SAU Community

R34 Gtr Garrett -5 Turbo Lag, Need Advise

baicai

so his trap speed was less but time was better with the extra shift. Wonder how much softening the suspension helped.

im pretty interested in this convo. I can see both points been a fine line and valid.

Tyres matter here also, if running slicks then the traction lose from doing this change is greatly reduced

This is where everyone is different and every car is different as well and you need to set up your car accordingly

I don't believe by throwing in short diff ratio and doing nothing else would result in a faster ET at a slower MPH, the theory should make that the other way, so what else was done to add traction

I went from 18" every day tyres to 16" drag radials with a bigger diameter and went 0.2 seconds faster at 2MPH slower due to traction increase

• Like 1

Tyres matter here also, if running slicks then the traction lose from doing this change is greatly reduced

This is where everyone is different and every car is different as well and you need to set up your car accordingly

I don't believe by throwing in short diff ratio and doing nothing else would result in a faster ET at a slower MPH, the theory should make that the other way, so what else was done to add traction

I went from 18" every day tyres to 16" drag radials with a bigger diameter and went 0.2 seconds faster at 2MPH slower due to traction increase

he also changed the the ride height and all the alignment settings to get more tyre on the ground

he also changed the the ride height and all the alignment settings to get more tyre on the ground

Ah huh said the blind man, so faster ET can be put down to better traction from suspension setup but better traction wont lower MPH, that falls fair and squarely on diff ratios

Or possibly change gears less depending on your situation as you can afford to hold a higher gear instead of gearing down..... how long is a piece of string... it just changes the characteristic of the car.... some advantages and some trade offs.....

Ah huh said the blind man, so faster ET can be put down to better traction from suspension setup but better traction wont lower MPH, that falls fair and squarely on diff ratios

Bingo, don't let people know that because it "feels" faster

Or possibly change gears less depending on your situation as you can afford to hold a higher gear instead of gearing down..... how long is a piece of string... it just changes the characteristic of the car.... some advantages and some trade offs.....

So in this case, the 6 speed is slower because of the extra gear change. I race my car a lot and I can tell you the standard 5 speed and 4.11s is only worth replacing if you are having strength problems or want a dog engagement. 4.3's or Getrag conversions don't have a real benefit in performance.

Edited by SimonR32
  • Like 1

Bingo, don't let people know that because it "feels" faster

So in this case, the 6 speed is slower because of the extra gear change. I race my car a lot and I can tell you the standard 5 speed and 4.11s is only worth replacing if you are having strength problems or want a dog engagement. 4.3's or Getrag conversions don't have a real benefit in performance.

Maybe.... I suppose it depends on the application. Obviously Mines thought it's was essential for their setup for Tsukuba, so there must be some advantage there don't you think? Did not bad at willow springs either. I think Mine's did the modification for a reason and I am sure they did enough r&d to support their decision based on the r33 experience.

The 34 was only one sec faster and you can see the 33 labouring on a few of the corner exits. I am sure with shorter gearing the 33 would have been faster. Anyway if you want to see the difference gearing makes, just have the 33 and 34 videos running side by side.

Not saying it's better just different and maybe be an advantage in the correct application.

Hi guys, so took the r34 gt-r to wakefield yesterday for some hot laps. The car goes well with the -5 turbos, but I found the power sweet spot is between 6000rpm-8000rpm. If I shifted a bit early and at 5500rpm it takes longer to get back up to speed. Also on some of the slower corner where some cars are in 3rd gear I find my self shifting down to 2nd otherwise I'll be in 3rd gear at 4500rpm and no power.

First time at wakefield with the gt-r (last time with s2000 was 10 years ago) and needed alot of practice, my best time was 1:14, pretty slow I know, didn't want to post in the laptime thread was too embrassed, LOL. Could have gone a bit quicker with my old turbo I guess as I wouldn't have to shift to 2nd gear that much.

But in conclusion I can say the lag of the -5 turbos didn't bother me too much on track, felt better than on the street cause I'm always above 6000rpm in any gear. Might go better at eastern creek with less slow corners.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, currently being offered a Greddy hard pipe suction kit that replaces the twin turbo pipes and afm intake pipes, just want to know if it will make a difference in my setup ie power or response and is it worth getting. Any one with this kit feel a difference at all?