SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Nothing wrong with a CF vinyl roof and mirror finish panels.

Don't see how a bit of clear coat oxidisation on the roof means the rest of the car needs to look shit, especially if rest has been recently resprayed by micolour.

What's your point?

Point is maybe direct $ to painting the roof before detailing the shit out of the remainder, given I thought the vinyl thing was only an interim solution

• Like 2

Point is maybe direct $ to painting the roof before detailing the shit out of the remainder, given I thought the vinyl thing was only an interim solution

Difference is I can paint correct the whole car for 5% of the cost of a full respray & the vinyl can save me spending the other 95%.

Find it funny that you were clearly proud enough of your work to take a photo but if anyone creates a brighter & sharper reflection/shine then it's clearly 1% OCD/waste of effort.

(For arguments sake - look at the colour difference of the brick fence and sharpness of the pole/trees - whereas Pauls reflection of the ground and the orange matches like for like - both sharpness and colour. It may look trivial in a photo but the difference is clearly noticeable in person)

Somehow sounds a bit tall poppy syndrome & although yours came out well some people do admire the extra level.

We discuss in these forums the difference between 10yr/12yr Whisky, 36hr/72hr ribs, crystal vs Versace, yet everyone loses their minds over turtlewax/FI.

I guess when you polish your own car & spend all the effort, cost & time no one wants to be one-up'd as its seen as your personal accomplishment & pride being challenged.

Either way, my photo was posted to create hate and it has clearly done so. Looking forward to using all my new products. Least I know that by putting in the same amount of effort and time I will get a much better result. :)

It's not OCD or an extra level, it's a totally different photo mate. You're comparing a long exposure shot - probably taken on a dslr - to a phone photo. The photograph looks better but the shine doesn't. You can achieve that with my wax shine in the same conditions and the colours will be just as vibrant. Objects in Paul's reflection actually look distorted in shape so I dunno where the sharpness comes into it.

My photo wasn't about pride either, it was about the products - simple point being made here - you can get 99% with shit from a supermarket!

1613850_10153370112175547_89512788708234

1452918833.3328.iPicit.jpg

Its all in the lighting ;)

And cameras with good contrast setting make huge differences.

Samsungs phones are good at this.

The right lighting can make an undetailed car look amazing, and a freshly polished car look dull.. Alot of jobs I did looked dull because of the lighting on the day.. Having a garage with controlled lighting makes a massive difference..

Alot of newer products have a much crisper glassy style finish too, thats what the kids are into these days...

As opposed to old fashioned carnuba style waxes like yours that have a softer warm glow...

And modern paint finishes are glossier as well, 90s cars aren't that great..

Basically comparing these 2 photos, is comparing apples to oranges.. Pointless..lol

Edited by ARTZ

Used to use Armorall heavy duty green shit and a $7 paste wax for this

1452918833.3328.iPicit.jpg

I don't know how FI or anyone else could improve that in a justifiably more expensive way

inb4 remove the D1Rs

To be fair that finish is everything to do with my polishing job (that i did for a bottle of whiskey) and nothing to do with whatever ever cheap crap wax it was you put on it.... Edited by ARTZ
  • Like 1

This, this and this.

Also Mick only uses morning fresh

Morning fresh is great stuff..

Its even better when you mix it with a proper quality dedicated car wash soap, one that wont strip your waxes or dry out your rubbers..

Never take a painters advice on detailing, they like having excuses to respray everything..

• Like 1

To be fair that finish is everything to do with my polishing job (that i did for a bottle of whiskey) and nothing to do with whatever ever cheap crap wax it was you put on it....

No ones discounting your polishing (pic below was pre-wax), but waxes deepen the shine; you saw the diff once it had it on there

1453064698.7595.iPicit.jpg

Didn't I give you money too lol, cheap labour