SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

The joys of selling cars, had nothing for a month or so, as soon as the spring/summer weather comes out had about 6 different enquires in a week - still waiting for someone to cough up the dough though. Darn tyre kickers, I mean there's only 2 of them in Victoria for sale at the moment anyway. 

Edited by UNR33L

If the Triumph sells before the ford does.... GG

Though minor setback at the moment... Apparently motor is super rattely. Gotta check head tappets/shim clearance. Rocker cover gasket will probably perish if sneezed on, so gotta source another before ripping the cover off... Otherwise it runs and drives pretty good apparently.

Could be timing chain guide is gone, but that's too much work.

Let's see if I can sell my exernal oil pump kit quicker than either of you

Might as well not write descriptions as people don't read them anyway

And no I won't swap for a Tomei internal that's only done "dyno time". There's likely a good reason you took it out...

So got some interstate buyer that's agreed on a price and wants to deposit money into my account, sight unseen. Apart from a video  I sent.. feels like a scam, but you can't reverse bank transfers can you unless it was unauthorised? (hacked) correct?

Should I just give account details of an account I never use then transfer it to my other account once cleared let courier pick up?

Edited by UNR33L

49 minutes ago, UNR33L said:

So got some interstate buyer that's agreed on a price and wants to deposit money into my account, sight unseen. Apart from a video  I sent.. feels like a scam, but you can't reverse bank transfers can you unless it was unauthorised? (hacked) correct?

Should I just give account details of an account I never use then transfer it to my other account once cleared let courier pick up?

If it's just the deposit who cares...don't release car until you have the balance in the form of cash or a bank cheque...no probs.

Edit: just realised you might be talking about parts?

so they transfer the coin, courier picks it up the next day, then the transfer fails a couple days later and the bank reverses the transaction.

money leaves your account if you have transferred it out then your in negative.

common scam.

banks now have funds appear in your account prior to the transaction finalising that can take days/week  if it fails they just reverse it.

your out of a car that you have signed over.. even more common they accidentally transfer too much and ask you to give the balance to the courier...so your out of car and cash.

if you do this talk to your bank about confirming the transfer prior to handing over the car. tho the buyer will want to pick it up same day for some "unknown" reason

I have always found its just easier to take cash or for larger amounts, A bank cheque.

a bank cheque is as good as cash as the bank has to have taken the money from them before they will print it, it's only a trip to the bank to organise and most car loans will come with a free bank cheque offer included in the package you have to go into the bank to sign anyway.

If it's only a deposit via EFT to hold the car until they come down to check it in person, sure into an account you don't really use/keep cash in just in case it's a scam to get your details to setup some direct debits, but not for a whole car. If it looks and smells like a scam it's probably a scam.

So mighty car mods got a focus RS... Now Leigh can be a chopped fan boi too

They have been going to get it for ages, they went to the factory in Europe to do a factory tour/disrupt productivity on the production of their specific car.

2 hours ago, Birds said:

If it's just the deposit who cares...don't release car until you have the balance in the form of cash or a bank cheque...no probs.

Edit: just realised you might be talking about parts?

The whole sum, so over 30k, I mean I called him and he sounded legit.  

Doesn't matter in the end anyway, I had another guy look at the car tonight and played them against each other and sold to this guy tonight and deposit taken :)

Edited by UNR33L
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Leroy Peterson said:

So mighty car mods got a focus RS... Now Leigh can be a chopped fan boi too

Ironically that episode comes out the day I sell mine and also got follow up call from Subaru Mentone about the STI I checked out a few months back.. it's like they knew. Now I gotta book a test drive the same day with both of them.

Throw in a SSV for the V8 m8's too

Edited by UNR33L

The whole sum, so over 30k, I mean I called him and he sounded legit.  
Doesn't matter in the end anyway, I had another guy look at the car tonight and played them against each other and sold to this guy tonight and deposit taken [emoji4]

No way that's legit. Nobody would actually buy a car sight unseen privately by EFT.

Scammers typically succeed with two mentalities of victims: desperation and/or opportunity chasing. If they can't capitalise on someone's desperation, they will try to create an offer they won't refuse (opportunity).

Both emotions blind victims to even obvious telltales of it being a scam. Trick here is to never let an opportunity or desperate situation leverage what you would ordinarily be willing to do were it not an enticing offer.

Like the guy who offered to buy my CSGO knife through PayPal for more than it costs to buy one on the steam market (1st redlight). He made an effort to tell me he'd do it with no chargebacks so that I couldn't be scammed (2nd red light).

Told him to  buy it off me through steam marketplace and he said it was too hard to add money to the steam wallet (3rd red light) - you do this through 4-5 clicks and PayPal lol. By that point I was just having fun with him breaking down his excuses, but remained defiant until the end that he wasn't trying to scam me.