SAU Community

N1 Water Pump On Street Driven Car?

GSX-R35

Since my R32 came with no service records I've been working on some appropriate maintenance needs. One of the top ones on my list was getting the timing belt swapped. It was recommended to me that I should go ahead and swap the water pump at the same time since the shop will already be in there. At first I thought of doing the N1 upgrade but then I read on one forum (I believe it was here actually) a good point that the N1 is meant for good flow at high RPM and therefore a mostly street driven car would probably be better off with a regular OEM pump. However, I can't seem to get the OEM pump here in the States - everyone's out of stock. The N1 is easy to get but a lot more expensive. Now I'm wondering if I should just go with the N1 so that the timing belt can get swapped before something bad happens (probably not but I don't want to take the risk given my car's lack of records) or keep trying to find a regular water pump (everyone says it's on backorder for possibly a month or more at the US shops I've talked to).

Opinions?

Thanks in advance for your input.

the n1 does not flow as well during daily driving, so hot days in traffic its not the best.
the N1 pump was designed to have less cavitation at high rpm which is where the N1 was supposed to live (track)
it works well for allot of people but is not ideal and unless you going to belt the thing its defiantly not worth the extra coin, especially when driven normally.

however if they cannot get a gen pump then you might have no choice.

edit, talk to kudos motorsport and see if they can ship one out to you. probably still end up cheaper and they have them in stock, aswell as the rest of the 100,000k service kit (>$400)

Edited by GH05T

the n1 does not flow as well during daily driving, so hot days in traffic its not the best.

the N1 pump was designed to have less cavitation at high rpm which is where the N1 was supposed to live (track)

it works well for allot of people but is not ideal and unless you going to belt the thing its defiantly not worth the extra coin, especially when driven normally.

however if they cannot get a gen pump then you might have no choice.

edit, talk to kudos motorsport and see if they can ship one out to you. probably still end up cheaper and they have them in stock, aswell as the rest of the 100,000k service kit (>$400)

That's what I recall reading - that the N1 is meant for high-rpm running and since I prefer to take my other (newer) cars to the track my R32 will go to a trackday maybe once in a year if at all. Seems not that sensible to go with the N1 then especially since I live in a part of Arizona where it gets biblically hot in the summer. I just ordered an AC actuator from Kudos last week and they shipped out fast so I might go that route with getting a regular pump if I don't get one from a Japanese supplier.

Buy one via rhdjapan/amayama/partsouq?

I was planning on ordering some stuff from Amayama soon so I'll probably go that route if no US shop has one still by the weekend. It'll take longer than I wanted but at this point I could be waiting forever for a US shop to get one.

Thanks for the replies guys.

It gets hot where I live too (Western Australia). I run an N1 pump and have never had an issue with my GTR overheating in traffic or idling at the track or at any other time. The N1 works fine. Just get one and save yourself the messing about trying to find a stock one.

Also - a general comment - save yourself endless frustration by ignoring keyboardists who cant differentiate between something being different and something being inadequate. Sometimes different is just different.

different yes, the difference is well documented though, they do have different preferred applications, when the application stated points towards the stock pump, why pay a substantial amount more for the alternative?
the n1 pump is not an upgrade, it is a different impeller fin design which preferences high rpm and compromises low.

yes an N1 pump can work without issue, but there is no point pretending its worth spending more on, especially if the issue (being unavailability) can be worked around.

Edited by GH05T
  • Like 1

The ATI 1000hp balancer kit that I have came with an oversized (under drive) pulley for the water pump, which when used with an N1 pump is borderline for street use.

I believe ATI's gearing ratios are meant for a stock pump. And the N1 pump would be a good match for stock balancer and pulley sizes.

I sat my N1 water pump next to my stock R34 GTR pump and the water pump off the RB30 and the only difference between the 3 is the cavitation plate on the N1, all 3 have the same number of fins, same size of fins and same shape fins so how exactly does the N1 flow less ?

The last stock R34 pump I saw had 8 blades and no plate.

The N1 was 6 blades with a plate.

Can't remember the last RB30 I looked at before it went in the bin.

Edited by GTRNUR

Kudosmotorsports.com $385 (AUD) 100k service kit - OEM

You can if you wish select a different water pump and/or timing belt.

Obviously the price goes up if you choose non OEM kit

The factory pump off my 2001 R34 GTR V spec II

post-36620-0-68150000-1430990018_thumb.jpg

I binned the RB30 one with everything else that was attached to the part i wanted :), but it was exactly the same as this, i know this cause i put all 3 side by side due to this same discussion which has been had many times

Depends on how long it is sitting around waiting for parts.

As the N1 is still fine for a road driven car I would just pay the money and get on with life. But each top their own.

The car runs fine and isn't sitting around at all. I just don't want to wait too long to get the timing belt changed since I don't know for sure when it was last swapped but I am willing to wait a little longer if a part is theoretically more suited to my needs. Also, my car has a standard block instead of an N1 block so my understanding is the N1 pump wouldn't be a direct fit and would need some minor modification due to one different mounting hole - that's another reason why I was hoping to get a stock pump instead of the N1.

Kudosmotorsports.com $385 (AUD) 100k service kit - OEM

You can if you wish select a different water pump and/or timing belt.

Obviously the price goes up if you choose non OEM kit

I already have the timing belt and pulleys for the swap. It's only the water pump that's been giving me headaches as far as getting one. I thought I had one arranged after buying it off eBay from a dealer in California that posted they had two in stock - of course, as soon as I paid for it they emailed me that they had "just run out". Jerks.

Edited by GSX-R35

I ended up getting the pump from Kudos. Amayama had it listed for cheaper coming from the UAE but it was out of stock there, and their price for one from Japan was oddly more expensive than the price from Kudos even factoring in shipping.

Kudos shipped out the replacement vent actuator I ordered from them a couple of weeks ago pretty quick and it was in my hands in about 10 days so I'm hoping it'll be as fast this time and I can get this service out of the way soon.

• Like 1

The car runs fine and isn't sitting around at all. I just don't want to wait too long to get the timing belt changed since I don't know for sure when it was last swapped but I am willing to wait a little longer if a part is theoretically more suited to my needs. Also, my car has a standard block instead of an N1 block so my understanding is the N1 pump wouldn't be a direct fit and would need some minor modification due to one different mounting hole - that's another reason why I was hoping to get a stock pump instead of the N1.

Not sure where you got that from.

Not sure where you got that from.

Seems pretty well documented - here's just a couple of links but I've seen plenty more:

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2008/12/rb26dett-water-pump-n1-vs-stock.html

Sean imports R32s here to the US, owns a Nismo, and has crew chiefed on an R34 in Speed World Challenge so he knows his stuff.

Also here:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/153515-n1-water-pump-leak-issue-prefered-remedy.html