SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Really? If anything forcing people to do a bachelor's of teaching doesn't weed out as many ninkumpoops as normal process.

And I'd be a little worried if people who hadn't studied science were teaching VCE level chem or physics.

A lady I know did bachelor of teaching and education, her son did a degree then dip ed (philosophy and history) and she was annoyed he got a lot more practical experience than she did

Sorry, but you can not effectively learn curriculum implementation, planning, assessing and evaluation, data analysis for forward planning, teaching method and strategies, behaviour management methods and strategies, and student welfare information in two years.

Sorry, but you can not effectively learn curriculum implementation, planning, assessing and evaluation, data analysis for forward planning, teaching method and strategies, behaviour management methods and strategies, and student welfare information in two years.

This.

Not a chance you need a whole 2 years to learn how to be a teacher.

How long can it possibly take to learn how to regurgitate the same lessons, finish at 3 every day and then have 4 months holidays every year on full pay?

• Like 1

one thing i really hated about school was the teachers who hadnt done further studies in the class they taught (mainly science, but also some maths). you would ask curious questions about what you were learning that werent on the curriculum and some teachers couldnt answer them because "its not required therefore we dont teach it" (aka I dont know) but then the good teachers would know, and give examples of practical applications of what you were learning.

/rant.

not saying teaching isnt hard *cough* Hamish, i certainly wouldnt want to do it. but TAFE has some great teachers (and some f**king duds too) but mainly due to their knowledge and outside world experience.

This.

Not a chance you need a whole 2 years to learn how to be a teacher.

How long can it possibly take to learn how to regurgitate the same lessons, finish at 3 every day and then have 4 months holidays every year on full pay?

Very ignorant for someone who has children

In 10 years of teaching I've never taught the same lesson twice unless it's cross setting or finished at 3pm

So some kids learn one thing and others learn something else?

• Like 2

So some kids learn one thing and others learn something else?

Of course, the curriculum is different for every year level and every school has different priorities for learning area topics and different whole school methods of teaching the curriculum. Methods also need to be adapted depending on the students, and how they learn best. I may have taught inquiry process in the past, but if the students aren't ready then I have to adapt. Schools also have different prescribed resources for teaching Learning Areas. For example I'm teaching chemical science this year in grade 3, whereas last year I taught life and living in grade 3. Good teachers also differentiate the curriculum to suit students learning needs. For example I can't effectively teach a lesson on three letter digraphs to a student, when the child can't identity two letter digraphs...even if the curriculum is dictating that, and three letter digraphs is what I've taught in the past. Lessons always need to be adapted for students, depending on their academic ability, prior knowledge and socio economic status. For example my history lessons on Aboriginal culture this year are very different when teaching to kids at East Doncaster than they were teaching to kids in Bunbury. Same topic, utilising the same resources, but completely different lessons to accommodate the students prior knowledge and experiences. Edited by L33SH

one thing i really hated about school was the teachers who hadnt done further studies in the class they taught (mainly science, but also some maths). you would ask curious questions about what you were learning that werent on the curriculum and some teachers couldnt answer them because "its not required therefore we dont teach it" (aka I dont know) but then the good teachers would know, and give examples of practical applications of what you were learning.

/rant.

not saying teaching isnt hard *cough* Hamish, i certainly wouldnt want to do it. but TAFE has some great teachers (and some f**king duds too) but mainly due to their knowledge and outside world experience.

Undeniably you'll find good teachers anywhere regardless of their study, as the most important thing above all is going to be their personality and dedication to their job, like any other industry and this can sometimes overcome shortcomings in ability. But second to that is the skillset needed to transfer knowledge, not just knowledge of the subject matter. If subject matter knowledge was all you needed to teach then we'd all be qualified to teach/train in our respective fields one way or another or you could simply read a book and regurgitate it. What the bachelor's sets you up with is a much more in depth skillset for teaching than the diploma or any other process for it.

Also teaching is far removed from what it was when we were at school. Whole different ball game with technology, new age shit, seemingly more autistic kids and the inability to properly discipline kids who've never had a smack in their lives from their parents. I remember in high school having some teachers who would literally put up projector slides of notes and make you write them down and that was your lesson lol - no way you could get away with that now.

Maybe I should go do a teaching degree and teach train drivers and earn $290k a year.

M8 do you even have experience pushing a couple of buttons and no steering wheel in a largely automated system

• Like 1