SAU Community

R34 Gtr Garrett -5 Turbo Lag, Need Advise

baicai

I'm sure a mate would do it for a slab of beer. Some bloke does them on here for $100 exchange.

It most Definately does make a difference. Plenty of info on the net about it.

While we are on the topic of exhausts. I've got hks gt-ss (-9's) turbos going in atm with hks dumps.

before you go any further get rid of the HKS dump pipes and go to an open belmouth design, due to the design of the hks pipes they are a pretty major retraction

Yeah I have read the topics relating to the mod, makes sense why it works so well. Anyone in Melbourne?

It was a very stupid design from Nissan. A little bit more thought would have gone a long way, but I Spose it worked well for it's intended purpose of 300 hp - give or take.

If you want response and internal gate then maybe a EFR8374 might be the "right" answer?!?

I know that my 6262 is better down low and up top that -5s so the EFR8374 should be even better with response and also be able to make more power than the low mounts.

For reference here is a 6262 vs -5s with similar specs on same dyno (6262 running more boost)

received_10153635513684616_zpsybzyo0oc.j

I see that the new turbo tech is good but some people have a budget want around the 400kw mark and do not want to change front pip manifold, dump pipe, intercooler pipes, Intercooler and BOV.

You still can get good results and more than enough power and response with -5's without having to change to a single turbo.

that is what i honestly think and achieved with my build.

Edited by Stixbnr32

If you want response and internal gate then maybe a EFR8374 might be the "right" answer?!?

I know that my 6262 is better down low and up top that -5s so the EFR8374 should be even better with response and also be able to make more power than the low mounts.

For reference here is a 6262 vs -5s with similar specs on same dyno (6262 running more boost)

See this makes me sick in the pit of my stomach :) I love my singles, but the other day I was even pulled over in my daily BMW so the plan for the R32 is get it engineered with an RB26 and low mount twins. :( All so I can continue to enjoy it as a fun club-street car for years to come...and be slower. :(

Well, from Matty James-Wallace' back to back between the -5's and the internal gate 8374 it's night and day. Comes on 5-700 rpm earlier than the -5's. I'd believe it too after having the pleasure of experiencing a GTR with an EFR on it too.

Well, from Matty James-Wallace' back to back between the -5's and the internal gate 8374 it's night and day. Comes on 5-700 rpm earlier than the -5's. I'd believe it too after having the pleasure of experiencing a GTR with an EFR on it too.

Yeah I've been in Matt's car and it's impressive. Hard to judge being a 3.0L vs my 2.6L, actually next time I'm at the dyno I'll try and grab and overlay.

My expectation is a EFR8474 would be a few hundred rpm earlier than mine any only miss out on a little bit top end on same capacity motor.

Edited by SimonR32

Yeah I've been in Matt's car and it's impressive. Hard to judge being a 3.0L vs my 2.6L, actually next time I'm at the dyno I'll try and grab and overlay.

My expectation is a EFR834 would be a few hundred rpm earlier than mine any only miss out on a little bit top end on same capacity motor.

That would be good for an overlay.

Interesting you say that about the top end. The 8374 has 62.6 mm inducer and 83 mm exducer compared to the 6262 of 62 mm in and 82 ex. I realize its a bit more complicated than that but food for thought as thr EFR is has a bigger front fan on both accounts.

The right sized single could certainly come on earlier than twins because you have 6cyls driving one medium exhaust exhaust wheel. On twins you effectively cut the engine in half to drive two smallish to medium exhaust wheels, this is what drives the lag profile.

Also before you go and buy random parts talk to a workshop in person and give them the problem statement. This might save you a few $k in parts only to find it does nothing to shift the boost profile where you expect it, ie I think you expect a 600rpm+ shift in boost profile from those parts, I'm not convinced they would get anywhere near that amount of change in response.

Would be curious as to where GTX2860/63s (modified for OEM fitment) fit in the mix.

They should be an improvement over normal -5s, but enough to give the EFR8374 a run for it's money? Maybe not.

Would be curious as to where GTX2860/63s (modified for OEM fitment) fit in the mix.

They should be an improvement over normal -5s, but enough to give the EFR8374 a run for it's money? Maybe not.

Issue is, who i going to do the back to back. Its alot of coin tied up in all those parts :(.

If only a company makes some steam pipe manifolds... everyone makes that stainless balla manifolds that only a few can afford...

If like to see either EFR6758s or PTE5130s as a true bolton for the RB26 so the small twins can enjoy some of the tech the big singles have been getting :(