SAU Community

Best Replacement For Standard Shock Absorbers In Skyline/stageas

Sure thing, I appreciate the advice. Are you running a Skyline or Stagea?

I will chase up availability and pricing of both brands to start with. Normally I would prefer to do it once, do it right.

R32. But same same enough for this conversation.

FWIW, the SK B6 dampers I have are set up to match normal R32 GTSt Kings low springs. Because of some peculiarities with my car I actually have Kings GTR springs, which are somewhat harder again. Stock springs are in the 3 kg/mm range, the Kings are in the 4s and the Kings GTRs are over 5. Not sure exactly, have the numbers written down somewhere. Anyway, the point is that even though the dampers are set up for a particular spring rate, as far as I am concerned, they are handling springs that are 20-25% stiffer very well. That is one of the big advantages of the Bilsteins - they have a really wide range of damping ability.

Ok that's good to know. I have heard really good things about bilsteins from another mate as well. I wouldnt mind dropping it an inch but any more i would be pushing my luck.

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=331534544073

Bilstein B6 Suspension Package - R33 Gts-t and R34 GT - Coilovers

Thats a good find however the rear shocks in the 260 are a fork type.

Called a local suspension shop today and they said no KYB will fit stagea..

Is anyone running KYB in their c34?

Got a decent quote on Bilsteins B6 and also Koni adjustable.

Has anyone had good experiences with Koni?

Thats a good find however the rear shocks in the 260 are a fork type.

Called a local suspension shop today and they said no KYB will fit stagea..

Is anyone running KYB in their c34?

Got a decent quote on Bilsteins B6 and also Koni adjustable.

Has anyone had good experiences with Koni?

Which Koni?

Have you had a read of SK's "Shockabsorbers 101" at the top of this section?

• 3 months later...

Its more out of curiosity, i only want about a 15-20mm drop as i am aiming for comfort and general performance increase. But i just wondered what the answer is to either or both questions

I ran SK Bilsteins on the RS4S with stock springs and they were fine. There was plenty of height adjustability and no issues with spring rates IMO (amateur that it is).

The issue of getting the height right is that it is a suck it and see thing with circlip grooves. You set it up and drop the car and cross your fingers it settles at a height you are happy with otherwise back to the start.

Yeah i can imagine, it would be a tedious time consuming process.

My question is due to the nature of adjustment via moving the spring seat, this reduces the dampening travel in the shock. How much have you guys lowered from stock and kept good performance? 30mm? More?

The correct heights for Skylines are about 345mm front and 355mm rear. Should be similar for Stageas, but you'd want to check the angle of the lower arm on a Skyline that was at the correct height and compare across to the Stag.

FWIW, a 15-20mm drop from standard will be fine.