SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Hilarious watching a car get towed last night.

Guy had parked in an intersection blocking a lane in the street

tow truck rucks up starts to load up, guy runs out of restaurant abusing him, 

tow truck driver ignores, wife comes out and says we have a kid you cannot tow the car.

tow trust driver ignores, husband wife and kid get in car, tow truck driver drives off with them in the car.

Guess easier than having to find the impound lot.

#asianlife

• Like 1

You defeat the point of going to E85 if your setup on 98 sends you wheelspinning / blowing engines already. Use the fuel to make an already well setup vehicle even better. You can't polish a turd, even with alcohol.

• Like 1

How much were those CUB blokes getting paid anyway? 65% is a fair chunk of a cut. Do they actually have skills or could anyone do it?
Loled @ the protest video, clearly they're outraged Malloo driving bogans, yes I'm jelly 
Also, RIP 88e? 

So a quick google confirms they have been offered a base wage of $19.50/h (50c above award) with all overtime and penalties still on the table.
considering they are calling this a 65% pay cut that means they had to have previously been on $55 per hour base + all penalties/overtime.
Cry me a f**king river and bring me a delicious VB

5 hours ago, Birds said:

You defeat the point of going to E85 if your setup on 98 sends you wheelspinning / blowing engines already. Use the fuel to make an already well setup vehicle even better. You can't polish a turd, even with alcohol.

I'd argue that there's little point for E85 on a RB other than making a 98 tune safer through less pinging. I guess I've learned for everyone that no matter what you can throw nearly anything at the cylinder and it will take it like a champ, until the next weakest part is the block crying for mercy over cylinder pressure+heat+mixture of both, or something like that.

Note: Turbo has gate on housing, not on the manifold.

But yeah, safe to say it's planning on being dialled back a significant amount, and any unique "Greg things" are pretty much going in the bin in favour of tried and true solutions. Always was looking out for the common problem just would be nice if it wasn't the block cracking. Guess that's what happens if everything else has been somewhat sorted.

+1 for the whole "Get an EGT gauge" crowd I suppose.

Huh? I gained 40rwkw in my midrange and 20rwkw in my top end that even a dangerous 98 tune wasn't going to give me.

It's +1 for the Z32/PFC/555s/040/Highflow crowd dude...there's good reason so many do it and don't bother going further. Amazing engines but even without your bad luck they have their limitations. And I've said it time and time again; unless you're running Mickey Thompsons you're not getting anything more than 320rwkw to grip the first 2-3 gears in a RWD Skyline. Wasted power and unnecessary lag.

Huh? I gained 40rwkw in my midrange and 20rwkw in my top end that even a dangerous 98 tune wasn't going to give me.
It's +1 for the Z32/PFC/555s/040/Highflow crowd dude...there's good reason so many do it and don't bother going further. Amazing engines but even without your bad luck they have their limitations. And I've said it time and time again; unless you're running Mickey Thompsons you're not getting anything more than 320rwkw to grip the first 2-3 gears in a RWD Skyline. Wasted power and unnecessary lag.

This x 11ty

285rwkw to 325rwkw
Same dyno, same day

That's a 14% increase for nothing and sitting on the limit of what's really useable in a 1400kg RWD Street car

Where you went wrong is building an RB in the first place. You could have had a reliable 300rwkw for the last 6 odd years on a stock block for next to nothing... But you chose to go full retard

London rallied up 12% lastnight

Not sure if recovery from their 7% drop the other night or some sort of push

Should be a positive day for us in Aus

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Birds said:

Pretty true for a streeter, as you know I thought about going nuts on mine but after doing the math ~$7k or so later yeah it would be awesome having like 450rwkw but already struggle to get anything down on the street from 1st / 2nd gear. 2nd goes alright if tyres are warmed but more often than not you give old mate a run out of the blue with cold ass tyres and just fry them up. The only reason I'd do the work is if I wanted to track it, dat no intercooler life

The money could be spent on the house or a motorbike instead :P Also loving how GS's are staying constant at ~40k now

10 hours ago, Birds said:

This is actually the plan and what I have recommended to many people in the many years I've had problems actually. I would wager the difference in the tune you (and Hamish) had on 98 and E85 wasn't too major (i.e it probably was not running 12 degrees more timing and 10psi more boost) because the E85 can take it but something else, unknown to you yet can't.

Like say, the block in my case, or cylinder pressure, or heat, or all of the above.

I feel if you picked up 80rwkw and 120kw in your top end from just running E85 then more people would run into problems, especially when it looks perfect on a dyno, etc. It may be a bigger issue for people in the future as there's turbos out there in the wild that can handle high pressure (GTX) and big injectors and fuel pumps are easily available. They weren't in the past, there was always some restriction (Z32, PFC, 555's, 040, Highflow) looks different to (MAP, Haltech, 2000's, Walbro 416, GTX)

But like you said, and even I've said that about 320kw is where you want to stay in a RWD Skyline, mainly because after that:
1) Engine rebuild become more likely
2) Grip starts becoming an issue for any kind of road tyre
3) Gearboxes start exploding
4) Clutches and such start becoming scarce, hard to drive, find, etc

I don't think I've really been overly unlucky, I've just done things based on info here, and what should "be fine"... and freely share the info so hopefully others can not have sadness with their own car adventures

2 minutes ago, blah_blah said:

380rwkw Traction in 2nd and 3rd gear no sideways crew checking in

*disclaimer dry day and reasonably flat road

Disclaimer chequered tuning?

I kinda wanted an OBD2 port scanning gauge setup to just show me current intake temp, makes all the difference on mine cbf spending $300 on something that looks tacky though :\ Dat no intercooler heatsoak, "lets race mate" "nah mate let me just keep rolling here for another 300 meters" "60c, perfect" :)

Probably heat soaked / cold the difference of roller / hub dyno

Edited by UNR33L