SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

Although the day is spent celebrating the culture and identity of being a modern-day Australian, the date itself is of the first fleet arriving which was the start of a horrible history for the aboriginals.

I don't believe people are against celebrating being Australian however doing it on that particular date is the problem for some.

I'm sure if you asked a bunch of bogans why it's 26th Jan they wouldn't have a clue but still be celebrating being an Australian.

Perhaps the day could be moved to a date when there was a form of peace/understanding/step-change to what makes Australia today.

Why? We already have enough of those days...Anniversary of the Apology, National Sorry Day, Anniversary of the 1967 Referendum, Mabo Day, International Day of Indigenous People, National Aboriginal and Torres St Islander Children's Day, NAIDOC Week and Reconciliation Week.

The past can not be changed, but the Australian Government provides many educational and general resources for these days, for the nation to be inclusive of Indigenous culture, and encourage Australians to reflect and celebrate Indigenous culture and heritage.

Bring on Australia Day.

Why? We already have enough of those days...Anniversary of the Apology, National Sorry Day, Anniversary of the 1967 Referendum, Mabo Day, International Day of Indigenous People, National Aboriginal and Torres St Islander Children's Day, NAIDOC Week and Reconciliation Week.

The past can not be changed, but the Australian Government provides many educational and general resources for these days, for the nation to be inclusive of Indigenous culture, and encourage Australians to reflect and celebrate Indigenous culture and heritage.

Bring on Australia Day.

But none of those days are a public holiday.

Past cannot be changed but to celebrate the date with a public holiday & then have multiple reconciliation days seems a bit odd.

If we are celebrating the culture of Australia it would make more sense to choose a date which is a positive note for everyone.

Past cannot be changed but to celebrate the date with a public holiday & then have multiple reconciliation days seems a bit odd.

If we are celebrating the culture of Australia it would make more sense to choose a date which is a positive note for everyone.

If every single significant date had a public holiday attached to it, we'd hardly be at work!

There are so many school and community events for each of the days I listed, along with resources, including many internet sites, educational information and information to hold your own event.

Attend an event for one of our many Indigenous days/weeks, might make you feel better

Public holidays are meaningless to unemployed abos jus sayin

• Like 1

If every single significant date had a public holiday attached to it, we'd hardly be at work!

There are so many school and community events for each of the days I listed, along with resources, including many internet sites, educational information and information to hold your own event.

Attend an event for one of our many Indigenous days/weeks, might make you feel better

The argument is to swap the date of the public holiday. Not add more/remove public holiday. To pick a date which reflects on a milestone everyone can be proud of and celebrate together.

The argument is to swap the date of the public holiday. Not add more/remove public holiday. To pick a date which reflects on a milestone everyone can be proud of and celebrate together.

My response was to you complaining that the other significant days are not a public holiday. I've spent 30 years in a town with a high Indigenous population and they celebrate Australia Day too; seems you're the only one not happy :)

All the invasion day crap is outdated and irrelevant, as is the true origin of Australia Day. Most people these days don't give a shit what happened over 200 years ago, hence a lot of people couldn't tell you the real meaning behind it Australia Day. Whether you like it or not, it's since evolved into a day of simply being proud of our country and what it means to be an Australian today. It has little connection to the past other than what the government run events and formalities connect to it. With the original purpose lost in translation and left in the past, so too should the counter purpose of the day, being an Aboriginal day of mourning. Leave them both in the past and out of Australia Day altogether. No need for a date change, just don't draw a "perpetually offended on behalf of other people" connection between the modern pissup/celebration and NSW being landed in over 200 years ago; then there's no real issue. It's a day of bbqs, beer and fun with multiple cultures and all but a minority of people in the country are happy with that. Can't please everyone anyway.

nb: honestly surprised Australia hasn't already conceded a name change to invasion day, given we already pander everything else to outspoken minorities in the hope of not offending.

• Like 2

My response was to you complaining that the other significant days are not a public holiday. I've spent 30 years in a town with a high Indigenous population and they celebrate Australia Day too; seems you're the only one not happy :)

Considering the Australian of the year said in his speech that it is a difficult date to accept for Aboriginals, I don't think it's only me.

Birds -spot on, the day has morphed into a celebration of being Australian - not the arrival of a boat. If our identity spans across each day of the year - then why can't the date be challenged.

Sadly they are the minority due to the actions of the majority & although we can't 'please everyone' I would have thought that the the traditional owners would be at the top of the list seeing as we are too busy to please everyone.

Food for thought, Happy Australia Day :)

Gooby pls.

The kind of people that are hugely proud to be Australian are either dole-bludging bogans or tradies... neither of whom need any more time off work...

Lol more lazy posturing from the Brighton ivory tower

Keep it up

So from what I get here..

the original inhabitants, f**k em too late for them why should we care..

Anyone from a White country that been here more than 20 years..good on you mate.

Wooo f**k letting any-one else in we prefer now, block all refugees and bugger off letting any chinese in they only raising the house costs for me.

what I am reading in the above posts is the most racist bullshit.

I thought aussies were more tolerant, but now I see where all this shit comes from.

Go get your southern cross tattoo in bali and quit taring the rest of us with that brush.

• Like 1

Why can't the day just celebrate the country as a whole? If the British hadn't of come here and colonised, someone else would have come and most likely wiped aboriginals off the face of the earth. I'm not saying what happened in our history is a good thing, but f**k it could have been so much worse.