SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Urgh, no temp gauge, changed sender still no gauge, but it goes up when i earth it out

Rb25 r32

Update

Ok so i fkd up

I realized the female fitting that plugs into the sender was broken

Crimped a new one on.. Fixed! :)

On a side note, how do I change my name

The unbelievably egocentric ramblings of paranoid schizophrenics / conspiracy theorists

The gen y ones worry about identity theft, fraud and framing by having someone's name...brb guys posting my photos from my vacation to Instagram and FB for all to see along with some visual identifiers of where and how I live.

the whole wikileaks thing i guess has a lot of people spooked. the whole data collection thing. but they can do that without a census.

what I dont get is how that information would be useful to anyone other than statisticians and marketing firms. All of whom would use that info for what purpose? anything beyond knocking on your front door is illegal. and you're going to get charities/real estate agents/politicians/salespeople knocking on your door knowing your address and possibly name anyway.

oh no someone will see what my income is! just like my payslip displays. and group certificates. and ATO info. wait, lemme just fill this survey for Uni of NSW looking into eating habits which includes my age group, income bracket, postcode, brief medical history.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Birds said:

The unbelievably egocentric ramblings of paranoid schizophrenics / conspiracy theorists

The gen y ones worry about identity theft, fraud and framing by having someone's name...brb guys posting my photos from my vacation to Instagram and FB for all to see along with some visual identifiers of where and how I live.

there is much more than just name involved here however.

names, address, salary, birth dates so on..

the info they are collecting could be used for quite a bit.

Seeing on Facebook that you were a rebel and got a Tiger beer singlet not a Bintang one is not really identity theft.

4 minutes ago, emts said:

there is much more than just name involved here however.

names, address, salary, birth dates so on..

the info they are collecting could be used for quite a bit.

Seeing on Facebook that you were a rebel and got a Tiger beer singlet not a Bintang one is not really identity theft.

You mean the stuff tied to your tax file number, bank accounts, Medicare etc. Info the evil government organisations already have?

There is arguably infinitely more danger available from exposing strangers to your social media profiles than data collected by government organisations.

Tracking cookies for google ads etc. are more intrusive and most users happily live with them.

yes but I also know the effort Tax office puts into securing data.,

and Know that ABS does not put in same effort.

Short of it is a census form has all the details I need to apply and get a short term loan, Credit card in your name.

having access to your Instagram of funky coffees does not do that.

Biggest issue with un savory people and Social media is knowing when are away for theft and they can target things.

(yes I am glossing over the whole grooming/catfish/ such as not relevant to this convo)

17 minutes ago, emts said:

(yes I am glossing over the whole grooming/catfish/ such as not relevant to this convo)

I first met Mohsen online, back when he was 19/F/SoCal... so the catfish risk is still as relevant as ever.
He still won't give me back the money that I paid him to fly over here to meet me.

Baited me by saying he had a quick 32 with an RB26, but I'm still yet to see any proof of this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emts said:

yes but I also know the effort Tax office puts into securing data.,

and Know that ABS does not put in same effort.

Short of it is a census form has all the details I need to apply and get a short term loan, Credit card in your name.

having access to your Instagram of funky coffees does not do that.

Biggest issue with un savory people and Social media is knowing when are away for theft and they can target things.

All the other organisations and bodies have those details too and to my knowledge census has had no breaches of personal information security, so I don't think it's a relevant concern as their protocols are obviously working. I'm pretty sure the uproar is over them retaining name for 4 years instead of 18 months anyway.

Social media can be used for evidence by courts and forced to hand over information in police investigations - ABS can't. I also think you're giving too little credit to how powerful social media can be for finding out information through logical deduction. I've used it to track down people who owe money and the sheriff and myself were astounded myself at how much I could find out by plotting it out CSI style. Trawl through someone's public FB or insta or twitter, you'll find their full name and date of birth which is usually enough to bypass most third party account holder security checks. From there you can have their more clumsy staff disclose addresses, phone numbers etc.

Put it this way: you start with census and I'll start with social media and we'll see who can obtain more details about someone...and I'm not talking their latte preference!

I think there is a lot more data breaches than you realize. Even in AU gov, 

Unfortunately Au don't have mandatory disclosure laws like US do.

(there if you data is hacked the company has to provide you with credit monitoring for a period of years)

It does usually end up with a call to us to make sure it does not happen again however.

if it does make it to the press we just get the call even sooner.

anyhow I'll leave your anti social media paranoia and will get back to actually securing your data. 

lol I'm not paranoid about social media, just not egocentric enough to assume someone would want information on me...but if they did...good luck.

Happy census filling!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Birds said:

All the other organisations and bodies have those details too and to my knowledge census has had no breaches of personal information security, so I don't think it's a relevant concern as their protocols are obviously working. I'm pretty sure the uproar is over them retaining name for 4 years instead of 18 months anyway.

Put it this way: you start with census and I'll start with social media and we'll see who can obtain more details about someone...and I'm not talking their latte preference!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jul/29/australian-bureau-of-statistics-reports-14-data-breaches-since-2013
Hacked 14 times in 3 years... okay den..

Bro, try again. There ain't no way you're getting more information from 90% of social media accounts than you can from the Cencus.. And besides, you're looking for the information CONTAINED within the cencus, ON social media. So you lose this bet anyway. 

31 minutes ago, Borci88 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jul/29/australian-bureau-of-statistics-reports-14-data-breaches-since-2013
Hacked 14 times in 3 years... okay den..

Bro, try again. There ain't no way you're getting more information from 90% of social media accounts than you can from the Cencus.. And besides, you're looking for the information CONTAINED within the cencus, ON social media. So you lose this bet anyway. 

It's very simple borci...

Pick a random person - see who can find more info about them - you using census (you have to hack it first) or I using social media kgo

Understand yet?

• Like 1