SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

there are jobs, most have specific skill sets. So at a minimum for a decent research position you would want/need honours or masters or tie it to a PhD study.

Research assistant is starting point and you need to have something to say you're experienced in its area of study or else why would they pick you? $40-65k depending on field, location, responsibility, lab level etc.

Head of lab or head of a program or something pays better, you'd need some solid experience (multiple years studying/researching area of expertise)

Top dog is you somehow become a national/world leader in development/study of your field. Pay is pretty good, usually based at a university. get flown round the world for conferences, get on TV for 20sec interview if you're special or make a break-through etc.

Problem is most research contracts are 6-12months. so much depends on funding. a lot of maternity leave contracts, but then back to square one when you're done.

My mrs wants to get back into research and has been looking for a job in melb for almost 12 months. A bit around in Sydney. My sister went into genetics instead, specifically IVF. Science degree, 2 diplomas and $75,00 in HECS later and shes doing alright. Not a huge selection of places to work, but once you've got your foot in the door... (pretty much sums up science)

...or do what 70% of science students do: become a lecturer, teacher, lab tech or assistant in a different field (petrochem, food, medical testing etc)

Wow $75K in HECS

Whilst on the topic of Salaries.

For a Grad tax Accountant its about $40k + super

My boss said if you get 3 people jump in front of you you get retired?

Not true, my uncle hit 7 before going out on stress leave. Perhaps the long haul freight train drivers are a harder breed? Either way, not something I would like to deal with.

I don't think it would bother me that much, do you have to stop and clean it or you just kind of keep going? it was their choice..

That being said probably wouldn't really know until you did it I guess.

call it in *we got another* and on your way?

Edited by UNR33L

I don't think it would bother me that much, do you have to stop and clean it or you just kind of keep going? it was their choice..

That being said probably wouldn't really know until you did it I guess.

call it in *we got another* and on your way?

This is pretty much my view; I'm fairly black and white about suicide.

If someone has gone ahead and done it already there's nothing you can to stop it and if not your train then someone else's, or the Bolte bridge. Probably where it affects them though is seeing death take place first hand - can be pretty confronting. I knew a guy who was physically pretty tough - never has anesthesia for stitches etc.; had his wisdom tooth pulled out without any anesthesia. One day he saw a guy walk in front of a train one day and now if he sees images of the human brain exposed it makes him throw up / almost faint.

Road trauma dude also told me you never completely get used to mangled bodies, just better at handling it / blocking it out.

Leesh heard of teach for australia program? Mrs is finishing off her science degree and applying for it, apparently they onboard heaps of people with different degrees and pay them as graduate teachers for 2 years (they get a masters of teaching afterward) then can choose whether to continue teaching or what evs, go into their industry etc.

Was a bit strange as she told me she doesn't want to teach when talking about career paths 3 months ago.. nek minit wants to teach now

No haven't heard of it, but it's shit like this that continues Australia's downward education spiral.

Being a SES volunteer member and attending a few train suicides. It's an ugly scene, they literally go splat and spread over 100m down the track.

If you weren't told it's a human, you wouldn't have known because you certainly can't recognise anything. The undertakers walk around with a bucket and plastic gloves just picking up the parts into a bucket....

• Like 1

No haven't heard of it, but it's shit like this that continues Australia's downward education spiral.

Really? If anything forcing people to do a bachelor's of teaching doesn't weed out as many ninkumpoops as normal process.

And I'd be a little worried if people who hadn't studied science were teaching VCE level chem or physics.

A lady I know did bachelor of teaching and education, her son did a degree then dip ed (philosophy and history) and she was annoyed he got a lot more practical experience than she did

Anyone know what the Nissan idx will retail for and whether manual will be available?

More than you can afford pal; Liberal

Anyone know what the Nissan idx will retail for and whether manual will be available?

you mean the car that was cancelled...

I was hanging out waiting to order it but it is not to be.