SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Jesus! That 32R is ruined! Body looked destroyed and 245 000 kms? Jesus, damn thing has been to the moon and back (ok no quite, but it has gone a crazy long way). If that car were mine, i'd be looking to part it out. 

Still that that 33R will sell in the range of 40k (i think). Which given it's a high km car is still a considerable amount.

55k? No i don't think so. And this whole having two gauge clusters is a pain in the backside. In the end of my search, anyone who wasn't 100% clear on the gauges and kms was cut out of my search. If you can't be honest and clear about how many kms the car has done, what else are you skimming over?

I'd take a golf R or audi RS3 over any boy racer looking shit any day. If I'm going to spend 60 large on a car I want to look like an adult not a child.

This

Why I didn't buy another R33

To me gotta be practical, space for work stuff, riding gear, tow bar etc. 

Also gotta have some decent tech built in, not the 'boy racer pioneer headunits' :P Sounds simple but bluetooth integration alone is great, oh and cruise control even, didn't get any of that on my old GTR!

Edited by UNR33L

Driving a less enjoyable toy car because worried about what anonymous people may think instead of being comfortable and saying "I enjoy driving enjoyable cars"
k

Keep 'driving' your 'enjoyable' car then ..
  • Like 1

Cars as status symbols? Embarrassing no matter how you explain it away.

Yep, this...

If I had a dollar every time someone proved themselves to be a**holes cause they think you drive a shitty car, I could afford two more coffees today!

My favorite are the ones who claim to own a supercar or other cool car, and then when you call them out have no idea what they are talking about.

My wife managed to call out a "Ferrari" owner once in a bank. Dude was trying to pick her up, going on about his Ferrari. She was like: "oh what model, cause we have an M5 and it's pretty fast". He was stupid enough to carry on with his lie and was like: "oh you know the turbo one" (this was pre- California T and 488). She automatically assumed he owned something from the 80s. When queried, he couldn't name a single 80s model... Genius.

He ended up admitting he didn't actually own it (whatever "it" was), but he would one day... yeah, alright mate, of course you will.

14 hours ago, joeyjoejoejuniorshabadoo said:

I'd take a golf R or audi RS3 over any boy racer looking shit any day. If I'm going to spend 60 large on a car I want to look like an adult not a child.

Adults are obsolete children

1 hour ago, HEKT1K said:

This

Why I didn't buy another R33

You didn't wanna drop 60k on another gtst? Can't blame you for that...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve85 said:

Jesus! That 32R is ruined! Body looked destroyed and 245 000 kms? Jesus, damn thing has been to the moon and back (ok no quite, but it has gone a crazy long way). If that car were mine, i'd be looking to part it out. 

Still that that 33R will sell in the range of 40k (i think). Which given it's a high km car is still a considerable amount.

55k? No i don't think so. And this whole having two gauge clusters is a pain in the backside. In the end of my search, anyone who wasn't 100% clear on the gauges and kms was cut out of my search. If you can't be honest and clear about how many kms the car has done, what else are you skimming over?

Gauge/cluster doesn't come into my consideration at all when buying a car, unless it's stupidly high and indicates heavy use.

You can't trust the cars let alone the owners and most car owners don't know shit about their cars anyway. I've dealt with some great and honest people, and also some shifty/dodgy looking people and some of my best finds have oddly come from the latter.

But lol, the number of people selling cars who I've actually helped diagnose engine and gearbox problems for...

Just go over everything yourself, do the comp tests etc. and / or get stateroads to inspect I say.

• Like 1

Well for me it came into it because I wanted to have a documented, low km car.
That said condition was more important, but i wanted both and so paid for that (literally).

I personally think that a low km car in good condition, that can be proved, will appreciate to a higher point than something without paperwork.

Just my 2 cents though. I guess we'll know in a few more years.

Also I agree with you about the some owners...

A small part of me admires people who have the guts to just pull something apart that they don't understand or have any info on.

Most of me thinks this is insane.

3 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

Also I agree with you about the some owners...

A small part of me admires people who have the guts to just pull something apart that they don't understand or have any info on.

Most of me thinks this is insane.

Best way to learn...

Also nothing motivates you like "you won't get to work tomorrow if you don't fix this tonight"

When I worked at a workshop and did things to my car, if I didn't fix it that night I wouldn't make it home lol...never once got stuck there...

Just now, Birds said:

Best way to learn...

To a point though...

Don't strip the electrics out of your car, if you don't own a soldering iron and a pair of crimpers.

Make sure you have the right tools and some idea of what you are doing and how things generally come apart and go back together.

^That's what my mind says to me anyhow...

38 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

Yep, this...

If I had a dollar every time someone proved themselves to be a**holes cause they think you drive a shitty car, I could afford two more coffees today!

My favorite are the ones who claim to own a supercar or other cool car, and then when you call them out have no idea what they are talking about.

My wife managed to call out a "Ferrari" owner once in a bank. Dude was trying to pick her up, going on about his Ferrari. She was like: "oh what model, cause we have an M5 and it's pretty fast". He was stupid enough to carry on with his lie and was like: "oh you know the turbo one" (this was pre- California T and 488). She automatically assumed he owned something from the 80s. When queried, he couldn't name a single 80s model... Genius.

He ended up admitting he didn't actually own it (whatever "it" was), but he would one day... yeah, alright mate, of course you will.

There's points to both sides of this. I am fortunate that my employers don't care what car I drive. However, there are some industries where a car is no different to a suit and will be used to judge your success and personality even if the assumptions are off-point. I don't envy these - it's a job expense as far as I'm concerned. You wear an ill-fitting cheap suit and it rubs off on your image, ala Hamish if he were to drive a 33 again...in spite of the gingham shirt. And if Alex drove around in anything less than a Lexus people might think real estate agents aren't pretentious dbags and we can't have that.

• Like 1