SAU Community

Speedo needle in R33 keeps flickering...

Mornin...

Well as just got my Skyline, she does a few weird things, the speedo needle flickers, and occasionally just stops reading altogether, when it does it feels much heavier to steer and the hicas light comes on, any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it??

Z32

wow - this is your lucky day

I just had exactly the same problem with my R32 GTR (only a few days ago) - eventually the speedo stoped working altogether.

It turned out to be the small plastic 'pin' that connects the speedo cable to the speedo itself. When I removed my speedo the existing pin fell to the floor of the car in a number of separate peaces :) (perished with age I think)

I got a new speedo cable from Nissan (~$80 AUD) and removed the little white plastic pin from the new one. Be careful - its fragile and also has a small spring that will fall out and hide itself. I put the new pin into the end of my existing speedo cable behind the speedo (grease too) - and viola - works again. I had to take the dash and instrument cluster out to do this - but that was reasonably easy (8-10 screws I think).

I assume we have 'speed' sensitive power steering - so when the speedo stops working - so does the power steer (I think)

Could also be the sender is loose under the car (off the gearbox), always pays to check that too. May be an easier fix than pulling apart the dash if the problem isn't there (not that it couldn't be the above either :))

As itbmils is saying, with the skylines a few things are based on the speed it reads, so power steering, HICAS and some other thing may go funny if its getting a dodgy reading.

Hey, ummm the r33 doesn't use a speedo cable!! it's all electronic!!

mine does it every now and then, but mines been removed a couple of times and the plugs in the back must loose connection a little bit!

cant explain why that affects the hicas etc, the steering on mine remains OK too.

Thanks guys for your responses...

Allan, have you had any problems with toe/camber or uneven tyre wear? That is my main concern.

Does it help to remove the fuse? If so which one is it?

Thanks fellas