SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

2 hours ago, Steve85 said:

I was under the impression ssd and ram were physically similar in construction. Im going to assume i am incorrect from your response... :)

same as a Hyundai and a Ferrari are both cars...one is just a bit faster than the other.

Stats a couple years old but shoud be similar:

Read 1 MB sequentially from RAM     250,000   ns   
Read 1 MB sequentially from SSD     1,000,000   ns   
Read 1 MB sequentially from disk    20,000,000   ns 

so 4x slower. 

Ah thanks for that. Makes it a little clearer. Sometimes I oversimplify things in my mind (a lot if i'm completely honest).

And yep. I was thinking that they may have cut the RAM out completely. So in a way we are thinking the same thing, only you call it RAM i'm calling HD. 

In my mind it would simplify the mb design by removing the entire RAM connectors and the circuits to each... I would have expected this would also improve the access to the HD as it wouldn't sit behind the RAM for access. 

@emts, you don't hang around clifton hill / alphington at all do you?

I saw a red 66 just the other night while i was out for a walk.

The bloke came out and jumped into it as well so I got a look into the car.  It looked mint. 

so the other big diffrence is if RAM looses power it is wiped, SSD/HDD natrually do not.

So to get the speeds of RAM for storage you would need power at all times eg a battery back-up for the drive.

battery goes flat all storage is lost.

2 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

Am i the only one who thinks the Gti and R look soooo boring? It just seems like something an accountant who likes cars would buy.

Guy i bought my S14 off had just bought a Gti  and was an accountant.  so I'm going to go with yes.

these and the new Audi/MB with the fake back fire are my current list of annoying cars.