SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

1 hour ago, blah_blah said:

Those who have brought aftermarket diff's Kaaz or Nismo

Where did you guys end up sourcing it from?

Nismo cheapest i can find is RHDjapan

Kaaz only from MD spares in Aus

weld the f**k out of it

Moh how long you going to USA for?

have you got a "Don't shoot I'm not black" tshirt

if there on the 9th Nov remember to have a oh crap Trump got in/didn't get in anti riot kit.

If I was a visitor there not sure which would be worse, trump supporters celebrating or protesting..either thing will involve guns.

I got my KAAZ centre from eBay

Such a beautifully predictable diff

Speaking of, aside from the loud road noise, I can't speak highly enough of the Federal RS-RRs as a bargain tyre. They are definitely soft; already got some burnt rubber near the edge of the side walls after some spirited laps through the mountains, but the grip on hand from a $180 tyre even on the smaller 245 tread is sensational. Left a knee down 600cc bike for dead on Sat...he wasn't slow! Really like to try these at the track.

• Like 1

Talking to richo he agreed...untill you some proper heat cycles then they go off, just like the old ones.

SO great for street as they don't get to track temps. but not so good.

what they have been testing out on the BMW was the nagkang NS-2R and having great results at 140 a tyre, (think R888 quality not A050)

http://nankangtyres.com.au/tyre/ns-2r/

going to grab some when back on track.

23 minutes ago, emts said:

Talking to richo he agreed...untill you some proper heat cycles then they go off, just like the old ones.

SO great for street as they don't get to track temps. but not so good.

what they have been testing out on the BMW was the nagkang NS-2R and having great results at 140 a tyre, (think R888 quality not A050)

http://nankangtyres.com.au/tyre/ns-2r/

going to grab some when back on track.

Might try them next, particularly if they are quieter than the Federals, but I think at beginner speeds/laps I wouldn't be unhappy if these only lasted me a couple of track days and 5000-10,000km of street driving. We shall see.

Also loving my Shockworks coilovers, which in spite of feeling firmer, dispense bumps in the road much more predictably than my previous setup when pushing it.

1 hour ago, Birds said:

I got my KAAZ centre from eBay

Such a beautifully predictable diff

Speaking of, aside from the loud road noise, I can't speak highly enough of the Federal RS-RRs as a bargain tyre. They are definitely soft; already got some burnt rubber near the edge of the side walls after some spirited laps through the mountains, but the grip on hand from a $180 tyre even on the smaller 245 tread is sensational. Left a knee down 600cc bike for dead on Sat...he wasn't slow! Really like to try these at the track.

$1.4k off ebay for a Kaaz

$1.1k for a nismo from japan + shipping + GST

I remember Kaaz used to be a fair bit cheaper

13 minutes ago, blah_blah said:

$1.4k off ebay for a Kaaz

$1.1k for a nismo from japan + shipping + GST

I remember Kaaz used to be a fair bit cheaper

I paid about 950 from memory, perhaps 6 years ago? That was a trade price, from Jackie Chan / CP motor or whatever, and for the 1.5 way.

I've heard nismo and KAAZ are much the same centre. Perhaps as KAAZ built a name for themselves, like Kumho tyres they got more expensive?

17 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Try Jesse Streeter

Yeah about $1.3k through Jesse for a Nismo

27 minutes ago, Birds said:

I paid about 950 from memory, perhaps 6 years ago? That was a trade price, from Jackie Chan / CP motor or whatever, and for the 1.5 way.

I've heard nismo and KAAZ are much the same centre. Perhaps as KAAZ built a name for themselves, like Kumho tyres they got more expensive?

You work for a place that rebuilds stuff like diffs right? Same same to repair a kaaz and nismo? Heard sourcing and replacing parts for Kaaz would be alot easier

2 hours ago, emts said:

Moh how long you going to USA for?

have you got a "Don't shoot I'm not black" tshirt

if there on the 9th Nov remember to have a oh crap Trump got in/didn't get in anti riot kit.

If I was a visitor there not sure which would be worse, trump supporters celebrating or protesting..either thing will involve guns.

ill be leaving the US on the 10th lol

48 minutes ago, blah_blah said:

Yeah about $1.3k through Jesse for a Nismo

You work for a place that rebuilds stuff like diffs right? Same same to repair a kaaz and nismo? Heard sourcing and replacing parts for Kaaz would be alot easier

Used to...we didn't do many rebuilds of clutch pack LSDs, just your average Commy/Falcon shim job. If you're talking clutch packs then the KAAZ should be cheaper to source parts for. Again, they may use the same parts as the Nismo? They last a long time though. No rebuild for me yet; I do change the diff oil often though (every 10,000km or so).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, UNR33L said:

nah m8 ford 9inch diff m8

Used to do a lot of these conversions

We had bolt on solutions at one stage, axles disc brakes calipers and all. Just unbolt the rear and install.