeth. The ratios are stamped into the edge of the crownwheel.

I will inspect tonight

I contacted the seller to see what Stagea this mystery rear end is out of. but i saw the rear subframe it was pulled from, was equipt with black brembos. they had a matching front subframe i also believe was from the same car in the background of the pictures, also had black brembos and was AWD. so im assuming it was the AWD RB26 Stagea. so if that chart and my thoughts are correct I have the 4.11 rear end/

you were correct. the rear gear ratio was 4.083. we took it apart over the weekend and checked.

so i guess im in the market for a 4.111 ring and pinion gear set. would like it to fit the R34 GTR rear end (non active LSD)... i believe the rear end is the R200h? will a standard 4.111 ring in pinion work thats for an R200?