SAU Community

Coil Pack gone out da windy

ok, im fairly sure one of my coil packs is failing causing a random missfire on idle and on cruising throttle. now the missfire is a little too random to just pull the plug off and see which one is causing it so i was just wondering whether like the rb20det coils you can sus out which one is screwed by taking an ohm reading on each one and if anyone has an idea on the specs. Also, are the rb20det/rb25det coils the same?

cheers

RB20 &c RB25 coils are interchangeable, im running 5 x rb20 with 1 x rb25 coil.

It may pay to check the resistance with a bit of temp in them, as mine when cold at room temperature all measured the same resistance...it was only after a drive and quickly ripping them out was i able to find the culprit coil

yea cheers, i can get hold of some rb20det coils so ill check them out and see how i go. thats all i needed to know. my miss is fairly bad on cruising throttle so ill probably be able to pick which one is being the bastard.

thanks

• 1 month later...

just to revive an old thread, i just got my Splitfire Di coil packs today from jp. Now on the box it says for RB Series engines: RB26DETT, RB25DE, RB20DET & RB20DE. Will these be ok for my series 1 RB25DET? i rekon they will be. any help appreciated :D

-rb25

its not always the coils.. everybody just blames the coils when they're not sure :) its a favourite tuners response: "I don't really know what is going on so I'll just tell you its coils"

if i find out that this is the case, i will do all of my own work from that day forward. And its too late, i already own the new coils and I found out that the ones i was given are ok to use on RB25DET.

-rb25

its not always the coils.. everybody just blames the coils when they're not sure :) its a favourite tuners response: "I don't really know what is going on so I'll just tell you its coils"
That's a lame excuse considering its about a 30min job to replace the coils and test.

:) true, it just seems a lot seems to be about coils lately as the root of all evils. a few people have wasted a bit of money to find out its hasn't been - then again some have found it is.. so *shrug*

Guess you can only one thing at a time to eliminate things - I have an rb25 s1 igniter if you want to quickly test that sometime, although again thats only part of the whole system.

timing is perfect, the problem was discovered during tuning.

ok, i just put them in and went for a drive, using the old platinum plugs that would make it miss. Didn't miss a beat all the way to 7000 on 0.92bar. Very happy, fixed my problem. Also, after looking at the old coil packs, 5 of them have big white spots on both sides indicating spark blow-out if im right? Time for a re-tune with some more timing now....

-rb25