SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Like I said

I don't know how FI or anyone else could improve that in a justifiably more expensive way

It comes down to the detail. If you are happy with 80% then that's your personal choice. You could argue the same with fakes, copies, homebrand label etc. They all serve the same purpose.

I can see paint marring and orange peel but if you can't then all better (and cheaper) for you.

It comes down to the detail. If you are happy with 80% then that's your personal choice. You could argue the same with fakes, copies, homebrand label etc. They all serve the same purpose.

I can see paint marring and orange peel but if you can't then all better (and cheaper) for you.

It's more like being happy with 99% IMO

I've seen guys go nuts on detailing, 30 page forum threads of the process, every square inch gone over with the paint depth tools and microscopes, they usually have some severe OCD going on and have their eyeballs to the paint for imperfections. Fine if your car is never driven, ever, but how many cars can claim that? Truthfully, from 30cm+ where you and most people see it, and where my mirror shine phone photo was taken from, you can't see the paint past the shine to spot imperfection. Actually IMO my photo is more of a mirror than the others granted it's a sharp angle.

Where I don't think 100% is worth it, is that no more than a week after chasing and obtaining perfection and paying a small fortune for it, rain or a bird or some dick or some stone chips will come along and fk up 100% and bring you back somewhere around 90% anyway! Shit I get angry at this on my home detail job let alone spending money :/

• Like 1

It's more like being happy with 99% IMO

I've seen guys go nuts on detailing, 30 page forum threads of the process, every square inch gone over with the paint depth tools and microscopes, they usually have some severe OCD going on and have their eyeballs to the paint for imperfections. Fine if your car is never driven, ever, but how many cars can claim that? Truthfully, from 30cm+ where you and most people see it, and where my mirror shine phone photo was taken from, you can't see the paint past the shine to spot imperfection. Actually IMO my photo is more of a mirror than the others granted it's a sharp angle.

Where I don't think 100% is worth it, is that no more than a week after chasing and obtaining perfection and paying a small fortune for it, rain or a bird or some dick or some stone chips will come along and fk up 100% and bring you back somewhere around 90% anyway! Shit I get angry at this on my home detail job let alone spending money :/

Except I'm talking about a $35 FI bottle rather than a $15 turtle wax. All this hating over $20?

You may find the detail service a rip-off but the chemicals & accessories are a different story.

Isn't your entire roof f**ked and covered with carbon fibre vinyl Pat?

Lol just sayin

Nothing wrong with a CF vinyl roof and mirror finish panels.

Don't see how a bit of clear coat oxidisation on the roof means the rest of the car needs to look shit, especially if rest has been recently resprayed by micolour.

What's your point?

My photo is only lacking in vibrant colours, obvious by the low level of saturation in the nature strip colours - something you can put down to the camera taking the photo and the scene/setting. It looks like Paul's shot is a long exposure (possibly edited in post) which adds depth and vibrancy to a shine.

But I really don't see how you can improve upon what is effectively a mirror shine from this angle anyway. In my pic you can't see where sky starts and the car finishes, save for the door jam gap. If that's not 1% difference to the shine in Paul's, you'll need to point out to me where, from these pics the rest of the difference is. Driving on the road too, no one will be able to tell you which one was clearly done by professionals and that's where 99% is good enough.

Also congrats to Paul for nearly making it out of the garage with the evo! :cheers:

Find it funny that you were clearly proud enough of your work to take a photo but if anyone creates a brighter & sharper reflection/shine then it's clearly 1% OCD/waste of effort.

(For arguments sake - look at the colour difference of the brick fence and sharpness of the pole/trees - whereas Pauls reflection of the ground and the orange matches like for like - both sharpness and colour. It may look trivial in a photo but the difference is clearly noticeable in person)

Somehow sounds a bit tall poppy syndrome & although yours came out well some people do admire the extra level.

We discuss in these forums the difference between 10yr/12yr Whisky, 36hr/72hr ribs, crystal vs Versace, yet everyone loses their minds over turtlewax/FI.

I guess when you polish your own car & spend all the effort, cost & time no one wants to be one-up'd as its seen as your personal accomplishment & pride being challenged.

Either way, my photo was posted to create hate and it has clearly done so. Looking forward to using all my new products. Least I know that by putting in the same amount of effort and time I will get a much better result. :)